Bonsai Open - 2023

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Re: Bonsai Open - 2023

Post by tgward »

logistics prevents me and possibly many others-- however still a great concept and hope it is well supported by a wide range of artists from all states
Alan Peck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Newcastle

Post by Alan Peck »

Interesting to read all about the motives for prize money.
Someone had to do it at some time to encourage a higher standard and plan participation. We should all be striving for improvements in our individual art and it should be welcomed by all. Just taking part should be enough incentive to exhibit at a higher standard.
Some would say that entering with trees from our peers is a good thing but professionals should not be put in the same category as 'peers'.
I have also heard from comments that it would be more encouraging to exhibit if professionals didn't take part to level off the playing field.
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by Elmer »

Alan Peck wrote: January 8th, 2023, 5:16 pm I have also heard from comments that it would be more encouraging to exhibit if professionals didn't take part to level off the playing field.
I don't have anything even remotely close to show worthy but having a prize sponsor also be recipient of the prize is not the most encouraging for others to consider entering.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

There’s no perfect way to do it

A) allow professionals = super high quality trees on show which is what everyone wants to see, however that means fewer amateur entries and some possibly getting discouraged or irritated that the professionals quite rightly win awards given their trees are better.

B) no professionals is the reverse, lesser quality trees which might not attract the crowds/ reduces the prestige of the show in some people’s eyes, but encourages participation

I agree with Elmer it’s not great as far as encouraging amateurs to participate for professionals to be winning all the prizes, even though they are likely to have the better trees. But then is it better to have a rule of professionals aren’t eligible for prizes and then amateurs know they aren’t playing on an equal footing either. Does that diminish the perceived value of the voting system

Maybe have two separate entry categories with separate prizes the pro and amateur? Means voting twice I guess and having extra prizes which is hard when it comes to cash prizes.

I’m very keen to see how the show goes, see the quality of the trees etc, I’m thinking of rejoining a club a ways away from me to start participating in shows with my very average trees.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Agree with TimS, two prizes are the go or at least a certificate of encouragement. These things go a long way to boost self esteem for amateurs to show their trees and to enforce they are at least on the right track. Encouragement never goes a stray. Prizes don’t need to be $$$$ :imo:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Alan Peck wrote: January 8th, 2023, 5:16 pm Some would say that entering with trees from our peers is a good thing but professionals should not be put in the same category as 'peers'.
I have also heard from comments that it would be more encouraging to exhibit if professionals didn't take part to level off the playing field.

As it is promoted as a Bonsai "Open" - What's the classification of a professional? Who would get to judge who is & who is not?
Whilst I'm not associated with any bonsai club, never visited Japan, & still happy to use store bought potting mix - would I forever be judged as an amateur? :lost:
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by Elmer »

I am not even an amateur, maybe in another 5yrs when I can keep things alive 🙃 and maybe by then I would be happy to show my amateur attempts next to a professional's work as long as that distinction is reflected in the feedback/critique, competition can improve the quality of every participant or passionate newb wannabe participant's trees if a fair playing field is presented.

Many of the best trees in Kokufu et al are excluded from judging, does it stop owners/artists putting those trees forward for exhibition? NO!!!! The prestige of having previously won and then being able to maintain that winning image far surpasses the original win... I for one would love to see previous Bonsai Open winning trees exhibited again, excluded from judging... OR.. with regards my previous post, a sponsor of a particular prize have their trees entered in that category excluded from judging.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I think of the Bonsai Open similar to the Australian Golf Open. At the golf open, if you qualify, no matter your status, you can play and compete. There have been numerous amateur golf open winners and professionals as well, it is a level playing field, best player on the occasion. This is similar, if you have the best tree you win but the magic for me is having a tree accepted to display which I think is a great honor.
This event is nothing like Kokufu but it is more like the Trophy in Europe. Bonsai artists from all over Europe try to get trees accepted so they may have the privilege of exhibiting their work at Europe's number one bonsai event, professionals and amateurs alike.
Everything that increases the quality of bonsai in Australia is a good thing.
Currently the National Bonsai & Penjing Collection of Australia has a "competition" for ceramic artists to create a pot for a specific tree in the national collection, and there is prize money on offer for the winning pot. And the competition is open to amateurs and professionals alike. This is a fantastic opportunity for pot makers around Australia.
The NBPCA also has a tree acquisition "competition" currently happening, also with money involved. This is also open to everyone, no discrimination. Another fantastic opportunity for someone within the bonsai community.
For all those people being negative about this event please be careful you don't kill the golden goose.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I’m not being negative whatsoever about it, I’m very excited about ways to advance bonsai in Australia.

it’s just an interesting study in how a show is run to motivate both professionals and amateurs alike. Whether that’s motivation to compete as well, or motivation to keep improving their trees or motivation to begin the hobby in the first place.

It’s an Australian mindset the notion of a fair go, so just balancing a fair go for everyone is all I’m talking about.

The Trophy as the parallel is a good example for sure of having both professionals and amateurs, I really hope it succeeds with flying colours and kicks off the next level of bonsai in Australia as similar competitions have done around the world
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Professional just means the practitioner is earning a living from the pursuit of Bonsai. Amateurs do not. It doesn't mean anything about the quality of the trees. Some "amateurs" have had many more years experience with Bonsai than some "professionals".

Having said that, all the trees that won prizes in last years Bonsai Open were presented by people earning a living through Bonsai. I'm sure it was good for their business, at least the 2 that do a majority of customer work. However there were many high quality trees on display by "amateurs" and I'm sure the competition was very close. It would have been a difficult show to judge.

And either way, the 2 Bonsai Opens that I have attended have attracted great trees that may not have been displayed before to such a variety and broad group of people. I applaud the Central Coast Bonsai Club for taking the initiative and hope that it continues to be a great show that grows only better. :clap: :aussie:
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

The concept of this show is outstanding I think.
If I had the ways and means I would absolutely look at entering a tree for display… I think the cash incentive isn’t really the driving factor for me, but it sure doesn’t hurt. Unfortunately logistics mean it’s not a viable proposition however.
I actually think the greatest part about it is anybody can submit an entry. Most shows run by clubs are only open to club members when it comes to putting a tree forward for exhibition, which in many respects is perfectly understandable. As somebody not associated with a club though, I have never exhibited a tree in a proper “bonsai show”. I would jump at the chance if a similar concept was available in my area just for the experience.
I applaud the Central Coast Bonsai Club for their initiative, if I was to join a club it is this kind of progressive thinking that would attract me as much as anything else. Good luck to them for a fantastic show and I would encourage any bonsai enthusiast contemplating a submission to have a crack…
:beer:
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

1 week to enter Bonsai Open - 2023

Post by sreeve »

Entry Closing Date – Only one week to go….
If you are keen to compete for the “Bonsai Open” prizes or seek an opportunity to compare your bonsai to peers who may not be in your local club, entries close 20 January 2023.

There is only one week remaining if you would like to submit an entry application.

A copy of the entry guideline is attached, and further details can be found on the Central Coast Bonsai Club’s website.
Bonsai+Open+Rules_+Exhibit+Guide+_Entry+Form_Ver1.2.pdf

Some other thoughts
Further to the significant thoughts and great comments in the thread above, I would like to share some of my thoughts.

Intent
In conceiving the Bonsai Open in 2019 we acknowledged the enthusiasm of the Australian bonsai community and sought to:
- Provide an event encouraging enthusiasts to exhibit and demonstrate their art to the wider bonsai community in a unique competition
- Allow entrants to:
* Compare their bonsai against peers in a circle greater than their local club or local area.
* Compete for significant prizemoney.
* Achieve recognition even if they didn’t win a prize.
- Offer attendees a chance to:
* Enjoy a superb bonsai exhibition, demonstrations, learning, networking and potentially embrace a new hobby.
* Attend a large free tutorial / demonstration event running in parallel with the competition.
* Meet with peers and gain ideas and concepts on how they could improve their bonsai.[/list][/list][/list]

Held in conjunction with the Central Coast Bonsai Club’s Annual Show, the “Bonsai Open” affords an opportunity for our club members to compare their bonsai against a wider circle of peers.
From my side, this has proven invaluable in being able to compare my trees against people outside our club.
Where else would a person like me be able to achieve this?

Prizemoney
Whilst the “Intent” described above was noble, we felt significant prize money might entice a wider range of participants.

NSW has fantastic bonsai but so does ACT, Victoria, and Queensland – arguably better.
(Unfortunately quarantine laws prohibit free entry from other states)

We are yet to draw a significant representative proportion of entries from VIC or QLD even though the travel time is considerably reduced nowadays and the potential prize money large (at least in my thinking).

Having said that, we are highly appreciative of the participation levels of people from all across NSW and ACT.

Professional vs Amateur
Any Australian Bonsai artist can enter the “Bonsai Open” irrespective of whether they are a “Professional” or “Amateur”.

One may challenge whether it is fair that an Amateur might compete against a Professional in the “Bonsai Open”?

We think it is.
There is no guarantee that a “Professional” will beat an “Amateur”.

The Central Coast Bonsai Club is blessed to have two extraordinary “Professional” bonsai artists, Hugh Grant and Andrew Edge.
Each competes in our monthly bench competition against amateurs like me.
Certainly, their trees are exceptional, and they win their fair share…but they don’t win every time.

However, every time they enter….every club member wins…..

We can compare our art against theirs, observe improvements we could make and get an opportunity to ask or seek advice as to how certain achievements were made.
We would never preclude Hugh or Andrew from competing in our club competitions, we are blessed to have them.

If we wanted to preclude a “Professional” we would first need to define a “Professional” bonsai artist.

Is a “Professional” bonsai artist a person who gains their income from the art of bonsai?

I can immediately think of two “Professional” bonsai artists who have less competency than a number of top quality “Amateur” bonsai artists.
Should we preclude those “Amateur” bonsai artists?

Conversely, I could (but will not) name four “Amateur” bonsai artists that could easily gain a successful income from bonsai if they were to treat it as their full-time employ.

In my opinion the separation between “Professional” and “Amateur is a grey area.

The Elephant in the Room
If we want to talk about the elephant in the room….
What are people’s thoughts about an “Amateurs” tree that is significantly designed by a “Professional”.
Should that tree be eligible?

Overseas an “Amateurs” tree may be designed, cared, and managed by a “Professional”.
Should those trees be entered?

What about the learnings and skill we gain form a “Professional” which subsequently enables us to evolve such that our “Amateur” capability and trees might be of “Professional” level?

“Professional” vs “Amateur” a true Pandora’s box.

Whilst pondering the above…….don’t forget there is only one week remaining to enter the Bonsai Open.

Best Regards
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

I absolutely love any initiative which encourages the display of good quality bonsai (at any level) and thereby inspires enthusiasts at all levels.

In a few short years, I look forward to entering one or more of my own trees. I hope that the Bonsai Open is there when my trees and I are ready.

Massive thanks to those with the foresight and who have given their time to get and keep this up and running. I hope that they continue to get the support that they need and deserve to keep it going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

A high standard of entry’s all round will raise the general level of Bonsai, and so we should all enter if practical. I intend to enter a couple of natives; Banksia of course.

See you there,

Grant
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

Bonsai Open - 4 & 5 March 2023

Post by sreeve »

2 weeks until....Bonsai Open 4th & 5th March.
Bonsai Open 2023.pdf

Entry $7 per person each day - enabling you to enjoy Exhibition, Demonstrations and Vendor areas.
Children are free.

Beautiful bonsai will be on display from the Central Coast, Sydney, Newcastle, wider NSW, ACT and Tasmania.

Vendors include:
  • Ray & Clinton Nesci (Bonsai Nursery)
  • Hugh Grant TreeMakers)
  • Evan Marsh (Shohin)
  • Denise Allen (Handcrafted Pots) and
  • Club Members Sales area

Demonstrations have a particular focus:

Saturday 4 March
10am – 12pm................Australian Native Material.........Marcela Ferreira & Hugh Grant
1.30pm – 3.30pm........Shohin.................................................Evan Marsh & Andrew Edge

Sunday 5 March
10am – 12pm................Exotic Material..................................Tony Bebb & Joe Morgan-Payler
1.30pm – 3.30pm........Australian Native Material..........Marcela Ferreira & Joe Morgan-Payler

Demonstration trees will be auctioned after each demonstration.
The excellent demonstration material includes:
  • 1 Very Advanced Squamata (Courtesy Central Coast Club Member). This very advanced tree was in a 2019 demo with Kunio Kobayashi.
  • 1 Advanced Casuarina (Courtesy Ausbonsai member)
  • 2 Junipers for Shohin demonstrations (Courtesy Evan Marsh)
  • 1 Advanced Banksia (Courtesy of Bonsai World who grew this stock for us over 10+ yrs)
  • 1 Advanced Swamp Cyprus (Courtesy Bonsai World who grew this stock for us over 10+ yrs)
  • 2 Advanced Leptospermum (Courtesy Bonsai World who grew this stock for us over 10+ yrs)

Four Raffle prizes will be offered, each valued over $750.
Tickets can be purchased at the door. $5 for 10 tickets or $10 for 30 tickets.

Based on past experience there will be heaps to see and do each day.

If you are wondering where you can get a feed, the Mingara club (largest on the Central Coast) has several great restaurants and café’s.

Despite the magnificent bonsai, great vendors, excellent demonstrations and attractive raffle prizes....without stating the obvious.... the event will only be a success if a lot of bonsai enthusiasts participate. I look forward to seeing you at the event.

Regards
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”