Bonsai Open - 2023

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

Bonsai Open - 2023

Post by sreeve »

Hi

The 2023 Bonsai Open will be held 4th & 5th March 2023.

Entry is open to all Australian bonsai artists and a significant prize pool is offered to attract exceptional entries:

1st Prize.......................$2,500
2nd Prize......................$1,000
3rd prize......................$500
Best Australian Native..$1,000

We will soon post the entry guidelines and promotional flyers, but please make a note of the event dates.
(Entries will close circa 20 Jan 2023).

In addition to a superb bonsai display, visitors can expect:

Free concurrent demonstrations with:
  • Marcela Ferreira
  • Hugh Grant
  • Joe Morgan-Payler
  • Andrew Edge
  • Evan Marsh
  • Tony Bebb
A comprehensive sales area lead by:
  • Ray & Clinton Nesci (event Gold Sponsor)
  • Tree Makers
  • Denise Allen speciality pots
  • Club Sales
Demonstration trees will be auctioned and there will be huge raffle prizes available.

It will be a great weekend, not only to experience the above but to catch up with fellow bonsai enthusiasts.

We look forward to welcoming you.

Regards
Steve (on behalf of the Central Coast Bonsai Club)
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Bonsai Open - 2023

Post by Watto »

Looking forward to it.
I recommend booking accommodation early.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Yay!!
Hopefully I might be able to make it next year :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sreeve »

It's soooo good to see heaps of activity and involvement in Bonsai around Australia again with the easing of restrictions and a return to normal (or a new normal).

There are heaps of phenomenal trees that have been posted here in the past couple of months.

If you are keen to enter the Bonsai Open and either compare your tree against peers around Australia, or have a crack at the $5k on offer, please remember that entries close 20 Jan 2023.

Details can be found on the Central Coast Bonsai Club's website: https://www.centralcoastbonsai.com.au

Regards
Steve
ps - Watto, have you booked accomodation for you and your lovely wife on the seaside yet?
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Steve - if it was just me attending I would be pitching a tent on the beach, but the darling is definitely coming so it will be 5 star all the way.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Max Jenkem
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Banksia, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 23

Post by Max Jenkem »

Sounds awesome but am I going blind, I can't see an event location anywhere on the site?
Sydney
NSW
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Its being held at the Mingara club.
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sreeve »

Hi Max,
I think we published everything ........but seem to have kept the location a secret...... :oops: :oops:
(Thanks for the heads up, we have corrected that)

Watto,
Thanks for pointing out that the event will be held at the Mingara Club, Tumbi Umbi, NSW.

The Mingara club is a big club with a massive carpark, lots of restaurants, cafes and a few bars.

There will be heaps to do and see in the way of top quality NSW and interstate bonsai on exhibition, free demonstrations by some of the best Australian Bonsai artists and lots to buy from the various vendors.
In between all that the restaurants and cafe's allow people to stay well fed and watered.

The following flyer provides a little more detail.
Bonsai Open 2023.pdf
Regards
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Open - What are your thoughts

Post by sreeve »

I am making an early call…….

I am currently the odds on favourite to win the Bonsai Open 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Best Aussie native categories.
It looks like I will pick up a cool $5k.

That is, provided no one realises the closing date for entries is looming….20 January 2023……

I just listened to a great “Bonsai Wire” podcast and had occasion to look at the prizemoney they offered at the “Pacific Bonsai Expo”.

I think they offered a total of US$12,500 prizemoney, apportioned across 5 categories.
It appears only 1st place in each category received $$$.

Our club isn’t comparable to the above event and only offers a paltry A$5,000 but I wonder what your thoughts are………

The Bonsai Open should provide an opportunity:
1) For NSW and interstate Bonsai artists to exhibit / compete.
2) To compare our bonsai against peers.
3) To be recognised for our artistic efforts by exhibiting our art and potentially receiving $$$ recognition
4) Providing an opportunity for the general public to see what quality bonsai looks like, whetting their appetite
5) Providing an opportunity for feedback from peers and mentors as to how we can improve.
6) An opportunity to watch 5 Aussie bonsai icons demonstrate over the weekend …. free of charge.
7) An opportunity to catch up with friends etc

There are undoubtedly many more benefits.

So why is the uptake so poor with only one month to go before entries close…..

- Is offering prize money in Australia a waste of time.
- Is offering prize money anti-Aussie.
- Is offering prize money anti-bonsai community
- Are we afraid our trees might not be as good as our peers.
- Why is it so hard to get people to enter a bonsai competition.

Regards
Steve
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I’m just a complete novice punter in this game, I have maybe 1 tree I could squint at from across the back yard with a blindfold on and consider being in a show. No accent plant though so it wouldn’t really be a proper display.

If money is involved in thinking super high quality (not my trees) then throw in being interstate and it’s just not in my sphere of what I’m going to be participating in sorry.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

There may be a number of reasons,
  • People leaving it until the last minute - I know I leave most things until just before they need doing, and the rest gone done afterwards.
  • Travelling for the weekend may put people off - I'm fortunate enough to have my mother live just down the road from the event
  • Prize money may make people feel their trees won't stack up against their peers
  • Or possibly a lack of awareness - how are you getting the word out there?
A few notes on The Pacific Bonsai Expo as a comparison,
  • America has a much larger population
  • Many of the entries were from Bonsai Professionals or their students
  • It was the first of its kind on the Wast Coast
  • Prize money was perhaps less of an incentive than having a tree displayed in that setting
  • They are having it every 2nd year so it gives people more time to prepare a tree and a rest in between - unless they are also going to exhibit in The National which is on the other years
Unfortunately I don't have a tree that is quite ready yet. Definitely in 2 years I'll have a few, maybe 1 or 2 next year. At least ill be aiming for that, so the Bonsai Open is definitely an incentive for me to get some trees further developed and show ready.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sreeve »

Hi Tim and Dan,

Thanks very much for taking the time to note your thoughts and comments, much appreciated.

I agree that many people (me included) leave things to the last minute for a variety of reasons.

I think many of us have a common trait in not wanting to exhibit or portray an idea, concept, item or art form (etc) that may not be top notch.

From my side, I always fear being last or inferior. Yet I know full well that entering a bonsai competition gives me a real buzz.
I am proud of my trees even though they are nowhere near as good as other peoples trees.

By entering a competition I recognise I have a unique opportunity to line my tree up against peers and superiors and see what opportunities there are for me to improve.
I can also garner comments and input from others to help me in my journey.

Why should we “self-judge” our trees and elect not to enter a competition – even before we face any real competitor.

If we remove the prize money, will we attract the best of the best. (Keep in mind that the Central Coast is a regional club / area and doesn’t have the “pulling power” of Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Newcastle and other cities / regional cities.)

An interesting discussion – I look forward to coming to terms with it myself and look forward to other thoughts.

Regards
Steve
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

I am a big supporter of this concept (offering prize money for bonsai exhibition) and it reminds me of the early stage of the Nolanders Trophy (now The Trophy) which has grown to the most prestigious exhibition in Europe. There were a few rocky years early on but in the end rewards have been fantastic. Every bonsai artist in Europe now wants a tree accepted into that show and artists travel through many countries to get there and its is simply the biggest bonsai exhibition you can imagine.
My trees are not of the winning standard but in the two years I have had trees accepted I know that I have put more effort in their presentation and display and next year I hope to have another display approved/accepted for exhibition.
Competition improves performance is an old (but true) sporting saying and I think it also holds true with bonsai. If you love your bonsai you want them to look their best and to allow others to also enjoy them then getting exhibitors from eastern Australia to come together show their trees is a simply fantastic goal. AND if they are shown with some of the best bonsai, even better.
BUT I am happy to share the prize money 50/50 with Steve.......
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

'a paltry $5000' -- interesting. I reckon any competition will raise quality.
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Only 2 weeks to enter Bonsai Open - 2023

Post by sreeve »

Hi
Just a reminder, if you would like to enter a tree into the Bonsai Open, there are only two weeks left until the closing deadline (20 January 2023).

Entry details can be found on the club's website
Bonsai Open 2023 March 2 weeks to enter.jpg

Looking forward to receiving your entry and / or welcoming you to the event.

Regards
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”