Bonsai Open Native pics

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
MattM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 2

Bonsai Open Native pics

Post by MattM »

A few pictures from the Bonsai Open. I'm only interested in natives so it's just 3 x Mel.Nodosa, 2 x Kunzea and 2 x Banksias. The flowering Green Cape Serrata was my pick of the show. Got me buggered why Aussie's bonsai exotics, these natives were stunning, and they're ours.
( There were heaps of figs on display, but they don't interest me)
MattImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

MattM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia

Re: Bonsai Open Native pics

Post by MattM »

I used tapatalk to upload but the picture quality is bad????
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

Thanks for the photos Matt .
I pinched this photo from the Newcastle Bonsia Facebook . From their information , it’s the winning native tree a Kunzea ambigua .
64597C2C-DA70-4C65-B03D-EF5D3F0825BD.jpeg

It looks like they need taller backdrops .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Not only the winning Native, but also send place in the Bonsai Open. Third place was Grants Green Cape Banksia. So 2nd and 3rd to Natives :aussie:

It was great to see quite a lot of very good Natives on display. Their quality and uniqueness definitely caught my interest far more than the exotics.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I think the tree was deliberately displayed at that level to allow people to look up at (or into) the tree, in a way that you would look up at any tree in the bush.
Anyway, that is my interpretation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

tempImage7XqX17.gif
The full display. The owner grew up on the central coast and has worked a lot with Kunzea ambigua. It grows along the coast on the sandstone cliffs and is usually accompanied by Ficus rubigonsa tucked into the bottom of the cliffs. Hence the kunzea is on a high stand and the accompanying plant is Ficus rubiginosa. Im not sure what the small accent is, but I assume it is also a locally growing plant.
tempImage1obR16.gif
A a full pic on the display of the Melaleuca nodosa. An interesting display with all the classic elements done in a cheeky way :tu:
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Grants Green Cape Banksia is a wonderful tree. It's very full and so it is hard to see the detail in the structure from a photo. The bark was well developed right out to the leaves. A good example of great and consistent technique applied over a long time. :clap:

And his other Banksia pictured above also showed this character. The roll over in the hollowed out trunk was awesome. Definitely one of my favourites of the show.

boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond

Post by boom64 »

Thanks for all the great photos, awesome trees. Curious to know the height of the Kunzea.
Cheers John.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

dansai wrote: March 7th, 2023, 2:32 pm
A a full pic on the display of the Melaleuca nodosa. An interesting display with all the classic elements done in a cheeky way :tu:
Probably needed several attempts to get that accent looking just right… might even be refining that particular part of the display as we speak. I can appreciate that.
:beer:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

John, here is my bush maths.
The backing was about 120 cm above the tables, so that would make the table about 70 cm, the kunzea was a little bit shorter that the tree so I'm putting the pot (rock) and tree at total height of about 65 cm. Everything is give or take a few metres :lol: :lol:
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

That would be close to my guess too watt
Ryceman3 wrote: March 7th, 2023, 9:12 pm Probably needed several attempts to get that accent looking just right… might even be refining that particular part of the display as we speak. I can appreciate that.
:beer:
You're right Ryan. It did take him a few attempts. Not sure how many, but I'm sure there was a peak in his attempts, then afterwards it all went downhill...

boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond

Post by boom64 »

Thanks, Watto more than happy trust your bush maths and back up from Dansi so all good. From the photo i would have thought a bit bigger. Great tree and great species to work with. Cheers John.

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”