BNW Exhibition and Sale, 29-30 April 2023

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: BNW Exhibition and Sale, 29-30 April 2023

Post by Pearcy001 »

One more week to go, remember to pencil in next weekend for one of the best Bonsai Exhibitions and Sales in Aus!
Bonsai Northwest Melbourne Exhibition 2023 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Going by the prices in the sales area from a few years back, remember to remortgage the house beforehand too :lol:
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

TimS wrote:Going by the prices in the sales area from a few years back, remember to remortgage the house beforehand too Image
Hi Tim,

Good to see you're intending on attending again this year. Prices are set by the individual seller, not the club. As shown by your recent sales threads, sometimes an individual can think their tree is worth more than others do, but most have the etiquette to refrain from vocalising that opinion on the forum in order to support the bonsai community.

As with all local clubs, bargains are usually first out the door. Prices on all things in life is driven by quality, one thing that alot would agree keeps people returning to BNW shows. Like all clubs, I suggest you get down early if you want a bargain this year, or head to Bunnings for some tubestock.

To all that want to support other clubs shows and this amazing hobby, I look forward to seeing you all next weekend.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Pearcy001 wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 8:03 am
TimS wrote:Going by the prices in the sales area from a few years back, remember to remortgage the house beforehand too Image
Hi Tim,

Good to see you're intending on attending again this year. Prices are set by the individual seller, not the club. As shown by your recent sales threads, sometimes an individual can think their tree is worth more than others do, but most have the etiquette to refrain from vocalising that opinion on the forum in order to support the bonsai community.

As with all local clubs, bargains are usually first out the door. Prices on all things in life is driven by quality, one thing that alot would agree keeps people returning to BNW shows. Like all clubs, I suggest you get down early if you want a bargain this year, or head to Bunnings for some tubestock.

To all that want to support other clubs shows and this amazing hobby, I look forward to seeing you all next weekend.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

100% understand it's not the club setting prices, I'm a member of several clubs so I'm not confused to how it works. I've already made my purchases there and looking forward to collecting them!

People (including me) are free to price as they choose as you say, and within that range people are free to buy or not buy as any translation goes.

It is, however, worth alerting those intending to go of what they may find in the sales booth so they can budget accordingly, and as such I commented that the range I saw started at cheeky, progressed to wildly overpriced and ended somewhere between daylight robbery and the kind of money you are asked to pay to release hostages
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:fc: Hopefully some photos of this event will be posted Pearcy.
Judging from the previous years photo's, the display trees should be quite exceptional.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

This would have to be up there as the exhibition to see if you only get to go to one local (Australian) bonsai gig this year. Controversial statement I know… but just trying to illustrate the exhibition is consistently full of high quality and must-see trees every year… anything on the sales tables is really playing second fiddle to the inspiration on offer in the exhibition itself.
And no, I am not a member of BNW (or any other club).
On a somewhat relevant side note though, I’ve never bought a tree at a “sales table” from any exhibition I’ve been to (and I’ve been to probably 30 or so?)… I always look, but I’m there for the main event, not the side show so unless it really speaks to me… meh. (I have bought plenty of pots etc though). Who knows however, this might be the weekend!
Looking forward to it, plan on being there nice and early.
:beer: :yes:

Oh… nearly forgot. I’ll most likely be wearing a grey cap with R3 logo thoughtfully stuck on the right side by my daughter for those who wanna say g’day…
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

G'day R3,

I'll keep an eye out for you. If it's pots you have a taste for, I'm sure you're not going to be disappointed. From what I'm already aware of in the sales area this year, there will be pots from:

1. A members person collection of high end Japanese Tokoname Pots

2. Rod Vert of Underwood Stoneware (Vic)

3. Val Garth (Vic)

4. Elaine Brown from Bonsai Island who is well known for both her Aussie and Imported pots from makers, including:
- Elsebeth Bruun Ludvigsen (Denmark)
- Marie Hewartson (Qld)
- Murrumbung Studio Ceramics (Vic)
- Walsall Studio Ceramics (England)
- Me & Raimondi (Slovenia)
- As well as her ongoing array of Japanese and Tokoname, Vintage & Modern pots.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

To give you an idea of the quality, range (and quantity) Elaine will be bringing with her, here is some of her preparation photos for the show from her facebook - all these pots and more will be available, and this is just the Japanese pots from Bonsai Island alone.
FB_IMG_1682247194518.jpg
FB_IMG_1682247190185.jpg
FB_IMG_1682247187386.jpg
FB_IMG_1682247173000.jpg
FB_IMG_1682247168171.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Pearcy001 wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 9:04 pm To give you an idea of the quality, range (and quantity) Elaine will be bringing with her, here is some of her preparation photos for the show from her facebook - all these pots and more will be available, and this is just the Japanese pots from Bonsai Island alone.
Elaine and I are on pretty good terms… just sayin’ ;)
Always something to find though… you never know what will hit the tables! Her stuff won’t disappoint. I’m sure others are equally capable too, looking forward to it! It’s always good to get behind the local bonsai community, even if you’re not a member.
:beer:
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Clearly biased as I am a member, but I’ve been to nearly every club show in Victoria and this is hands down the best exhibition.

In regards to sales, over the last few years there has been a range of trees on offer - they range from established pieces to younger material.

There’s plenty of great places nearby too to grab a meal, dessert and/or coffee. My suggestion for the day;

- Get to event early and hit the sales area
- Check out the gallery
- Grab a pork roll and pork puff from Nhu Lan Bakery then follow up with a cannoli and coffee from T. Cavallaro & Sons Pasticceria. Ponder more purchases
- Come back to sales area and hope that some rat hasn’t bought the piece you were eyeing off
maple
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 22

Post by maple »

here's a couple of trees that will be for sale that are worth a look.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Just finished up at the show, sensational trees all round and a lot of good stuff in the sales area too. I personally raided the joint for various prunus but there was heaps of interesting stuff available

Great show and a credit to the club and the members
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

I really enjoyed this show. Went on the first day and had a decent look around, chatted to a few people and bought some material.

Went back today as a friend wanted to meet up in the area, and it was nice to see the trees a second time. The first time I admired the trees and how awesome they were. The second time I paid more attention to the wiring, how the movement has been designed, the pot choice, and how it was mossed. All those little fine details which made up the greater composition on display. I found the trees that caught my attention most were the ones that had really good taper. All of which are things I'm going to try and keep in mind for everything I work on now.

My two favourite trees just happen to be Shimpaku and Japanese maples. My camera isn't great but here are some pictures of both being exhibited.

Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

If I could take home one tree from the exhibit… probably this one.
JWP… a lot to like from my perspective.
IMG_2318.jpeg
DavidN
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest Inc

Post by DavidN »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: April 30th, 2023, 9:05 pm I really enjoyed this show. Went on the first day and had a decent look around, chatted to a few people and bought some material.

Went back today as a friend wanted to meet up in the area, and it was nice to see the trees a second time. The first time I admired the trees and how awesome they were. The second time I paid more attention to the wiring, how the movement has been designed, the pot choice, and how it was mossed. All those little fine details which made up the greater composition on display. I found the trees that caught my attention most were the ones that had really good taper. All of which are things I'm going to try and keep in mind for everything I work on now.

My two favourite trees just happen to be Shimpaku and Japanese maples. My camera isn't great but here are some pictures of both being exhibited.

Thank you for visiting and enjoying the show. These two trees are mine and thank you for picking them out as your favourite.
We had a fantastic and enjoyable time over the weekend.
President Bonsai Northwest Inc
Bonsai Northwest Inc - Melbourne http://www.bonsainorthwest.com.au

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”