Sydney Royal Easter Show - Bonsai Classes

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Sydney Royal Easter Show - Bonsai Classes

Post by MelaQuin »

The Show Schedule for the 2009 Royal Easter Show - Flower and Garden Show is out. The bonsai judging is on Wednesday 15 April and the trees stay on exhibit for 2 days. Working?? Not a problem... deliver your exhibits before sparrow's fart and pick them up near the witching hour- only interferes with your sleeping.
No charge to enter trees and the standard of exhibits is becoming very good to excellent.

For the first time entries are available on line at http://www.sydneyroyal.com.au and I presume after pushing the innumerable buttons you will arrive where you want to go to get the info and forms. Otherwise phone for a schedule 02 9704 1449. Get your schedule SOON because you have until February to request a delivery pass to drop off and pick up your trees.

Bonsai are exhibited in a separate room that is locked when the hall closes. There have been no theft problems over the past 5 years I have been exhibiting.

This is a great chance to show a huge public what bonsai really means. The Sydney City Bonsai Club runs a stand in the main hall over the full 14 day show exhibiting bonsai and offering instructions, information and help to anyone interested. If you attend the show and/or exhibit some trees, be sure to stop by, say hello and introduce yourself.

If you enter trees - one hint.... you have to supply measurements and EXACTLY what you supply is exactly what you are allocated. So if your tree/stand is 40 cm wide, tell them 45 to give a bit of room. Don't overdue... space is limited and the number of trees is growing but still.. get a few centimetres extra.
Last edited by MelaQuin on December 31st, 2008, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Re: Sydney Royal Easter Show - Bonsai Classes

Post by aaron_tas »

i also urge anyone with trees to enter into this event, i have two certificates for first place for group planting and saikei.

it is a great event and the quality of trees are terrific :!:

:D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I can't see any mention of classes in your post. Unless you are revfering to getting help from the Sydney city Bonsai club?
:?
Last edited by Bretts on January 2nd, 2009, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI

Post by aaron_tas »

i thought that too when i read it first, but...

group planting is not in the same class as saikei...

any better :?:
inspired by nature,
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Not sure I may be past help :oops: I thought classes was being taught :?
edit: were :oops:
Last edited by Bretts on January 2nd, 2009, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI

Post by aaron_tas »

maybe so, i might be wrong... :?
inspired by nature,
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MelaQuin »

If you want to know the classes that are in the Royal Easter Show Bonsai section go to the website mentioned or phone for a show schedule. While some members of Sydney City Bonsai Club enter their trees in the judging competition, we are at the show purely to promote bonsai, bonsai clubs, bonsai nurseries, and this year bonsai websites that we know and love, and give advice to people who have a tree and don't know what to do with it or how to look after it. We are totally non-partisan and our ONLY purpose for coming every day for 14 days is to show the masses what real bonsai look like since the formal bonsai display/exhibition is only on for TWO of the 14 show days - and offer advice or information as needed. As show attendees come from almost every state and New Zealand, we offer bonsai and club information to them all, not just our club.

Last year we got a lot of interest by providing 'guided tours' of the bonsai exhibition, explaining points about the show trees, styles, styling, balance, etc. This involved no criticism of trees on exhibition but the interest from the viewers on 'what made a bonsai' was quite high and we provided a lot of information and created a lot of interest with this. People appreciate something far more when they know what they are looking at and they only know if they have some knowledge.
Last edited by MelaQuin on January 3rd, 2009, 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Sorry I mistook Bonsai Classes to mean there was some teaching going on.
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI

Post by aaron_tas »

MelaQuin wrote:providing 'guided tours' of the bonsai exhibition, explaining points about the show trees, styles, styling, balance, etc.
brilliant :!: well done to all involved :!:
inspired by nature,
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MelaQuin »

Sue does quite a few talks during the 14 days since she is a wonderfully entertaining speaker, chock full of interesting bits with a lot of humour and a great off the cuff presentation. However, since the Horticultural Hall is cool, relaxing and beautiful, an oasis in the middle of noisy controlled chaos, a lot of the seats at the talk are taken by 'foot resters' to whom bonsai is as much an interest as the price of onions in Siberia. So when the attention flags from wee trees she throws in all sorts of horticultural and tree facts and keeps the crowds happy. But while we don't give 'classes' at our stand, occasionally someone will bring a tree in and we give advice and work on that or show techniques on our own trees. AND, recommend a club near them so they can get help. And we always stress that any club would be pleased to help, they don't have to be a member to get advice. So if any stray walks in to some club in Woop Woop holding an ailing and ill styled tree and says they heard about you at the Royal... you can blame us.

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”