The Australian Journey - Bonsai history project

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any natives
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: CBS, VNBC

The Australian Journey - Bonsai history project

Post by JenniferM »

Hi everyone

It's not long now till the National Bonsai Convention in May. Most of you will know that the theme for this year's convention is 'The Australian Journey'.

As part of preparing for the Convention, a small team in CBS has been working on a project to bring together as much information as we can about events, individuals and organisations which have played a role in the Australian Journey in bonsai. A number of clubs and individuals have already contributed information to the project, and we'd like to thank them for this. :tu:

The information we have gathered to date, which includes formation of associations, clubs/societies and interest groups, publication of books, journals and media articles, establishment of bonsai nurseries and potteries, visits to Australia by international bonsai artists, participation as demonstrators, presenters and/or judges at international events by Australian bonsai artists, national seminars/conventions, club histories and profiles of individuals, will be presented as a poster display at the Convention, to complement presentations by Roger Hnatiuk.

A number of posts on this site have information we would like to include in this project, and I'll be contacting people by PM over the next few weeks to get their agreement to use that info.

Although we have a lot of information already, the display will not be a completed product at the time of the Convention and we hope that every person attending will be able to contribute at least one additional piece of information. Those not attending the Convention will be able to contribute to the online resource when it is launched later this year.

It is intended that this will be an enduring online resource, available to the bonsai community for many years to come. We know that there have been a number of attempts to create similar resources over the years, which have not always come to fruition. We're hoping to do better, and with your help we will.... :!: :!:

If you want more information on the project, or have something to contribute please email secretariat2013@cbs.org.au, add posts here or send a PM.

This is an exciting project and one that we hope will be of value to everyone in the community. :D

Cheers

Jennifer
JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: The Australian Journey - Bonsai history project

Post by JenniferM »

Hi everyone

Just want to let you know that there's an article on bonsai in the May edition of Gardening Australia which should hit the shelves on Monday.

Thor Beowulf has written the article, titled 'The living art of bonsai' for us to promoting bonsai in general with a side note re the 2013 National Bonsai Convention.

Not pushing the magazine - but we think the article is well worth a read....

Cheers

Jennifer
JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by JenniferM »

Hi everyone

I got a bit ahead of myself.... the May Gardening Australia only came out this week - not last as I said above. :palm: :shake:

Anyway, it's on the shelves now. :) Hope you enjoy the article.

Don't forget - you've only got one week to get your registration in if you plan to come to the Convention!

There are still observer places for Ryan's workshop on Monday and both participant and observer places available for Averil's and Andrew's workshops. And there are places on the second bus tour of the NBPCA on Friday and both tours on Monday.

Jennifer
JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by JenniferM »

Hi everyone

Now that the site is back... and the Convention is over ... I thought I'd update you on the progress on this project.

The 1.0 version of the resource was displayed on posters at the Convention last weekend. Thanks to everyone who showed interest at the Convention... :D good to know that there is real community interest in this, and thanks for all the feedback back. :D

If you have any more please post it, PM it or send it to secretariat2013@cbs.org.au.

I won't get around to updating the current version of the display for a few weeks (life intervenes :whistle:), but as soon as it's been updated I'll arrange for it to be posted initially on the CBS site, and let you know through here (around the last week in June).

Longer term, as I've mentioned here, and at the Convention, we plan to translate the current version into an online one - the initial release of which should (hopefully) be available in August/September. Again I'll let you know when it's available.

Cheers

Jennifer

PS it was great to meet so many people at the Convention!!! :wave:

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”