Lending bonsai to the NBPCA

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Lending bonsai to the NBPCA

Post by Steven »

G’day,

Over the last couple of years I have had 2 bonsai on display at the NBPCA. One is a small Prunus mume and the other a Casuarina cunninghamiana.

Leigh and I thought it might be good to post my experience of the process to inform anyone else who may be considering lending tree’s to our National Collection.

When NBPCA Curator, Leigh Taafe first contacted me about lending I had mixed emotions of feeling proud that my bonsai were deemed worthy and nervous about the thought of them being on public display for a year or 2. Would they get damaged, stolen or die? How would they cope with the change of climate? Would the NBPCA volunteers and staff care for them as much as I do?

I’m very pleased to report that the whole process has been very positive! When each of them were collected from me, there was an extensive questionnaire relating to the care, history and requirements of each tree. Leigh and/or Shannon always take detailed notes and ask plenty of questions regarding the specific requirements you want. Insurance is provided to a generous agreed value that makes the whole process feel better.

Shannon regularly sends me pictures when there are things to report on like recently when my Apricot was in bloom. I also get updates from friends and family who visit the Arboretum. I’ve visited a couple of times and was pleased to find them in very good health and being meticulously cared for by a very capable and dedicated team.

I can honestly say that the whole process is excellent and that the trees are kept in a very safe environment while being maintained in the best possible health.

Regards,
Steven
2016 July (2).JPG
2016 August (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Re: Lending bonsai to the NBPCA

Post by NBPCA »

Thanks Steven

We welcome submissions from anyone, it is not necessary to be involved in a club or organisation. Loans can vary from 1 to 3 years, depending on where you are located.
Submissions are presented to our Selection and Ambassadorial Committee for vote on suitability for the Collection. The Committee has a membership of 13 respected bonsai artists from around Australia.

Please feel free to ask any questions about lending that you may have, I will be happy to answer them.

If you would like to submit a tree to our loans program, all we need is 4 images of your tree with a plain background, one of each side. Add the dimensions and some details on age and how long it has been in training, pop it into an email to me at leigh.taafe@act.gov.au. Easy.

Cheers
Leigh.
Last edited by Steven on August 12th, 2016, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

I can also vouch for Leigh and his team . I believe I've had 6 trees there to date with 2 currently on display . They have always come back in better health from when they left . I cannot recommend high enough the care that the team there goes to . Leigh why we on the subject was a decision made on that mugo of mine :D
NBPCA
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

Hi Matt - I was just about to call you regarding our next steps with the mugo. Chat shortly.

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”