New Australian Bonsai Book

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
bonsaipotter
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 27
Bonsai Club: QBS

New Australian Bonsai Book

Post by bonsaipotter »

For a couple of years I've conducted a Bonsai Foundations program for members of my local club. This year I compiled all the information and more into a book of the same name and have just published it.
Front cover copy.jpg
Back Cover copy.jpg
This is the marketing blurb:

Bonsai Foundations explores both the aesthetic and horticultural knowledge which is essential to the successful cultivation and stylistic development of bonsai.
The Japanese bonsai aesthetic, which is widely followed but not well described in the west, is analysed and described in terms of goal oriented design principles.
Alternative models and approaches to a tree’s styling are discussed. Structural flaws are described along with causes and means for resolution.
Step by step guides are provided for a variety of development paths and techniques, like pruning, layering and grafting.
Detailed explanations are offered on how trees grow, the formulation and testing of successful potting media and demystifying fertilizers.
The aesthetic design principles form the basis for suggested objective judging criteria.
The book is suitable for all experience levels, bringing objectivity to every day management activities as well as offering new ways to look at aesthetics and styling outside the Japanese environment.

Softcover, 10 x 8 in format, 144 pages, with over 250 pictures and illustrations.
One page SHORT advert #5 121016 copy.jpg

You can view a preview here:
http://au.blurb.com/b/7388760-bonsai-foundations

More info on my blogsite:
http://bonsaipotterycoy.blogspot.com.au ... tions.html

And Facebook too:
https://www.facebook.com/bonsaifoundations/

Listed with Amazon worldwide.
RRP $39.50 with a Launch promo discount for direct sales. Contact me for information. Postage to anywhere in Australia is $6.50

Cheers,
Stephen Cullum
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: New Australian Bonsai Book

Post by Boics »

Thanks Stephen.

Looks great - I'll ensure the missus gets this onto my christmas gift list.
Kind regards,
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
elizabethcooper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by elizabethcooper »

This book is really great! Thank you for these links on it
For me, spending time in my bonsai club it is a real passion. Here I can communicate with interesting people and find new information about this culture
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

Yes, Stephen's book is a really good introduction. It is at the perfect level for someone like me who is new to bonsai but has a bit of knowledge (from this site and books). I am sure people with more experience could take something away from it too.
scaddid
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus melliodora
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by scaddid »

Thank you Steven for this great book
:imo: If you are a noob and live in woop woop and can't get to a club this book is a must have :clap:
If you can get to a club it is a book you should have.
And if you are an old hand it i still worth a read.
I received it for Xmas last year and am on the third complete read through.
Thank you again and I will post some pics of a couple my trees soon
Scaddid

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”