Bonsai at Sydney Contemporary 2017

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: CCBC, CBS, VNBC, BSST

Bonsai at Sydney Contemporary 2017

Post by hugh grant »

Last weekend was Held the Sydney Contemporary, An arts event showcasing work from contemporary Galleries representing numerous artists.
This year on the bill was Artist Sam Doctor with his work 'You must go on. I cant go on. Ill go on' (2017) as an installation/performative work exhibiting three Bonsai 'Elm' trees as apart of the exhibition. The trees were sourced from David Segal used as a collaborative With Sam Doctor installing the trees within his installation.
The work spoke of "humanity’s fragile relationship to the environment and the precarious teeter between the potential/aftermath of catastrophe. It explored the frailties of the human condition when exposed to nature through the altered environment drawing upon contexts such as the violated industrial landscapes and aftermaths such as Fukushima. The trees acted as quite an oxymoron to the concept and created a settled balance amongst the chaos of the installation. The trees were as such a metaphor to the human aggression upon the landscape as a more respectful insight into the relationship of humanity and nature.
Congratulations to David (Boutique Bonsai) for being represented at this National Event.

Here are a few snapshots of the trees, idiotically i didnt take any pictures of the rest of the installation which makes difficult to put the work into context, i do apologise.
IMG_1922.JPG.jpg
IMG_1921.JPG.jpg

Quoted text: https://sydneycontemporary.com.au/progr ... -doctor-3/
Trees: http://boutiquebonsai.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tree Makers Making Australian Bonsai
School - Nursery - Store

Upper Blue Mountains NSW
https://www.treemakers.net/

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/treemakersbonsai
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tree_makers/
E: Hughgrant@treemakers.net
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Bonsai at Sydney Contemporary 2017

Post by treeman »

hugh grant wrote:
The work spoke of "humanity’s fragile relationship to the environment and the precarious teeter between the potential/aftermath of catastrophe. It explored the frailties of the human condition when exposed to nature through the altered environment drawing upon contexts such as the violated industrial landscapes and aftermaths such as Fukushima. The trees acted as quite an oxymoron to the concept and created a settled balance amongst the chaos of the installation. The trees were as such a metaphor to the human aggression upon the landscape as a more respectful insight into the relationship of humanity and nature.
Tell me you're not serious Hugh!
Mike
davidhsyd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by davidhsyd »

Here's a couple of better photos. Alas these trees are not yet ramified as I would like them to be but it was a privilege to be involved and to get Australian bonsai exposure at the biggest art event in Australia with upward of 40k visitors
IMG_3059.JPG
IMG_3058.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davehsydney
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Na

Post by Davehsydney »

Just to clarify - by better I meant closer images of the trees, sorry about that Hugh :)
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Post by Leigh Taafe »

treeman wrote:
hugh grant wrote:

As Hugh states at the bottom of his post - it is quoted text.
Cheers,
Leigh.
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

treeman wrote:
hugh grant wrote:
One of my co-workers just asked me whether I was crying or laughing and I wasn't really sure... :lost:
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

treeman wrote:
hugh grant wrote:
You seem like a really funny guy Treeman.
I for one appreciate your straight up no BS approach to Bonsai and beyond.

Let's face it some really long bow's were drawn between both text and tree's here!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any

Post by treeman »

Leigh Taafe wrote:
treeman wrote:
hugh grant wrote:

As Hugh states at the bottom of his post - it is quoted text.
Oh sorry. Let me re-phrase.......

Hugh, tell me that whoever wrote this is not serious!
Mike
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Besides all of that - as it is a whole other debate entirely (and has probably been done before).

How awesome is it that Australian bonsai has had an opportunity to be exposed to a potential audience of about 40,000 people at this event?
Cheers,
Leigh.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

This goes for the art of description as well. Sorry, Hugh, the concept was not difficult to understand, but the explanation was.

Lisa

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”