The next generation. Please step forward.

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
lindsay farr
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 57

Re: The next generation. Please step forward.

Post by lindsay farr »

Thanks for the thoughts and the kind words.

I'm convinced that the best way to grow our community in both a population and quality is to bring more young people to it.

Kid's pick up new concepts far more readily than adults. They are often fearless and uninhibited.

The average adult who say's " I'm going to learn how to do this properly" is essentially stuffed before they begin. We see far too many examples of this within this very forum. Ordinary is fine and normal. It is only when ordinary poses as extraordinary that it is destructive to the community,

Any offering that does not land well for a 8 YO misses its mark. Kids rule the idiot box. Winners and Losers shows are most appealing to Children.

We are custodians of the slow art. We need Youth.
http://www.bonsaifarm.tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Philippe Tot
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 33
Bonsai Club: Director/Founder- The Lingnan Penjing Academy of Austalia

Post by Philippe Tot »

I must also agree with Lindsay on this topic. I have been reading the threads and will now also jump in to remark .
I'm convinced that the best way to grow our community in both a population and quality is to bring more young people to it.

Kid's pick up new concepts far more readily than adults. They are often fearless and uninhibited.

The average adult who say's " I'm going to learn how to do this properly" is essentially stuffed before they begin. We see far too many examples of this within this very forum. Ordinary is fine and normal. It is only when ordinary poses as extraordinary that it is destructive to the community,

This topic opens up a whole can of worms and touches not on any individual subject (like for instance, this case on Bonsai).

Rather, anything that runs in our physical concepts as human beings, other art forms or methods, structure etc.

You name it...

But this innate pattern is essentially a 'cancer' that exists, ignored and ever present in human all beings. Formal habits.

This cycle of in balance will cont to go just as it has, since mankind found ways to get money for a loaf of bread.

Unless it is understood, learnt from, and assessed with all its associated consequences .

It is not a measure of good health
To be well adjusted to a profoundly sick
Society,

Eduction is the 1st basis, in which the seed is aloud to develop its first taste of life. With its roots, To grow into purity, forever to shine and expand.

Uncorrupted

And there in lies the 1st problem,leading into complete separation of the mind, spirit, body as a whole. The result in movement, Stagnant

It is done so in a society is currently rotten. Full of greed, desire, indulgence, ambition, fear... The list can go on.

So how is this cleansing to be accomplished.?

A revolution of education and of the mind is to be done.

This problem has only been in the mind of men since desire has been attached to it.. Since the start of man.

If one, (and I add One fervently). is to indeed truly succeed in this , it is only possible through the mind of a young child.

Does this mean adults are except from this change , this path direction of fulfilment I speak of?

Indeed NO,

To Truly be Liberated,
You Must First Truly Die
To of All of Yesterday.

When indeed lost in life , we must go back to the beginning.

Good luck to all, in your chosen paths, Tread carefuly,

One Breath At a Time.

Warmest regards and joy to all.

Philippe Tot
Last edited by Philippe Tot on October 15th, 2011, 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Lingnan Penjing Academy of Australia
"赶快加入澳大利亚第一个中国传统文化和盆景学院吧
siddhar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine,Cedar,Maple, Elm
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by siddhar »

This topic opens up a whole can of worms and touches not on any individual subject (like for instance, this case on Bonsai).

Rather, anything that runs in our physical concepts as human beings, other art forms or methods, structure etc.

You name it...

But this innate pattern is essentially a 'cancer' that exists, ignored and ever present in human all beings. Formal habits.

This cycle of in balance will cont to go just as it has, since mankind found ways to get money for a loaf of bread.

Unless it is understood, learnt from, and assessed with all its associated consequences .

It is not a measure of good health
To be well adjusted to a profoundly sick
Society,

Eduction is the 1st basis, in which the seed is aloud to develop its first taste of life. With its roots, To grow into purity, forever to shine and expand.

Uncorrupted

And there in lies the 1st problem,leading into complete separation of the mind, spirit, body as a whole. The result in movement, Stagnant

It is done so in a society is currently rotten. Full of greed, desire, indulgence, ambition, fear... The list can go on.

So how is this cleansing to be accomplished.?

A revolution of education and of the mind is to be done.

This problem has only been in the mind of men since desire has been attached to it.. Since the start of man.

If one, (and I add One fervently). is to indeed truly succeed in this , it is only possible through the mind of a young child.

Does this mean adults are except from this change , this path direction of fulfilment I speak of?

Indeed NO,

To Truly be Liberated,
You Must First Truly Die
To of All of Yesterday.

When indeed lost in life , we must go back to the beginning.

Good luck to all, in your chosen paths, Tread carefuly,

One Breath At a Time.

Warmest regards and joy to all.

Philippe Tot
Very well written Philippe. Your words echo the wisdom of a learned man.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be like water, my friend.”

Regards, Sidd.
lindsay farr
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lindsay farr »

profundity abounds. Thank you Phillippe.

to make the simple complicated is commonplace,
to make the complicated simple is awesomely creative
C Mingus

Who can keep a bonsai in good condition would be a great kid's winners and losers game.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

lindsay farr wrote:profundity abounds. Thank you Phillippe.

to make the simple complicated is commonplace,
to make the complicated simple is awesomely creative
C Mingus

Who can keep a bonsai in good condition would be a great kid's winners and losers game.
We do have to keep Bonsai moving forward! yes when you have the opportunity to get second generation trees would you take this?.

If you do then you should use this to put forward Ideas to further Bonsai in Australia, we need the oldies, but we need the younger ones too. They are the future, I am always willing to help.
I do draw the line though when those seeking help, refuse to help themselves, by taking the time to research and read.
This I believe is what Lindsay is asking.
Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
lindsay farr
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lindsay farr »

This is true Pup. A lack of initiative is far too common for a creative realm.

Nitzche said " a society is in decline when it holds in higher esteem those young people who think the same over those who think differently"

Clearly, we need young people who think differently and challenge.

Organized bonsai is a safe haven for those who cannot think for themselves. Organized bonsai cannot be a player in this idea. We need outstanding individuals.

The next generation. Step forward.
bfff
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by bfff »

Apologies for bumping an old thread.

As with maths, painting or football you need to teach a lot of average participants to discover those with outstanding potential or ability. As I see it, there needs to be a shift of public perception if bonsai is to become more popular. I think the image that needs to be projected is that bonsai is fun and hands-on, something that anybody could try. The more people that give it a go the more likely you are to find exceptional people.

My initial thinking is that "Bonsai Workshops" need to change. Too much talking and rules, not enough chopping and hacking. Something has to be changed or added to draw younger people in. To draw an art analogy, allow them to scribble before they learn to draw. Have a free workshop during school holidays. People from the local club could donate their unwanted stock. Then let the kids go mad on it. Limit rules and instructions, allow them to play around a bit. There is too much stick and not enough carrot to encourage young people into bonsai.
lindsay farr
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lindsay farr »

Bff said

Apologies for bumping an old thread.

As with maths, painting or football you need to teach a lot of average participants to discover those with outstanding potential or ability. As I see it, there needs to be a shift of public perception if bonsai is to become more popular. I think the image that needs to be projected is that bonsai is fun and hands-on, something that anybody could try. The more people that give it a go the more likely you are to find exceptional people.

My initial thinking is that "Bonsai Workshops" need to change. Too much talking and rules, not enough chopping and hacking. Something has to be changed or added to draw younger people in. To draw an art analogy, allow them to scribble before they learn to draw. Have a free workshop during school holidays. People from the local club could donate their unwanted stock. Then let the kids go mad on it. Limit rules and instructions, allow them to play around a bit. There is too much stick and not enough carrot to encourage young people into bonsai.

That makes sense to me.......
waltersh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deshojo
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by waltersh »

I'd love to do something like that!! Alas, I am too much of a beginner to even begin to instruct people! But hey, if anyone else decides to do it, and needs an audio engineer, let me know haha, THAT I can do! :tu:
~Hannah
Sahara
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Sahara »

yeh id love to take part in something likea workshop still a newb at bonsai even tho i own a few lol
A life is a life, no matter how small or tall, whether its human or the sea or a tiny little bee to our adoring bonsai trees. that how life is you see :)
billa
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Libani
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Nut (online)

Post by billa »

Donations of material, free work shops & public deminstrations etc is a great place to start!!

Il help organize...
Last edited by billa on June 19th, 2012, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only way to ensure the triumph of evil...is for good men to do nothing.
jumping_jack
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by jumping_jack »

Exploring the forum & came across this old thread, I thought it might be an idea to revisit 6yrs on. First off, an intro of sorts, I fall into that large chunk of bonsai growers around the world who is not a member of a club nor actively involved in the many wonderful events held thru out the year by the various organisations, clubs, groups & other interested parties. No reason beyond not being a people person, I started growing potted trees as a child & 30yrs on it has helped me overcome the many trials of life as well as giving many of it's own to keep me on my toes & learning.

I see many of the next generation already stepping up to the plate, Hugh Grant one of many come to mind, a few old guard also doing more to encourage, such as Pat Kennedy with this potters exhibit. Sadly I also see the knuckle slaps when someone questions the 'powers that be' eg the NBPCA's response to a post asking for more information about bonsai week. And the chains rattled (Pres. BFA) when someone outside the fold puts there name to anything bonsai, eg the recent questions over an introductory course at an educational institute.

While the next generation need exceptional material if they are to hone their skills it does need to be tempered with the knowledge of this great art's history and the impact our need for exceptional material places on the natural world. We need a generation of diggers, YES, those who are willing to risk life & limb, their own & that of the trees they work! But we also need a generation who plant trees knowing they will not see them in a finished state, creating exceptional material for the next next generation, then they would not have to dig wild trees but can peruse growing fields like seen in many other parts of the world, not just Japan.

IMO the greatest need for the next generation is a fertile space for them within the community, space to explore those ideas, make mistakes and grow from them as all artists & particularly bonsai growers do, turning your back or chinese whispers behind theirs does not benefit the community as a whole, only the few with vested interests.

My :2c:
JJ

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”