The next generation. Please step forward.

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
nguzowski
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5

Re: The next generation. Please step forward.

Post by nguzowski »

In terms of the teaching aspect, I believe that Japanese teaching has had a profound effect on the American and European bonsai scene when we look at the progress achieved by graduates such as Ryan Neill, Michael Hagedorn, Mario Komsta, the list goes on. But teaching involves several aspects, the main ones in my opinion being technical, and styling.

In terms of technical skills, I do not regard the lack of access to Japanese teaching to be a limiting factor. Most recognized European and American artists had no more formal training than you or I. Many of the technical skills are able to be acquired through the texts, internet and by trial and error. This is especially relevant when speaking of working with Australian native species because they have their own growth habits and ways of reacting to shaping techniques.

In terms of styling, the question must be asked, do we want to have our Australian style imitating the Japanese? When we look at regional styles around the world, we see that many artists have adopted their own styles to mimic the inspiration found in their natural surroundings. If we look to the Indonesians such as Robert Steven, who constantly teaches to look to nature for guidelines on styling. Look at Dan Robinson, whose albeit controversial styling mimics the gnarled pines and junipers found in the American landscape. Lo Min Tsuan of Taiwan falls into this naturalistic category aswell, with his trees much more natural, than the typical Japanese styling. Walter Pall of Germany is another example. Andrija and Marija of Croatia. These are all examples of regional styles that have been created, and have broken away from the Naka dominated styling technique we know to be associated as the dominant Japanese inspired teaching style here in the West. But even Naka’s teaching was “try not to make your little tree look like a bonsai, try to make your bonsai look like a little tree.” We too have great examples of Australian natives styled in an Australian style. But I believe there should be more focus in straying away from the dominant Japanese teaching.
addosh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by addosh »

I would love to help in any way possible! Even if it's small stuff behind the scenes

I'm a freelance graphic designer so if that helps at all.
Also, I'm adept with all the social media side of things, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc
Bonsai [noob] enthusiast
lindsay farr
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 57

Post by lindsay farr »

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Having traveled extensively in Japan and China, I have visited many wonderful bonsai collections. I've also gone west and visited Pup (contributor to this thread). I consider Pup and other Australian artists to be of the highest order. I'd hate to see cultural cringe deny that.

Australian bonsai is different. Collecting material from marshy swamps as the West Australians do is sustainable whereas collection of ancient alpine conifers is not. The Japanese and Chinese know this. Other countries are learning it.

Entertainment rules over teaching. Good teachers are hard to find. Good students are rare. An entertaining format would bring more people to bonsai.
More people doing bonsai will enhance and enrich the community.

When we grow the community it must be in a sustainable form.

Any thoughts?
http://www.bonsaifarm.tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: None

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Hi Lindsay,

Proposing bonsai as an elective anything for high school and secondary school students? After all, they do make up etc at schools.

Best regards.
lindsay farr wrote:Thanks for all the thoughts.

Having traveled extensively in Japan and China, I have visited many wonderful bonsai collections. I've also gone west and visited Pup (contributor to this thread). I consider Pup and other Australian artists to be of the highest order. I'd hate to see cultural cringe deny that.

Australian bonsai is different. Collecting material from marshy swamps as the West Australians do is sustainable whereas collection of ancient alpine conifers is not. The Japanese and Chinese know this. Other countries are learning it.

Entertainment rules over teaching. Good teachers are hard to find. Good students are rare. An entertaining format would bring more people to bonsai.
More people doing bonsai will enhance and enrich the community.

When we grow the community it must be in a sustainable form.

Any thoughts?
deepeetee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aust. Natives
Bonsai Club: Central Coast, NSW

Post by deepeetee »

HI all,

Just as an out of the box idea, maybe something that could be used in conjunction with other medium.

Maybe a smart phone application that grows a bonsai and teaches how to maintain/style etc.

Obviously the process would need to be sped up, i doubt anyone would use an application that had a "growing in the ground phase", that would pause the "game" for a couple of years.

Just thinking out loud, maybe an application like this might generate some artificial interest, that could inspire and bring and some new persons to bonsai.

Just a thought.

Dave
deepeetee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aust. Natives
Bonsai Club: Central Coast, NSW

Post by deepeetee »

Oh and further to that. I know there are some applications already in place, but these applications in my opinion are poor.

Something with a little more depth, could work well.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

How about a bonsai website where we could all hang out, share ideas and pictures? There could be a forum, galleries, wiki, chat room etc.
Who knows. . . it might even work.

Regards,
Steven :whistle:
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
mickaus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by mickaus »

Steven wrote:How about a bonsai website where we could all hang out, share ideas and pictures? There could be a forum, galleries, wiki, chat room etc.

Regards,
Gave me a nice laugh... in the middle of work to, people are looking at me strangely

While we are talking about phones and the forums, have you considered making it "taptalk" compatible? (http://www.tapatalk.com/)

I don't know what is involved but it is supposedly free and supports phpBB out of the box.
Ash Barns
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers,Pines.Tridents etc
Bonsai Age: 21

Post by Ash Barns »

Steven wrote:How about a bonsai website where we could all hang out, share ideas and pictures? There could be a forum, galleries, wiki, chat room etc.

Regards,
Now that is a novel idea Stephen. Who knows it may catch on. :whistle:
http://bonsaivaultforum.freeforums.org/portal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Ash Barns wrote:

Regards,
Now that is a novel idea Stephen. Who knows it may catch on. :whistle:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

An enormous step forward for Australian Bonsai IMO!
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

I agree Steven, but make it exclusively Australian Native material :whistle: :whistle: :P

While I am here giving out advise, I would like to thank Lindsay for his wonderful comments pertaining to me and other Australian Artists.

We have many here just with ordinary names not oriental sounding. We also have a passion for Bonsai.Just because I advocate using Australian Natives does not mean I have no other trees I do.
As there are over 1000-00 in two species like Gum and Melaleucas.
It is fanciful to say expert in the field of native, but I do have experience in growing them for future reference when we have the BBC segment on growing Native material as Bonsai.

Just my ramble and again thank you Lindsay.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

OK. I'll bite:

When I'm standing around in my red coat at the NBPCA during Floriade, the three things people are really glad to find out are:

- It's not rocket science. Anyone who can prune a tree, repot a pot plant, and keep it alive is off to a good start.

- XYZ club has it's show on in Jantober at the RSL/College/Shed, go along and see what people like us can do. Bonsai people are usually friendly and helpful.

- Ausbonsai has beginners, experts, and good advice.

The public don't, in general, want to know about rules, schools, and what antibiotics you take for an attack of tachiagara. Videos for people who want to learn things are very useful, but we need to get them interested first. Inspiring trees presented in a friendly, informative environment are a good start. Your local club show is where things often begin. Why don't people know the shows are on?

And while I'm ranting, why aren't some of our best growers going into horticultural colleges with 10 of the best trees they can find, to inspire students, and explain in detail just how those trees were grown? Not just another "bonsai in 20 minutes" demonstration, but something with a bit of meat.

And if this is indeed an Art, why aren't our best growers presenting their best work to students in Art Colleges? Why don't you think we belong there?

Signing off from Planet G.
lindsay farr
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 57

Post by lindsay farr »

Some fine ideas there. I still think TV is the most far reaching platform. The Ying, Yang and You TV series that I did for the SPORTSWORLD network in the nineties didn't screen here. It did screen in Eastern Europe and the middle east ( emerging markets). A number of young children who watched that series are now bonsai leaders in their home countries. Even The Way of Bonsai series which we made for Foxtel in 2000 continues to astonish me at how many people (many in this community) achieved their beginnings from it.

The subject matter is secondary to the passion and integrity of the presenters.

We remain a small group. We need sustainable growth then better artists will emerge.

Willing presenters might start practicing presenting in front of their video cam's and observe their efforts critically.

I'd be more than happy to mentor serious contenders.
http://www.bonsaifarm.tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by 63pmp »

Lindsay,'
'
You have thrown up an interesting idea, and a conundrum. How do you project a poorly supported art form out into a mostly inattentive and uninterested population, in a way that garners their interest?

I meet lots of people who have heard of bonsai, and think there nice but are not interested in doing it, I've also met those that had started and then gave it away after a few years, with no interest in getting back into it. The reasons they left it behind we varied, but moving home was one, and another was the time needed to care for them.

Is it possible that those people that are interested in bonsai are actually doing it? Only so many people in a population will be interested or prepared to put the time into bonsai. Even fewer prepared to put the money into the number of trees required to practice and hone skills on, or to travel to and learn skills. I wonder how many people are actually doing bonsai in this country, and how many potential bonsai-ist there are that could take it up.

Interesting conversation you've created here,

Paul
"The older I get, the less I know"
billa
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Libani
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Nut (online)

Post by billa »

Mr Lindsay Farr,

As long as you still have pruning sheers in your hand...I believe only you could do such a thing. Take the reins while your still King!!!

I have purchased every single on of LINDSAY FARR'S Dvds and watched them all a million times and will watch them a million more times. If you know bonsai, then you must know Lindsay Farr....nobody is up for the job besides Lindays :yes:
The only way to ensure the triumph of evil...is for good men to do nothing.

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”