Semi-permanent bonsai bench

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Semi-permanent bonsai bench

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Hi all, I was out the back doing a pre-winter clean of one of my bonsai benches, and though some of you may be interested in my setup. I had it running for more than a year now a works fork me.

There are a few things that prevent a permanent or fixed bonsai bench being installed: 1. our property is rented 2. The courtyard is small and paved. I used to utilise the cinder block and sleeper method, but have since found this solution much more practical especially for a small area, stable at a good viewing height, and it can be pulled apart in about 15 mins if required. I added a water retrieval tray to not only collect water runoff, but also the ferts/tonics that would other wise go to waste :tu:

Components include: black heavy duty storage rack shelving system http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/st ... y-shelving; sleepers; 2x4 timber lengths (cross supports holding the timber above the shelving racks); custom made metal water collection/retrieval tray complete with large metal BBQ squewer in hole to draw and guide water into the bucket below.

The shelving racks are powder coated and have been erected outside for more than 18 months with no evidence of rust so far ;) , just spider webs :palm:

Hope this helps or inspires other creative solutions :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
lakepipes
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Semi-permanent bonsai bench

Post by lakepipes »

The only thing i would be weary of Ryan, is poisons leaching out of the sleepers and washing down into your bucket which you then re-issue to the trees.

Something to think about,
Mike
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Thanks Mike, these sleepers had been used on previous bench setups for approx 2-3-4 years prior, I presume the excess had already leached out :fc: but good point, and a consideration for anyone setting up from scratch, as chemical free sleepers are available for building veggie patches too, if that is a concern. I use most of the collected water on other potted plants (some as their only water source) with no ill effects.

The water tray was fabricated out of galvanised sheet metal. It has been suggested that elevated zinc levels may be present in the collected runoff water, however again the plants that use this water show no ill effects. But just in case I don't use it on the veggies and herbs.
Cheers, Ryan
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Mate that looks awesome. Well thought out. Got a mate that does sheet metal work so might have to look into a water tray.
I have looked at those racks a few times and wondered what they were like.
Thanks for posting.
Josh
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Very neat setup with some well thought out modifications to collect and reuse water and nutrients - remember, wasted nutrients are not just wasted. When extra nutrients escape into the environment they are pollutants and cause all sorts of problems in our soils and waterways. Any features which capture nutrients are great.

I am surprised that the sleepers have stayed flat. Many of them curl and warp as they dry out which will be something for others to watch out for. These ones have been used before so that gives the opportunity to select the ones that are tending to stay straight.
The only thing i would be weary of Ryan, is poisons leaching out of the sleepers and washing down into your bucket which you then re-issue to the trees.
I don't believe there is anything in treated pine that will harm trees. They are treated with stuff to deter fungi and insects so, if anything, could be good for your plants but leached concentrations would be so low as to not be effective.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cementworks
Favorite Species: elm
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by cementworks »

Great work!

Bunnings now stock Galvinised ends and rails!
I use the 2100 high ends to display my trees with a couple of rails at the top so I can throw over shade clothe during summer.....
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Thanks for the positive comments ;)

Josh, if you get them fabricated with higher sides, they can be plugged, filled with gravel, and used in summer as humidifying trays especially for minis. Pup's setup were a point of inspiration. Make sure you go in with presise measurements, including wall height, and make sure you get them to put the hole in too ... I totally destroyed my 14mm boring drill bit getting through the gal!

Shibui, some more good points :tu: I had forgotten, but having originally chosen the straightest sleepers possible, after drying properly the sleepers were actually more twisted on the previous setup. They have now straightened out more as a result of having a couple of poly grow boxes and larger pots providing both weight and moisture. I really only used the sleepers because I already had them (cost effective :whistle: ) certainly over engineered, but the benches don't move, with more cross supports you could use decking wood such as merbu as an alternative. :lost: or even the mesh shelving that goes with the system, but I do like residual moisture the sleepers provide under the pots in the summer...

cw, I had thought of that, but at the time the budget didn't stretch to 2100s, good to know the shade system works for you though :tu:
Cheers, Ryan
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Good Effort C8B!

Really good idea - had something similar in mind but nowhere near as easy! Thought of using wood to make a wooden bench then have a shelf below it to hold a liner of some kind. Since there aren't many liners available I was going down the 'Pond-liner' path instead of the steel tray you have. My idea was similar to your - recycle the water and fertilisers by use of a pond pump to circulate the water over the trees as needed. Thinking automation would save my trees (and me some time) … Lazy?!?!

Looks like your way is much more cost effective, tho. Love the sharing of ideas, great forum!

Happy Easter.
Cheers
Elmar
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Thanks Elmar, I've found the simpler the better, less stress about modifying benches, more focus on modifying trees!

I would hesitate with an automated circulating system unless the supply tank was quite large and had a mains top up with a balist as there would be some loss, also you'd need decent filtration and pressure if using micro sprayers etc.... Just my thoughts.

Best way to guarantee plants get watered is to do it yourself ;)
Last edited by cre8ivbonsai on April 23rd, 2014, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Ryan
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

I hear you.
I have nearly (I say nearly!) abandoned the automated system. Tests were encouraging but you miss out on Getting to know your trees!
Can't work on them if you don't know them...

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Alan Peck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Newcastle

Post by Alan Peck »

Good work space if you have the room but I say KISS when you can. Keep it stupid simple.
This took me all of 10 mins to assemble and is the perfect work height for wireing and trimming with no mess. You could make it wider for tools and workspace so long as you work in the centre. I might add another board but find it plenty big enough at the mo with or without my turntable .
:tu2:
P1010714.JPG
P1010715.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Great idea Alan
Looks like you have some really nice trees there too. We'll done!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

Alan Peck wrote:Good work space if you have the room but I say KISS when you can. Keep it stupid simple.
This took me all of 10 mins to assemble and is the perfect work height for wireing and trimming with no mess. You could make it wider for tools and workspace so long as you work in the centre. I might add another board but find it plenty big enough at the mo with or without my turntable .
You, sir, are a genius. I've been looking for a slightly taller workspace for a while now, and this will make cleanup a snap too. Awesome. :clap:
Cheers, Karl
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Alan Peck wrote:Good work space if you have the room but I say KISS when you can. Keep it stupid simple.
P1010714.JPG
P1010715.JPG
Nice work Alan, Matt posted the premium model here a while back ;) viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8635&start=15&hilit=wheelie+bin Unfortunately the only way I could get my green bin to the bonsai area is through the house :shake:

The benches I showed are for display/growing purposes, I now have a smaller (length) version of the same product (no sleepers or water tray), which I find is great working height, it has mesh shelving top – for a work bench, and middle and bottom for pot storage below. (also doubles as the portable-BBQ stand :shock: )
Last edited by cre8ivbonsai on April 24th, 2014, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Ryan
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

cre8ivbonsai wrote:
Nice work Alan, Matt posted the premium model here a while back ;) viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8635&start=15&hilit=wheelie+bin Unfortunately the only way I could get my green bin to the bonsai area is through the house :shake:

The benches I showed are for display/growing purposes, I now have a smaller (length) version of the same product (no sleepers or water tray), which I find is great working height, it has mesh shelving top – for a work bench, and middle and bottom for pot storage below. (also doubles as the portable-BBQ stand :shock: )
I love both of these ideas! But I'm clumsy so I'd probably have a small bevel at the top going all around to stop slippage and then a "Subway" style hole at the back to push all the muck into the bin!
Cheers
Elmar

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”