Quick, simple bonsai bench

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

Quick, simple bonsai bench

Post by kez »

Hey folks,

I've been meaning to knock up a proper stand for a while now, as up until now I have been using stray planks of wood held up by either besser blocks or milk crates. These did the job, but hardly looked the part, and surprisingly (or not) were not the most effective use of the space.

Today I decided I would finally pull my finger out so I made a trip to the hardware store in my lunch break (I work a 4 hour shift in the morning and a 4 hour shift in the evening so usually have the middle of the day off). I was kinda flying by the seat of my pants and not quite sure what I would find, and ended up settling on 10 3.6m lengths of framing. I got them to cut them all in half, and got them to cut a couple of bits down further leaving me with 4x900m, 2x600m and 2x300m for the sides, and enough to spare for a little bracing.

I did a rough sketch to get my measurements (on a used envelope lol) and got to work with what I had around the house.......... some decking screws, a drill and a hand saw!

Here's the sides I knocked up (using the 900's, 600's and 300's plus what I cut after my envelope calculations)
IMG_2313 (1024x683).jpg
And all together with the 1800m lengths as the bench tops
IMG_2314 (1024x683).jpg
from the front
IMG_2316 (1024x665).jpg
and where it will sit in the garden
IMG_2318 (1024x683).jpg
Next step will be a once over with the orbital and then a few coats of decking oil and it will be ready to house some trees

Hope you all enjoy

Kerrin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kez on August 14th, 2014, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bek
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Northern Bonsai Club, Adelaide, Bonsai Society of SA, Vic Native Club

Re: Quick, simple bonsai stand

Post by Bek »

Looks great! Wish I could just 'knock' something like that up on a whim! That would be like, a major project for me, haha!
loyskirineba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Love all of them

Re: Quick, simple bonsai stand

Post by loyskirineba »

Thanks for sharing :cool:

I've always wanted to make my bonsai stand :)
“Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.”
― Aristotle
Stewart_Toowoomba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle, banksia, figs
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Toowoomba Bonsai Group Inc.

Re: Quick, simple bonsai bench

Post by Stewart_Toowoomba »

Great design and simple too! :tu:

Do you think it needs some lateral supports to stop an side movement? Even some metal strapping like they do for rooves to stop warping

It may need to have a centre leg or brace to cope with heavier trees placed in the mid section.

All in all, very inspiring. Will love to see it all done, stained and in use. Front on photos too please to see if there is any bowing from the weight.... I suppose you could use hardwood as horizontals too to cope with heavier trees??

The dove of peace flies to palace as to humble house, to young as to old, to rich and poor. So does the spirit of bonsai. (John Naka)

Check out our club's website at http://www.toowoombabonsai.com
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Thanks for the replies folks,

Stewart,

Yep next step today is to put some middle legs in for that exact reason. I have some fairly large trees so some support in there is a must. As far as lateral support, I think it should be sweet, the top planks of wood keep it fairy stable due to the way it is staggered, and on the ends I have a brace running from the middle legs to the back legs so front to back is pretty solid as well. I'll post more pics today with the internal legs in place

Kerrin
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Hey folks,

I got the building work for this finished on Friday and spent the weekend getting some cabbots decking oil onto it. I finally got it out of the garage today as it has only just dried thanks to this rain we've had (last coat was put on early Sunday morning)

Anyway it's all done now and is doing it's job

Here's some pics, sorry they aren't the best. I can't get a good front on shot with the cordylines in the way (they may have to go mwuhahahaha)

Here's my best front shot for reference re. weight bearing
IMG_2331 (1024x683).jpg
I recon the shimpaku weighs around 30kg, and the squamata on the left would be close to 20kg

Here's a shot from the right that shows the whole bench and the trees
IMG_2329 (1024x683).jpg
And from the left
IMG_2332 (1024x683).jpg
I am surprised at how much space the trees fill, I may need to make a second one at some point soon.

All in all I'm very happy, my original plan had the shelves 3 planks wide but it would have been too deep for the space, and it has meant that I am limited with regards to where I need to put some trees but you gotta do the best with what you got

Hope you all enjoy

Kerrin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GreenThumb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Figs, Elms
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by GreenThumb »

Very tidy work, love your trees too.
jeremy_norbury
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Larch
Bonsai Age: 43
Bonsai Club: North Holland Bonsai society

Post by jeremy_norbury »

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

I notice the handrails aren't finished on the stairs but you have got the bonsai stand made. Great to see you have your priorities straight :tu:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Bougy Fan wrote:I notice the handrails aren't finished on the stairs but you have got the bonsai stand made. Great to see you have your priorities straight :tu:
:lol: He wouldn't be alone thats for sure
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Did you say pine framing? Do you mean treated pine, or just plain old house framing? If it is not treated pine it will be susceptible to Termites and even with decking oil will rot fairly quickly, especially where your pots are sitting and at the ends and most definitely where it sits on the ground. It would be a shame to see your hard work fall to pieces.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”