Help!! My buddy who is awesome gave me a pot but its cracked

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Help!! My buddy who is awesome gave me a pot but its cracked

Post by SpongeMann »

Gold!! I have the germination process down .Trial and Error
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

Hi spongeman, porcelain is crockery made out of clay and baked and glazed.Some Chinese and Japanese painted porcelain, is prized and valuable. Has yours got a made in ? maybe it was removed when the drainage hole was drilled in it. I have some antique bone china from Japan, or fine china if you put it up to a light, you can see your fingers shadowed on it. That is made out of a different clay than porcelain. My little ceramic pot, cracked and broke because it wasn't vitrified, what ever that means. :aussie:

I have an old almost antique American ice cream maker, wooden, I intend to use as a pot. but I'm mad anyway. I picked up from the local tip second hand recycling store for $1.00 :wave:
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SpongeMann »

Hi Bush bunny you are right. It was removed when the hole was made. My buddy says it was like that when he bought it. Since the cut is was soo poorly done the cracks grew from edges of the cut.I cant see my hand shadowed on this pot. That is cool to know though! Thank you for the pointer :) lol I am going to google the definition of vetrified lol . I would've bought the Ice cream maker too! My pot had a cactus in it . That I gave to my buddy and his wife . He says that he just wants to see the pot with a tree in it. Truthfully I dont have nice pots all my trees are in training. I think as the trees progress I'll start buying pots. Im new to the wonderful world of bonsai . Hence the the name because I'm just a SpongMann...Take care Bush bunny :)
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi Spongmann,
I would line the pot with fiberglass. Using some fairly coarse sand paper, gently go over the entire inside. This will create some fine abrasion that the fiberglass will key to. I would not go over the top of the pot edge so the fiberglass can't be seen.

Regards Ray
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SpongeMann »

Hi Ray M. I had a conversation about with my buddy that gave me the pot and he told me to use fiberglass too. Lol . I told him about J.B weld and we both think it'll hold best with J.B. I wanted to wait till i could go to Orlando Florida to fix it. But my buddy says not to worry about devaluing the pot. He helped me fix. I'll take some pics Ray. Thanks for the comment bud.
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SpongeMann »

So J.B Weld it is... mixed on a box of a apple pie from McDonalds. How about the nutritional facts? Lol
'Image Image
I tried to get as much in the crack as possible.
I used copper I hope it helps.Image
I will fill in the exterior cracks with solder. I think this will work.
I have to buy it first. Till next time.:)
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SpongeMann »

I also have to sand and coat the epoxy with something white and non toxic. Any suggestions?
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice work Spongeman

I a have a few factory second pots that i might try this on too.
I suggest maybe acrylic paint. they are non toxic these days

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

I suppose sponge, you could try making your own too. Not pottery unless you have a potters club nearby, who have all the gear, furnace etc., but concrete. One can get some really interesting shapes too, the rustic look. Neli in Africa has made some super ones. I found lurking in a cupboard a brass plant pot. It's rather nice. I am thinking about heat conduction though if kept outside, so whatever I plant in it, will have to cope with that. Even if kept in the shade. My personal view and this is definitely not purist of course. Is unless you wish to exhibit bonsai, then it is your creativeness that adds to your hobby's interest and I personally, not big noting myself, have lots of that. That's why I like penjing and living landscapes with figurines.

LOL, No definitely don't use bone china, it's so thin and valuable. I nearly went mad, when one of my sons, bless his cotton socks, used an antique Japanese tea cup, as an ASHTRAY.
The ones they use in their ancient tea drinking rituals. :o A Family heirloom from dear Great Uncle Dick who was kicked out of Shanghai when the Japanese invaded before the last war.
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SpongeMann »

Thank you Kc it holds very well. It sounds good when i tap it now. Do you think solder woulg grab in the exterior cracks ? It is pretty rough in there. I'm gonna go with the acrylic. I was thinking about using white cement but the paint sounds good. Thanks Ken
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SpongeMann »

Wow I can imagine how you felt when you seen your son Bush Bunny. I could say i was blind a few years ago I admired things like nature , and pottery etc. I've had moments like that that I wasnt giving my moms precious belongings. I am finally 32 . But Bonsai and plants. Opened my eyes . Now I drve down the road and I immediately know the speciec and I look at its shape and admire. I plan on making some pots I just seen Neli's pots which are great. There is a man on YouTube named Detlef Römish he has great videos. Which he involves his family in. There funny. Even though he speaks German, and very little English. But he makes good bonsai and cool pots too. I really like Penjing . I have a ornamental fire pit that I want to make my next Tropical Penjing in. Its about three feet around. I am going to start looking for old coral at the beaches its everywhere outhere. ..Have a nice one Bush bunny

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”