Japanese Pots

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
subie23
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple, JBP
Bonsai Age: 1

Japanese Pots

Post by subie23 »

Hi all,
I'm in Sydney and looking for Japanese made pots. I brought couples at Ray Nesci in the last 6 months and the available choice is limited. I would like to know which other nursery do sell them? Any information would be greatful.

Thank you
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Japanese Pots

Post by Rory »

What is it that you specifically like about Japanese pots. Is it just for the sake that they are made in Japan. There are so many australian potters that make beautiful hand made bonsai pots, that I feel are far better than foreign pots. Each to their own, but if you are that keen on having to have something made in Japan, then import them from Japan directly. Google would be your first step.

Google ... 'japanese pots made in japan' or you can join a bonsai club, there are a few options, and ask around if people pool importing together.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Jb1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, maple, elm
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by Jb1 »

Hi Subie,
I bought bonsai pots IN Japan last year, including hand made originals. They were signed and stamped. Bad news, they were all made in China. Furthermore, the word was that all the clay in Tokoname has been used. Good luck in your quest, they are out there just harder to find.
Regards
John
gerald randall
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, Ficus
Bonsai Club: Cape

Post by gerald randall »

We all have our preferences. I was always a bit of a snob when it came to pots. Only used Japanese pots. Over the years, the Japanese pots became tough to get hold of (and expensive) and the Chinese pots have improved massively in quality. Not all the Chinese pots, but there are distributors in China which manufacture pots which are as good as the Japanese pots. In fact, they make pots exclusively for the Japanese Bonsai market. Hence,when you go to Japan to buy Japanese pots, you may well come home with Chinese pots. The reality is that Japan has limited natural resources and as such many potters have actually gone out of business. The potters which are surviving are 'brand names'. At some stage they will struggle to get hold of clay and may well be out of business. For pot collectors, important to collect now as the pots will become very rare and expensive. In my opinion.

I have bought a couple of pots from China which are first class.

I also tend to agree with the comments around using local pots. If the quality is great, buy local. My wife came home this evening with four pots which are from local manufacture. Although I have many imported pots which are better, these are great quality and well priced. It also keeps the local industry viable, which is important.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

So Gerald,
What makes a good quality pot?

Describe, to a newbie, what makes a pot great, average quality?

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

So Gerald,
What makes a good quality pot?

Describe, to a newbie, what makes a pot great, average quality?

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia

Post by Rory »

gerald randall wrote:The reality is that Japan has limited natural resources and as such many potters have actually gone out of business. The potters which are surviving are 'brand names'. At some stage they will struggle to get hold of clay and may well be out of business. For pot collectors, important to collect now as the pots will become very rare and expensive. In my opinion.
If you are investing in pots, in my opinion I would suggest either taking a different strategy, or don't do it. If you want to invest for a financial return, don't do it with bonsai related material...stick to the stock market or gold. As far as pots go for newbies, buy what you like. Hand made pots are always going to be better than mass produced junk. You can easily see something you like in any australian potters selection, because having a one-off unique hand made pot, is the best answer to your hand made one off uniquely styled bonsai, wouldn't you agree ;)

Your bonsai and your pot is probably never going to be worth a whole heap of money, so appreciate it for the sentimental value it gives you, not what it will sell for, otherwise you are probably going to be disappointed.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”