New look grow beds and benches

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
Brad75
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple Juniper
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: New look grow beds and benches

Post by Brad75 »

Hi Alpineart,

That is an inspirational setup! Giving me ideas. :cool:

Cheers,

Brad75.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26

Post by alpineart »

Hi SpongeMann, it looks a treat as the trainers begin to leaf out . The blended colours and foliage should be very striking .

Hi Brad75 , ideas are good :lost: , action is better ;) , complete bloody fantastic :tu: , but I haven't finished yet :oops: .

Cheers Fella's . Alpine
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi Alpine
what a sensational job you've done :worship: :worship: it looks a million dollars mate, i only did a small section of retaining wall which i then clad with crazy paving slate and a patio area with samepaving and i was knacked after that , mate you're a workhorse :hooray:
regards
peterb
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi peterb , thanks for the positive feedback , if I keep moving forward I'm making progress . Cant make progress sitting around twiddling my thumbs , thats for sure . Its a pity the walls are almost covered in plants as it hides all the hard work .

Got orders to move the tree's an the ballastrade along the steps as Karen is worried about falling . After yesterdays incident :palm: they are a hard place to take a tumble , the tree's are in the way so there will be breakages sooner rather than later . :oops:

Cheers . Alpine
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by SpongeMann »

That is great Alpine. What do you add to the soil in your plant beds. I want to start growing in the ground. Here in Florida we either have sand or clay. In my case sand. I want to have a gameplan before spring. Any suggestions?
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

Spongeman, add some compost or humus? You get a fair bit of rain though don't you in Florida? Maybe seasonal? I lived in Bermuda, and unfortunately during a drought, but I grew great tomatoes in a sandy soil, that was only about 14 inches deep. Hand watered the lot!
From underground rain water tanks though. When the rains came we were one of the few who did not buy water we had three underground tanks. Victorian property. Bleeding poisoned ivy everywhere though. Bermuda is basically coral island/s joined by causeways.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

SpongeMann wrote:That is great Alpine. What do you add to the soil in your plant beds. I want to start growing in the ground. Here in Florida we either have sand or clay. In my case sand. I want to have a gameplan before spring. Any suggestions?
Hi SpongeMann , mate I'd kill for nice sand . I added pine bark and Euca mulch adding the mulch every year for 10 years then found that the curl grubs and termites just love the stuff so i ceased using it , Still have the curl grubs in the ground but the termites were eradicated . I top dress now with stable manure and rotary hoeing the old mulches in last year with another top dressing to go on now the plants have began to leaf out .

I will be keeping it well away from the trunks as now i have a slater infestation and the love young bark on the trainers . With clay add a clay breaker /gypsum and sand plus humus , with sand add humus / stable manure . Rotary hoeing works miracles , if you dont have one , hire one out it's worth the few dollars to turn it upside down and break it up with a machine .

Cheers . Alpine
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

Spongeman, You can buy prepared compost in a bag. Depends on how big an area you are covering. Gypsum is one clay breaker, but depends on what else is there in the soil too. You could just dig in some dry hay or straw, it rots down quickly. And use it as mulch too.
Clay loam is very good soil with good drainage. But that is clay with lots of organic matter and other minerals. One of the best soils in gardens, with a good moisture holding capacity drainage and air too. But like granite soils, clay on its own, is soggy when wet, and can become anaerobic with nasty bacteria, and sets hard when dry. Just do as Alpine says give a rotary hoe, then add your compost or humus. Sand does not hold moisture well, but it does give good aeration. Yet I know one guy that swore on just plain algae mixed in with the sandy soil, plus leaf and straw, and kept a pond with ducks that encouraged the algae growth. This is out in the bush, not the suburbs. Yes he was a hippie and grew nice you know what too. Best of luck.

We had lived in London's clay basin, in Potters Bar, and during winter my father would sprinkle lime on the soil, after turning it, it froze of course, then the lime broke up the heavily clay soil. Beaut veggies and roses.
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SpongeMann »

Hi Bush bunny and Alpine. I hope all is well everyone. I do live in Florida and as you guys know you can grow many fruit trees in and vegetables in sand . But on my land you put a shovel in the ground and its like butter. The shovel goes in like nothing. My neighbour fixes his soil but he doesn't bother with it too much anymore because he says that all the nutrients seep straight down into the Aquafer . He grows organically. The Homassasa spring is under Spring hill and Homassasa fl . That is why I went organic. It's a community effort. The fertilizers from the community was effecting the spring but it's back to normal.I am going to stock up over winter. Work is real slow right now . Thanks you guys. Your advice saves me hours of internet searching lol
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SpongeMann »

Hi Bush bunny and Alpine. I hope all is well everyone. I do live in Florida and as you guys know you can grow many fruit trees in and vegetables in sand . But on my land you put a shovel in the ground and its like butter. The shovel goes in like nothing. My neighbour fixes his soil but he doesn't bother with it too much anymore because he says that all the nutrients seep straight down into the Aquafer . He grows organically. The Homassasa spring is under Spring hill and Homassasa fl . That is why I went organic. It's a community effort. The fertilizers from the community was effecting the spring but it's back to normal.I am going to stock up over winter. Work is real slow right now . Thanks you guys. Your advice saves me hours of internet searching lol
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Well stage 2 is under way , tiding up the front between jobs
P1100358.JPG
P1100359.JPG
. Its a damn site harder making smaller / narrower walls than tossing the big ones together . Bit rough but it will do the job keeping the soil in place . These Trident's got a trim back to the first node in most cases , the boxing in place for the next section
P1100357.JPG
then it back to the rear yard to complete to short retainers .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

Very nice mate, looks great and I'm sure the trees will benefit from this. Not so sure if you're still functioning 100% after all this work though haha :-P
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mo', been a few years now since I was functioning on all cylinders . I did manage to tear the scar tissue in the lower leg crouching down continually for a couple of days , a little bit more movement but a heck of a lot more pain . It has slowed me down for the last few days hence the Trident work .

Cheers . Alpine
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

alpineart wrote:Hi Mo', been a few years now since I was functioning on all cylinders . I did manage to tear the scar tissue in the lower leg crouching down continually for a couple of days , a little bit more movement but a heck of a lot more pain . It has slowed me down for the last few days hence the Trident work .

Cheers . Alpine
Mate, you gotta take it easy haha. My father in law doesn't stop either despite a bad back and even worse knees! I reckon I'm not far off that level of insanity either though so I can't really talk.

Well done as always mate!

Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

With the fire wood done and dusted and an eye injury to nurture back to good vision I decided to lay a few rocks together to create another retaining wall , display bench and future grow bed
P1120732.JPG
P1120733.JPG
7 days later and good progress has been made
P1120897.JPG
P1120900.JPG
This section is 21 metres long , only 9 metres to go unfortunately I need a break . The wall will have a 75mm x 300mm raft concrete slab cast on top rather than the labourious task of laying fine flat pieces of granite .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”