Tokoname pot being built

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Tokoname pot being built

Post by melbrackstone »

Steve B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Tokoname pot being built

Post by Steve B »

Starts to put things in perspective for the amount of work and effort the average potter goes through :o

Makes me think potters should be exempt from any form of haggling on their wares. I cringe every time I overhear the “would you sell that pot for $x less” line get rolled out. Anybody that has to go through this much effort to produce their goods (not even including how much spoilage they can experience through kiln firing misadventures) shouldn’t have to go through a negotiating process. Or they should at least get legal immunity for causing grevious bodily harm to those asking for a discount.

Could be worth assembling a list of similar vids in the ausbonsai Wiki. Potter’s should direct potential purchasers to the site whenever a request for a discount comes up - unless they’ve already poked them in the eye with a ribbon cutter of course.....
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Starts to put things in perspective for the amount of work and effort the average potter goes through :o
Agree wholeheartedly! Mind you, all artists seem to struggle to "justify" their asking prices, don't they? So many people think "I can do that!" without even considering the amount of effort that's gone into the learning of the craft, the setting up of the work area, and the constant fear of being sent to jail for stabbing yobbos in the eye. ;)
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I almost had to look away at around 11:30 when he flipped his pot back to top-side-up ... I was praying those two fingers would hold on, otherwise ... :crybye:
That's a lot of work ... a LOT!
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

I almost had to look away at around 11:30 when he flipped his pot back to top-side-up ... I was praying those two fingers would hold on, otherwise ... :crybye:
I was holding my breath too...and jealous of his ability to bend his knees so much to get down there! :lol:

yes, a LOT of work. Thor said he makes 2 a day-ish...

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”