Training plastic pots

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Re: Training plastic pots

Post by SueBee »

Duh another senior moment- I did read Bondcrete and then thought PVA. I do have some pond sealer here that I have never used so will try that first. Just back from a 100k round trip to the big green shed and too late now.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
tgooboon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine & Ficus
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by tgooboon »

I find a lot of my potting mix comes through the bottom of the orchid port pots. I have tried putting some oversize pebbles in th ed bottom, but seems like there must be a better way.

I am using a mix of diatomacious earth, quincan, pumice, zeolite, pine bark all sieve 2-7mm.

I really like the orchid pots because they drain extremely well, which is a big positive with my over watering. I can over water til my hearts content and still nothing dies from being water logged, but just don't want to loose to much mix.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

I use flyscreen to line the bottoms or put over the drainage holes of the pots. It works very well and is inexpensive.
Cheers, Frank.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matlea »

.... or plastic gutter guard as its stiff enough to wire in like you do with the more rigid plastic bonsai drainage mesh but more cost efficient.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

tgooboon wrote: October 26th, 2019, 1:56 pm I find a lot of my potting mix comes through the bottom of the orchid port pots. I have tried putting some oversize pebbles in th ed bottom, but seems like there must be a better way.

I am using a mix of diatomacious earth, quincan, pumice, zeolite, pine bark all sieve 2-7mm.

I really like the orchid pots because they drain extremely well, which is a big positive with my over watering. I can over water til my hearts content and still nothing dies from being water logged, but just don't want to loose to much mix.
I use plastic garden sieves (10 bucks from Bunnings ) or nursery flats which have a lot more and smaller holes than orchid pots . They are both really free draining . I like them because they are wider and shallower and I can flare out the root system when the roots are still young . I find when it’s time to move the tree into a bonsai pot it’s easier because I’m not taking to much root mass off the bottom rather it comes off the sides .

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”