Bench/stand ideas needed

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Bench/stand ideas needed

Post by Mbunro »

There was an old hand made storage cabinet in my back shed, made from I'm assuming the leftover floorboards from my house when it was built in the 60s. It was painted white but the back was pristine Jarrah and this is what I managed to salvage..
Thinking of making it into some sort of permanent display in my yard.
Only idea I have is to put some legs on it and then a put a few randomly placed shelves coming off the face to display maybe 5-7 trees. Wondering if anyone has any better ideas though, I'm sure there's something cooler I could do with it...

The fence next to it is new Jarrah, so you know it's oldImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Bench/stand ideas needed

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Mbunro wrote: I'm sure there's something cooler I could do with it...
This looks pretty good - go searching for yamadori?
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Mbunro,
Here's the first one I built. It's made entirely out of hardwood decking boards, but jarrah, treated with decking oil would be as good if not better. If I was to build it again the only thing I would change would be to make the "A" frame section with a wider angle to give the trees more room. The top section is optional, depending on how exposed your display area is. The struts holding the shadecloth can be unhooked and the shadecloth rolled up like a blind. One warning though, this size display stand will quickly become too small and you will have to build more shelving. ;)
Cheers, Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

Make pedestals for display in open spaces, like this:
bonsai-garden-display.jpg
As pointed out above, tiered shelving can quickly become crowded and trees shade each other out.
Also, do not build shelving against a wall or fence - for the same detrimental shade reasons - I am basing this advice on experience. :palm:
There is a reason the pro's use pedestal displays in areas open to sunlight :yes: :
Kobayashi.jpg
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Also, do not build shelving against a wall or fence - for the same detrimental shade reasons - I am basing this advice on experience.
I am assuming Mbunro was talking about using the panel as a vertical backing board with shelves protruding from it. Such an arrangement should look really good from an aesthetic point but not so good from a horticultural view. I'll back Wrcmad's observations above. Wherever possible avoid having trees against a solid fence/screen/backing board. Lack of light on one side will mean poor growth or even dieback on the shaded side unless you religiously turn every tree at least once a week. That doesn't sound much when you haven't done it yet but the novelty soon wears off and you find yourself giving excuses or putting off the turning until 'tomorrow'.
:imo: best use will be to dismantle the panel and rebuild as horizontal benches with plenty of space for the trees to get ample light.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Have you thought of joining some together and making stands out of them? Jarrah is very good timber, would be a shame to waste it.

Just a thought,

Gavin

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”