Treated timber for benches

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
redryderaus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Avoiding cliches
Bonsai Age: 0

Treated timber for benches

Post by redryderaus »

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if there is any issues with using treated pine for the shelves of a bench? Will the chemicals cause problems for my trees?

Cheers,

Steve
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Treated timber for benches

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi redryderaus,
I don’t have treated pine benches but I know there are plenty out there that do and their bonsai don’t seem to suffer any ill effects from them... I don’t think it’s a problem - my understanding is the chemicals are mostly to discourage white ants/fungal issues so, like I said, the treated pine won’t harm your trees... but ...
also those who have treated pine benches find the timber does warp/twist/bend over time (often not that long) which may be a problem you may not have thought of. Hardwoods are probably a better option - although some may not be immune from this issue either. Again, I can’t say for sure, my benches are galvanised steel uprights and galvanised mesh shelving which doesn’t have any of those issues and the mesh means good ventilation under and around the pots which I think is beneficial. The down side... expensive compared to a timber set up. Do a search for bonsai benches in the tab on the top right, I think there will be plenty of other options to also weigh up. Welcome to the forum!
:beer:
Last edited by Ryceman3 on March 24th, 2019, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redryderaus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Avoiding cliches
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by redryderaus »

Thanks for the reply, Ryceman and thanks for the welcome.

I was actually considering 200x50 redgum sleepers for the bench as it is resistant to insect and fungal problems. But it would end up very heavy too. I think any wood can and will warp.

I was just concerned that the anti-fungal treatment of the treated pine might cause probs for species such as pines.

Cheers,

Steve
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I've had no problems with treated pine as benches for bonsai or any other plants. The CCA treatment is well bound up in the wood so does not affect the trees or mychorriza in the pots sitting on it.
You may need to search through the redgum slabs to find some solid ones. Many seem to be cracked or warped. Redgum is resistant but it will still rot away after maybe 5-10 years of constant watering. Treated pine seems to have similar lifespan under the same conditions.
As you've pointed out, any timber will warp as it dries out, depending how and where it is cut from the log. Bolting the slabs down securely while they dry will usually keep them straight but use good solid screws to resist the forces.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

No problems here either. I've been using them for years.

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”