Simple swivel Bonsai stand

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Simple swivel Bonsai stand

Post by Mitchell »

Hi all!

Noticed this low profile swivel base at Buzzings.
Thought I could incorporate it into a stand for working, come display platform.

I like that no "L" brackets have to be used. I think they slightly ruin the natural look of the pole.

For the price of buying the "L" brackets, whats that say $10, your half way towards the price of the swivel base.

Took about an hour to assemble the whole stand, that includes the 15 mins for the concrete footer to set.
I think I will invest in some weather sealing, of the swivel workings as they are not rated for exterior use. This should be as simple as nailing some timber beading around it, on the underside of the platform to deflect water spray. I guess water may still saturate through the treated pine top... Oh well, we will see how long it spins for.. :)

Any way, thought some people might find it novel, especially for large trees, it would be excellent for regular rotating. I think it finished off, nicer than a plastic swivel under the pot.

I am not game to try it yet as the concrete is still setting, but from examining the workings of the swivel, I would be confident that it would support my weight of 65kg on the edge of the timber and still swivel.

Edit~ I am starting to have visions of a self turning bonsai stand. As in, when a veiwer wants to examine the tree, they hit a button and the tree rotates before them. I know I can quickly modify this stand, as I have a high torque 12 v motor in the garage capable of it.... Hmmmmm :D Could be great for exhibitions, where trees are chained off and all sides can not be veiwed. They could slowly rotate for the veiwers. :)

Edit~ Here's a price list for the rest of the stand... there's $5 total staff discount, spread thought that. not sure where specifically.

Concrete Quickset 20kg X 2 $12.00
TP Pole 2.4m 100mm $10.98
TP Slab 1.2m $4.80
Swivel base $20.77
Mending plate HD X 2 $11.20
Timber screws 10x40 $3.38
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mitchell on April 22nd, 2010, 9:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Favorite Species: Serissa,Prunus,Cotoneaster,Fukien Tea,(In that Ord
Bonsai Age: 5

Re: Simple swivel Bonsai stand

Post by Jester »

I love it!! Thanks for the post Mitchell. Now all I need is a back yard!!! Seriously though, it is a very practical design
This message has been created with 100% recycled electrons
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mitchel , good idea i have one the same or very similar .Its a T.V swivel turntable i haven't anchored mine as i carry it from position to position and place it onto a cast iron stool .The lips no the base work well .Cheers Alpine
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

Post by sreeve »

Nice one Mitchell - I have been looking for these at the big B, but havent found them yet......must be looking in the wrong aisle......

I reckon I need to buy 2 of them if they will only support a persons weight of 65 kg :lol: :lol:

Regards
Steve
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

sreeve wrote:Nice one Mitchell - I have been looking for these at the big B, but havent found them yet......must be looking in the wrong aisle......

I reckon I need to buy 2 of them if they will only support a persons weight of 65 kg :lol: :lol:

Regards
Steve
I was meaning on the edge, 30cm off center on one side. If you centered the weight, as you would generally with a bonsai, it would support 150kg. I was making the example as many bonsai are heavily off centre, yet it seems it would still support the weight.
They should be in the builders hardware section. Ask one of the kids, if you can find them. :)

Jester, no problems mate, maybe you could make a smaller portable setup?

Alpine, yeah it could be used for tv's, pack says its a generic rotating base.
Last edited by Mitchell on April 22nd, 2010, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

A mate of mine just waits until the council verge collections when everyone throws out their old furniture etc. Collects some old office type swivel chairs. Pulls the chair bit off, puts on a nice piece of timber and there you have it. A rotating stand with adjustable height that is on wheels so you can move it about. And all for nest to nothing! :D :lol: :D
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

gday mitchell.

that swivel looks like it is galv. so it should be fine with weather, what i would do is just make sure there is grease or oil in the bearings and refill it every 3-6months :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Hey Neal I do the same thing mate
I made the first one about 3 years ago from and old computer office chair. Still have it now and I reckon in that time I could have made another 100 of em too :-)
So many get thrown out it is amazing

ps my next one will have a gas lift too :D

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

kcpoole wrote:Hey Neal I do the same thing mate
I made the first one about 3 years ago from and old computer office chair. Still have it now and I reckon in that time I could have made another 100 of em too :-)
So many get thrown out it is amazing

ps my next one will have a gas lift too :D

Ken
Haha, i'll have to give it a go then. I am still working on an old plastic turntable ontop of two stacked milkcrates :lol:
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Automated turning assembly

Post by Mitchell »

Well after some thought I started work on an assembly which turns the stand, when someone stands on the concealed pressure sensor directly infront of the bonsai.

I wanted someone to walk up and for the bonsai to just start turning slowly in front of them on the stand. I hacked a rotisserie motor/gearbox and added a large contact wheel, via a bolt through the drive gear.

Works a treat! The girlfriend thinks i'm an idiot, nah she thinks it is neat.

Really is impressive to see the plant rotate in front of you... I am happy with the result. :D
I also built a small control unit that allows me to step the motor very fine increments, left or right. Just checked then and I can get 520 shifts in 360 degrees. Should be tops for creating 360 degree you tube vids like this dodgy free hand one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pflhxJecz-o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Mitchell.

bonsai4life
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by bonsai4life »

Very cool Mitchell :o

some Bonsai nuts d have brains :P

Well done mate
Cheers
Scott 8-)
Why is it that some people can't just give there oppinion.....if someone does not agree is there really a need to jump on your shetland pony and pretend its a high horse???
miyagiman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: prunus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: bendigo bonsai club inc.

Post by miyagiman »

work in to the bearings an application of marine wheel bearing grease & the bearing will last quite a long time. you will need to do it before it gets wet for the first time, otherwise corrosion will start to set in immediately. supercheap stores will stock this & its not expensive. cheers, miyagiman.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

did someone say to much time on your hands... :P :lol: nah thats a cool idea mitch. you have the technology to show your trees so now you need work your trees so you can show them ;) :D i like the idea, where did you get the motor and gearbox? and hows is it powered? mains or car battery?
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

Jamie wrote:did someone say to much time on your hands... :P :lol: nah thats a cool idea mitch. you have the technology to show your trees so now you need work your trees so you can show them ;) :D i like the idea, where did you get the motor and gearbox? and hows is it powered? mains or car battery?
LoL, fortunatley I am blessed with being rather good with my hands (when they are not shaking from my back injury). It only took me 20mins to build the control box and install the unit on the table. :)
"I hacked a rotisserie motor/gearbox" available once again at Buzzing for $35 or you can get the motor and gearbox from Jaycar electronics. It is powered by two d sized batteries, which could turn it for about 8 hours non stop.

That's what I thought too, wizz bang display, but nothing to display on it.... Did get this nice scene, this morning of the sun rising on a PJ. Just thought it looked nice, not a good plant though. Moss work looks great in the morning sun, the silvers really show up.
Last edited by Mitchell on April 24th, 2010, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

Post by sreeve »

Great idea Mitchell