Does anyone know of this potter?

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Does anyone know of this potter?

Post by MattA »

I asked in relation to this pot on another post but got no answer so thought I would post it as a new topic. I have had this pot for about 8yrs, having picked it up in an opshop around melbourne. For many years I just enjoyed it as part of my pot collection until 2yrs ago when I put a small native in it (Hibbertia acicularis).

I have done numerous searchs via google etc to no avail. If anyone has any info or other pots by her I would be keen to hear. It is so well made & the glaze is so delicate I find it hard to believe that she has not done other work that I can find. Having said that i have a number of pieces of signed early australian ceramics that I have never been able to find any info on either. There is always more to learn.

Matt

Edit:- forgot to mention size, it is 14cm in diameter & 3cm deep. The glaze colouring is so delicate it really doesnt show up well in the photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MattA on May 30th, 2010, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Ruth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Does anyone know of this potter?

Post by Ruth »

Sorry, not a huge help, but I’ve asked a few Melbourne potters if they knew who had made your pot and showed them the signature image. One person I asked used to teach at Monash Uni so knows a lot of potters, but she had no idea. Everyone suggested I ask Norma at Potters Equipment, she is the matriarch of Melbourne pottery and if anyone would know she would…….

Norma is the sweetest lady and well in her 80’s but still works full time and has run Potters Equipment for years. I had to go and get some supplies today, so took a printout of the signature image. She thought she had met Sue a few times years ago, and thought she might have sold stuff at the market in Foster, but wasn’t 100% sure.

She did give me the name and number of a potter in the Dandenongs that might know her and have more of an idea, so send me a PM if you’d like his details.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: Does anyone know of this potter?

Post by MattA »

Ruth, thankyou so much for going on the hunt for me.. sending you a pm now I would really like to know more as it is such a beautiful pot. I wouldnt say no to more of her pots either :D

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”