Feet

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
kitoi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Succulents
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: San Francisco

Feet

Post by kitoi »

I was wondering if you could also share some tips on attaching the legs to pots as to when to attach and how to attach.
regards,
DK
Doesn't matter the type of foot you decide to make the all attach in the same manner. Everyone says the feet and pot should be at the same dryness so they shrink at the same rate. For me feet are always an after thought, I forget to make them the same time as the pot. The foot usually gets attached a day or two later...some times when the pot is bone dry. I've tried various concoctions to bond the feet to the pot, now I just use the slip that is left over from making pot unless the pot is bone dry. When the pot is bone dry I make the foot and let them firm up to the leather stage, at that point I use low fire slip to make the bond. Low fire clay is used at this stage because when fired to ^5 or higher it melts totally and becomes a glaze making the attachment strong. Using any other liquid the feet would pop off during the glaze fire.

This morning I attached soft clay feet to a leather hard pot. Find the location where the foot with be and mark the spot. Scratch the surface where marked, using a small brush ( I use my finger usually) dip it into the slip and apply to scored area. Take the soft clay foot and place it on the marked area, once in place move the it back and forth till you feel it attach then blend the edges. After all feet are attached flip the pot over on the soft clay feet, now push the pot down on a small piece of wood so the feet will compress making an even stronger bond and to make the pot is level. Now put the pot and wood in a plastic bag, this will slow the pot's drying time and allow feet to catch up in the drying process. Leave covered for 5-7days then dry normally. The thicker the pot the longer it should stay covered.

kitoi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Succulents
Bonsai Club: San Francisco

Re: Feet

Post by kitoi »

Pushed down to compress feet and level pot, ready to bag.
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: Feet

Post by Joel »

That cracked one is one damn sexy pot!

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”