I would appreciate your feedback

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
pjkatich
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: none
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: none

Re: I would appreciate your feedback

Post by pjkatich »

Glenda wrote:I'm not sure what kvan meant, but I would like to see less contrast between the dark colour and the light colour. If the dark gradually faded into the light colour rather than there being a definite line between them, I think these pots would be perfect. Very nice job, Paul.
Hello Glenda,

I appreciate your feedback.

The application that you described above is one that I have been thinking about myself. I am currently in the testing phase of a few such glaze combination's. Unfortunately, there are some chemical differences between the two types of glazes that seem to be getting in the way of success at this point in time.

Cheers,
Paul
pjkatich
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pjkatich »

kcpoole wrote:I like these 3 verry much
the finish on them reminds me of pictures of Jupiter :-) all they need is the "Big Red Spot" http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap090723.html
G-day Ken,

You have a good eye for detail.

You're only are the second person that I know of to offer this particular observation.

Thanks for the positive feedback and the link.

Cheers,
Paul
pjkatich
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pjkatich »

Leigh Taafe wrote:I dont like any of the first 4 pots. I dont like the texture, the bubbly effect that you have created is not appealing. I dont like the colour of the glaze, and I dont like the contrasting colours around the lip of the pots. I think I would struggle seeing one of my trees in these pots. The shapes are great, and the feet of the pots are too. Its just the colour and texture that you have created that I dont like.
Leigh,

Thank you very much for the detailed response.

I appreciate that you are willing to point out what does not appeal to you in such a constructive manner. This is the type of feedback that helps me refine my presentation.
Leigh Taafe wrote:Just my personal opinion. You have posted many pots on this forum that I would fight to get my hands on, if only you would sell them.
Your compliment is much appreciated and please keep in mind I do sell my pots.

Have a great day.

Paul
pjkatich
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pjkatich »

Graeme wrote:Bloody gorgeous pots.
Graeme,

Thank you for the compliment.
Graeme wrote:No need to send that second one to Jamie, he will never have a tree good enough to trial in it.
Jamie, is Graeme correct in this assessment?
Graeme wrote:Now, me on the other hand have exactely the right tree to test in it for you. ;)
What kind of tree do you see in that pot?

Thanks for your input.

Paul
pjkatich
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pjkatich »

Here are a few more for your viewing pleasure.

This group of pots was made from the same tan colored stoneware clay as the previous set and was finished in a saturated iron glaze called Tomato Red.
153-42-10.jpg
153-43-10.jpg
153-44-10.jpg
Your comments are always appreciated.

Regards,
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
senseijames
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Swamp Cypress, Liquidambars
Bonsai Age: 39
Bonsai Club: Kinnoto Bonsai Group

Post by senseijames »

Hi Paul, excellent pots, great glazes and extremely well finished, may I ask what cone do you fire to for your glazes please, regards.
James
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

pjkatich wrote:
MattA wrote:They are all beautiful pots and I would love to see some of my own come out like they have.
Matt,

I appreciate the compliment. How long have you been making bonsai pots?

l
Paul,

I have been making pots for about a month or so, ever since Penny thrust a bit of clay in my hand & told me to make one of my own.

The clay now has me in its grip, I have only been making pinch pots & a few smaller slab built ones to start and have just started experimenting with carving from blocks of leather hard clay. I will post up a thread of some of my pots & how I have been making them.

Your latest creations with the Tomato glaze are beautifully finished. I really like the third pots clear simple line from rim to foot. The other 2 are a little fat bellied creating shadow that is just a little unsettling to my eye, maybe if the feet had been slightly wider set or a little larger to counter the belly?

I had never realised how much goes into making a good pot or how hard it is to get just the right line, shape & form for a pot to work just right. I have only had one firing so far and it taught me alot. I am busy building a load more for my next try. Mainly all mame pots but a few larger pieces are in the works.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Lynette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour, Australian National Bonsai Assoc., APBS

Post by Lynette »

Hello Paul,
Every time I see pots like this I wish that I could throw, but sever back problems stop me. I have a reticulated stone ware glaze that looks similar althought it crawls somewhat futher. I made it using chrome oxide and a white crawling glaze. Have you done something similar.
I really like the glazes and the combination of colours.
Lynette
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Post by Leigh Taafe »

pjkatich wrote:
Leigh Taafe wrote:I dont like any of the first 4 pots. I dont like the texture, the bubbly effect that you have created is not appealing. I dont like the colour of the glaze, and I dont like the contrasting colours around the lip of the pots. I think I would struggle seeing one of my trees in these pots. The shapes are great, and the feet of the pots are too. Its just the colour and texture that you have created that I dont like.
Leigh,

Thank you very much for the detailed response.

I appreciate that you are willing to point out what does not appeal to you in such a constructive manner. This is the type of feedback that helps me refine my presentation.
Leigh Taafe wrote:Just my personal opinion. You have posted many pots on this forum that I would fight to get my hands on, if only you would sell them.
Your compliment is much appreciated and please keep in mind I do sell my pots.

Have a great day.

Paul
Hi Paul,

How do I get my hands on some of your pots? Do you have a website?
Cheers,
Leigh.
pjkatich
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pjkatich »

senseijames wrote:Hi Paul, excellent pots, great glazes and extremely well finished, may I ask what cone do you fire to for your glazes please, regards.
James
Hi James,

I appreciate your compliments.

All my pots are fired to cone 10 (approx 2400 degrees F.) in a gas reduction kiln.

Cheers,
Paul
pjkatich
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pjkatich »

MattA wrote:I have been making pots for about a month or so, ever since Penny thrust a bit of clay in my hand & told me to make one of my own.

The clay now has me in its grip, I have only been making pinch pots & a few smaller slab built ones to start and have just started experimenting with carving from blocks of leather hard clay. I will post up a thread of some of my pots & how I have been making them.
Matt,

Yes, working with clay can be a bit addictive.

You have an excellent instructor in Penny. Under her guidance, I'm sure you will master the needed skills in short order. I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor when the come out of the kiln.
MattA wrote:Your latest creations with the Tomato glaze are beautifully finished. I really like the third pots clear simple line from rim to foot. The other 2 are a little fat bellied creating shadow that is just a little unsettling to my eye, maybe if the feet had been slightly wider set or a little larger to counter the belly?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this particular set of pots. From your comments it is clear that you are starting to develop a good sense for aesthetics.
MattA wrote:I had never realised how much goes into making a good pot or how hard it is to get just the right line, shape & form for a pot to work just right.
You're spot-on with this comment.

When I signed up for my first wheel throwing class I had no idea what was in store. All I knew, was the bonsai containers I needed all seemed to be overpriced and I was sure that it could not possibly be that hard to make what I needed.

Well, I was in for a big surprise. It turned out that there was a great deal more to making a good pot than I ever imagined. However, once I started I was hooked. I've always been a sucker for a good challenge.

Anyway, it took me 4.5 years of working with clay to gain the skills needed to make a pot large enough for one of my wisteria. Here is a photo of the tree that set me on my current pot making path.
IMG_0003a.jpg
The pot is an oval approximately 46 cm long and 14 cm high. This is how the tree looked back in March of this year.
MattA wrote:I have only had one firing so far and it taught me alot. I am busy building a load more for my next try. Mainly all mame pots but a few larger pieces are in the works.
Good luck with your next load of pots.

Cheers,
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pjkatich
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pjkatich »

Lynette wrote:Every time I see pots like this I wish that I could throw, but sever back problems stop me. I have a reticulated stone ware glaze that looks similar althought it crawls somewhat futher. I made it using chrome oxide and a white crawling glaze. Have you done something similar.
I really like the glazes and the combination of colours.
Lynette
G-day Lynette,

I appreciate your compliments.

I mixed this particular glaze from scratch. The base recipe is called White mud crack to which I added a bit of red iron oxide to get the coloration.

I tried mixing some chrome with the base formula. The results were an awkward looking pink.

Have a great day.

Paul
pjkatich
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pjkatich »

Here are a few more for your consideration.

This is a new finish for me.

This set of three pots was made with a brown firing stoneware clay body and finished with an oxide engobe.
259-141-10.jpg
259-142-10.jpg
259-143-10.jpg
Any thoughts on this finish?

Cheers,
Paul
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

these last ones are really nice
Dull looking like an unglazed finished. Nice :-)
Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

hi mate :D
Jamie, is Graeme correct in this assessment?

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTT!!!

thats funny :lol: without blowing my own horn in any way he couldnt be further from the truth :lol: I have cuttings with more potential then him :twisted: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :twisted:

love the last dark red ones, not so much a fan of the second lot you put up, they arent my cup of tea, but can appreciate the work that goes into em ;)

jamie :D
Last edited by Jamie on September 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”