Re: I would Appreciate Your Feedback.

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Hi Paul.
The lizard skin glaze on the first pots is a good contrast to the formal shape. The band along the rim visually holds your eye. I think a band with a runny glaze/oxide wouldn't suit the formal shape and quiet decoration.
The "Buttermilk" glaze is lovely. it reminds me of Hakme decoration - again a subtle pattern which compliments the formal shapes of your pots (they are all so well finished off).
The Tomato Red over the dark clay gives a dark rich colour and adds visual texture which produces a subtle elegance to the pots. I prefer the "in-Your-Face" bright red you get with it over a white clay body but that's obviously not suitable for bonsai pots. A good Tomato Red is difficult to find.
Great combinations of colour and complimenting shapes.
Penny.
pjkatich
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: none
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: none

Post by pjkatich »

mudlarkpottery wrote:The lizard skin glaze on the first pots is a good contrast to the formal shape. The band along the rim visually holds your eye. I think a band with a runny glaze/oxide wouldn't suit the formal shape and quiet decoration.
The "Buttermilk" glaze is lovely. it reminds me of Hakme decoration - again a subtle pattern which compliments the formal shapes of your pots (they are all so well finished off).
The Tomato Red over the dark clay gives a dark rich colour and adds visual texture which produces a subtle elegance to the pots. I prefer the "in-Your-Face" bright red you get with it over a white clay body but that's obviously not suitable for bonsai pots. A good Tomato Red is difficult to find.
Great combinations of colour and complimenting shapes.
Hey Penny,

I appreciate your kind words and many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Lizard skin - that's exactly what my wife called it the first time she saw it. Great minds think alike.

You are spot-on about Tomato Red glazes. This particular one is a tried and true formula that looks good on many different clay bodies. I especially like the way it looks on porcelain.

How did you make out with that Oribe recipe that I sent?

Cheers,
Paul
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Sorry Paul. I have been a bit slack in replying to you about the oribe recipe. It turned out like your typical oribe - shiny green, not at all like it has on your pots. I did take photos to send to you but I can't find them. They must be with some other file. I will try again. Those latest pots a lovely too a very soft, subtle finish.
Penny.

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”