How do you choose a pot? Bonsai+Pot discussion

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: How do you choose a pot? Bonsai+Pot discussion

Post by MattA »

Hey Roger,

Thanks so much for your input, as a potter who has always inspired it is great to have your take on the subject... Sorry to hear you no longer have the time to make them as you once did.

My own path to clay started with a Cycad that needed something special, like you I could not find a pot suited to it amongst those commercially available and further could not find a potter to make it to my specs(some of that disconnect you speak of)... so the journey began, first with slabs (too much hassle) then handbuilding (soo much fun & soo many ways to do this) and finally stumbled upon carving (kurinuki) as the way for me. Deceptively simple...

With regards my comment on freeform pots, I should clarify... freeform slabs/trays are a great way to get the look of a stone slab without the extra weight given by the stone. However, the following is is a prime explanation of my coomment
I will be putting it into a freeform pot/ cresent shape and that should nicely hide the weak roots
I am off to play with some clay & oxide, I particularly love mixing different clays & oxides in a raw state then working into the form it dictates...

Matt

Ps I am yet to make the Cycad pot but am nearly ready to start, enough practice now to do...
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Post by Ash »

Hey Edward- Sorry I have been offline for a bit - this root over rock fig is about 60 - 70 cm high and is in a 50 cm Tokoname tray. It has been one the rock for about thirty years. It was planted on the rock by my bonsai teacher's eldest son in 1981 but the fig had already been a bonsai. It has a hollow in the top and originally was a pot. But it outgrew it and overgrew it.

Some great input here, thanks Roger, Matt, Brett and Edward. I very much like that linked article too. Many of the pots I have chosen for my trees are oval shaped with either convex or concave sides. I find them so easy to match with the tree. And the rectangles that I do have just about all have the corners taken out. Perhaps I have chosen them because they looked softer without even knowing it!

cheers
Ash
Jerry Meislik
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jerry Meislik »

Very interesting discussion.
I personally find rectangular pots just about impossible to use. Like Ash, they seem much easier to use if they have rounded off corners, indents or something to break the straight lines.
Jerry
http://www.bonsaihunk.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Post by Ash »

It was Rogers comment
Roger wrote: unglazed, oxide coloured
that has prompted me to ask this question. Without knowing it it appears that I have chosen green or greenish blue or white glazes for pots for trees I feel are growing near sand or water and dark brown unglazed for trees that I consider growing in forest. I have only been able to get a few oxide, ochre or rusty coloured pots and have used these for more dry climate trees.

When choosing the colour of a pot are you choosing it to compliment the foliage? Or to remind you of the earth from which the plant is growing?

Ash
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ginkgo, Japanese Maple, Stewartia
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Ash wrote:It was Rogers comment
Roger wrote: unglazed, oxide coloured
that has prompted me to ask this question. Without knowing it it appears that I have chosen green or greenish blue or white glazes for pots for trees I feel are growing near sand or water and dark brown unglazed for trees that I consider growing in forest. I have only been able to get a few oxide, ochre or rusty coloured pots and have used these for more dry climate trees.

When choosing the colour of a pot are you choosing it to compliment the foliage? Or to remind you of the earth from which the plant is growing?

Ash
Hello Ash

When choosing a pot, as per the guidelines from the web site provided earlier in the thread entitled 'selecting a pot' http://www.bonsai-keramik.com/en/teorie.html, what comes into consideration is whether you wish to compliment the foliage, or choose a pot with a colour resembling an aspect of the tree.

Usually the tree is complimented by it's pot with a colour that is of the opposite side of the colour spectrum to the foliage/flower colour that you wish to display. For example, a tree that has striking yellow autumnal colour might be seen in a pot that is an appropriately contrasting shade of blue.

On the other hand, choosing a colour based on 'resemblance' to ensure balance in the overall image of the tree, you could look to the colouring of the bark for instance, and use a pot with resembling colour. - You would be surprised on close inspection how much the colour of the bark varies depending on the species.

Of course these sorts of things are guidelines and no one is going to force you to follow their methodology. If you wish to try and mimic the soil that these plants would naturally grow in, then go ahead. Its only a pot after all, it can be changed fairly easily if you don't think they happen to match up.

James
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

We (well my family chose it on our recent trip to Sydney) have bought this square pot and I'm struggling to find what tree and or style of tree to out in to it, if anyone is interested in sharing their ideas I'd be grateful.
The pot:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432473719.453234.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432473752.669098.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432473777.572671.jpg
I really like it and have been scouring the forums for suggestions; this thread being the most relevant to date. It suggested that I find a tree whose trunk colour matches the pot colour and that it is recommended to be in a semi cascade style.

Please help me out!

Cheers
Elmar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Elmar
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Hey Elmar,

By chance I got on to researching pot choice today. I found this link extremally informative. Hope it helps you too.

http://www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/bonsai-pot

Cheers,
Pearcy.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Thanx Pearcy,

this has very similar information as this post and the referred site (see page 1)... but it still leaves me a little lost as to what to use this pot for. Unfortunately I am painfully aware that I don't quite have a tree worthy of the PK pot, but it doesn't stop me from looking!

Thank you anyway
Cheers
Elmar
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:We (well my family chose it on our recent trip to Sydney) have bought this square pot and I'm struggling to find what tree and or style of tree to out in to it, if anyone is interested in sharing their ideas I'd be grateful.

Elmar
I have a Parthenocissus semicordata. Which is similar to Virginia creeper in a similar style pot, ( but I think much smaller pot).
Great Autumn colour and nice contrast to the pot

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

How do you choose a pot? Bonsai+Pot discussion

Post by Elmar »

Hah, very cute! I really like that... My pot is around 5x5 cm...

Would I choose something where the colour of the fruit/flowers are bold?

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Last edited by Elmar on May 25th, 2015, 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers
Elmar
JaseH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar, Natives, Prunus, Maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Waverly, BSV, VNBC

Post by JaseH »

Maybe look into Kusamono or an accent planting.
Last edited by JaseH on May 25th, 2015, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.’
~Chinese Proverb

Hachinoki Bonsai Pottery: FB | WEB
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Interesting option, Jase, thank you.

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger
Favorite Species: Acer
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Soc.
Location: Adelong ....midway between Sydney and Melbourne, off the Hume Hwy

Post by Pat K »

Hi Elmar,

This pot is a similar size to yours but it's glazed. Clinton Nesci planted this Rosemary into it 6 or 7 years ago... it had a longer tail then but what with many fishing trips (me, not the tree!!) and generally lack of proper care I've finished-up with this. Sorry Clinton, but I still love it.

Cheers,
Pat
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Nice Pat.
So Thai was a semi cascade then, too?!? At some stage that is...

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger
Favorite Species: Acer
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Soc.
Location: Adelong ....midway between Sydney and Melbourne, off the Hume Hwy