Liverworts for accents

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Liverworts for accents

Post by Joel »

Liverworts are some of the most odd and amazing plants there are. They are non vascular, just like moss, and thus grow to a limited size. Some species are considered "weeds of the nursery" as they like the constant damp conditions found around such areas. However, it is extremely unlikely you will find them popping up out of your bonsai soil, as it is (should be) too free draining and dry.

However, I am curious about their use as accents. Has anybody on here had any experience with them? Anybody have photos to share?

I am about to try some as accents, or at least get used to growing them in a pot. Steven sent me a really great guide which outlines some ways of collecting them which does not harm the wild population. For example, most species put out "gemmae", a little ball of tissue which has the ability to grow into a new plant. These can be easily harvested and grown. Also, i have found a species covering a rock near my house which i have identified as Lunularia cruciata. Since this is a weed and not native, i will collect some to try out. In case i have incorrectly identified it, i will only collect a small amount.

Here is some information on:
Liverworts - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marchantiophyta

Gemma - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemma_(botany" )

Lunularia cruciata - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunularia_cruciata

Hopefully i will figure out whats wrong with my computer soon and show some pics.

JayC
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Liverworts for accents

Post by Joel »

Ohwell, it was worth a try. . .
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

i've this every where jay. especially where trees are only getting morning sun. i am learning lots about my mixes from this. since using orchid mixes/diatamite. i havent seen it, but still early days. now to get on topic with you. i'd never thought of using them in that way. i might do an experiment my self. thanks jay. :D
Last edited by anttal63 on April 14th, 2009, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

G'day JayC,
Sorry, I missed this post before.
I have tried growing Liverworts but can't seem to keep them going. I suspect that it may be due to tap water (or the chemicals in it).
There is a Camellia nursery in Glenhaven (NSW) that had an infestation in the bottom of their pots. I took home heaps from there one visit ;)
Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

G, day guys I do have a problem with them too but is opposite to you.
Where I keep my minis the gravel that they sit on is always moist.
So I do get them to grow sometimes in propagation boxes too. I just spray it with vinegar to kill it :o :lol: :roll: .
I have not used it as an accent. As unfortunately I find it too invasive where I have to keep up humidty. Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joel »

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yes, it is a weed, and can be invasive in certain conditions. However, i don't find it an issue with growing in bonsai soil, and would have thought that growth on bonsai soil would only occur if over watered, but that would be from MY experience in MY micro-climate.

I have poked some specimens into a tiny pot of peat moss and sand, and it sits in a shallow tray of water. I shall find out soon if i am successful, though i also suspect that chemicals in water might cause issues as they are such simple plants without a vascular system, and therefore absorb EVERYTHING that is soluble around their roots, not just what they need.

Keep trying Steven, I'm sure if its done right it will look amazing.

JayC
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

G,day JayC.
I have just been looking in that area we all have that gets looked at now and again.
Well I had some nursery pot with old seed raising mix 50% coco peat 50% small crushed gravel. One of them was sitting in and old water tray there it was in all its glory a nice patch of green Liverwort. I promptly threw it away.
I was thinking of you so I thought tell him and give him some food for thought it might work for you. That area is now cleaned up again. ;) :roll: Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joel »

Thanks Pup!

Although the pH of Peat moss is lower than that of coco peat, our mix sounds pretty much similar. If mine doesnt work i know its because pH! Or possible many other reasons that i have overlooked.

This was a little spark of interest initially, but is now fading since i found a plant which is some sort of "Club-Moss", that i think will look even greater. This fern looks like a small conifer, and im attempting it now.

JayC

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”