Terrestrial Orchids

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: Terrestrial Orchids

Post by MattA »

Joel, me remind you or you remind me :palm:

For anyone interested in tracking down hard to get species http://www.westernorchids.com.au/ Kevin & Helen are THE experts in the germination of native orchids. If your able to collect seed from a plant they can do the germination or provide a full kit for DIY. I used them a couple of times in the late 80's with varying success (not for fault of the kit). Last i looked the catalogue of flasks was mainly clones of select forms or hybrids, hybrid & species seedlings. They may well have what your looking but not have it listed.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

A couple of weeks on & the stalk is starting to extend.
calnorth.jpg
This is life size, it is important I return it to the bench with the same original alignment.
Calsouth.jpg
The accent is also strongly oriented to the sun, collected as a small lichen in the midst of a moss patch, it has grown 50 fold over the last 18months. I can spend hours lost in this forest.
north.jpg
The colours change dramatically on the south side, as does the understorey.
south.jpg
The dead spot on the eastern end is where a break away segment of lichen took hold & grew out over the side until it uprooted itself into the gravel tray below.
east.jpg
The western end reminds me of a fat cumulus cloud passing over a highspot in the forest.
west.jpg
Unfortunately attempts to germinate last years seed was unsuccessful, heres hoping she seeds again this year :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Heres my pterostylis as promised, there is one with really big flowers which is just starting to show buds but these 2 are nearly out
Craigw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Hey Craig,
They are certainly well established :o Most orchid growers would probably tell you to split them up, I just want them in a decent pot so they can be displayed on the bench during the season. If you can get some clear pics of an open flower from various angles I will see if I can help with ID (if someone else here doesnt beat me to it)
Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Very well grown Craig! What is your mix?

Joel
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by craigw60 »

Thanks Joel, its spent bonsai mix so diatomite and well rotted pine park. They grow in the polytunnel and I stop watering them as soon as the leaves die off and don't resume watering until they start to surface in the late autumn so they are completely dry over summer. Every time I move tubers I take a good lot of potting mix with them to transfer the mycorrhiza.
Craigw
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joel »

Cool thanks Craig!

I'm growing a few species myself. None of mine look that healthy though! I'll post shots of some of mine when in flower (soon). Next season I plan to put some P. concinna into an accent pot. It is one of the smaller species.

Joel
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Pot by Masami Watanabe - Tokonoma, pic from http://www.poterie-du-monde.com/pots-ja ... ,2,361.cfm. I figure as its a sales pic it is in the public domain & blah blah blah. Very quick dirty virt :palm:
ptero1.JPG
Would something like this be deep enough for them to be healthy?
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Joel,
It would be great to see some of your terrestrials if you feel like taking some pics for us?
Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Craigs Pterostylis.
first pic is probably P. pedunculata but I will need to check the flowers as they open. This guess based on the brown top to the flower, upright stance and colony forming. also very common and widespread and in your area.
I guess your id of the second one as P. nutans is correct - nothing else like it. Confirm it when the flowers open and bend over.
A wild guess on the large flowered ones would be P. curta. This guess based on it also being a very common and widespread species that should be in your area and also easy to grow. A photo of the front of the flower when it opens showing the labellum will confirn (or not) this.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by craigw60 »

Joel, will be interested to see some of your orchids such an interesting group of plants
Matt I reckon that pot has not been divided for quite a few years so the depth must be fine, nice pot for an old pine
Thanks Neil I suspect you are correct, I got the tubers through the ANOS tuber bank many years ago and would have picked out local species which increase freely.
Craigw
chrisatrocky
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: CRBSInc., R'ton Bonsai Group, Cap Coast Bonsai Group

Post by chrisatrocky »

Here's a little orchid we have as an accent 'Dendrochilum tenellum'
1.4.JPG
the flowers
5338med.jpg
the size of the flower
5159815417_9354d65246_z.jpg
we have a couple of other miniture orchids which we are going to do up as accents later this year.

chris
I am a giant amongst my trees.
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

The first of several flowers has fully opened :tu:
100_5135rz.jpg
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joel »

That's really cool Matt! Might have to get some from ANOS.

Here are some of my Pterostylis that are in flower now.

Enjoy!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Nice pics Joel. Yours are way ahead of mine.
For victorians who might like to grow some of these fascinating natives Australian Native Orchid Society (Vic) has sales at the spring show.
Come and join with us on 29th-30th September at the Mount Waverley Community Centre and experience first hand the wonders of these amazing plants.
see detailshttp://anosvic.org.au/ANOS_Vic_Spring_Show.html

ANOS also operates a 'tuber bank'. Members with surplus plants offer excess tubers to the tuber bank. Other members can request tubers from the tuber bank. Detailshttp://anosvic.org.au/ANOS_Vic_Tuber_Bank.html

I assume that branches in other states operate similar systems???

Another commercial source is Nsbitts orchids in SA - Nesbitts Orchids - Australian Deciduous Terrestrial Orchids - PO Box 72, Walkerville, South Australia 5081 (Ph (08) 8261 1550 Fax (08) 8266 0372) Email: lesn@adam.com.au
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”