Moss?? Yes or no? Why or why not?

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Moss?? Yes or no? Why or why not?

Post by Damian Bee »

I have just looked at a post on Michael Hagerdorn's blog called the moss myth.
http://crataegus.com/2012/07/05/the-moss-myth/
It lays out 4 advantages to having moss. I recall a certain well known fellow from New York State telling us we were all very naughty Aussies for using too much moss on our trees, especially right up to the trunk. What I would like to know is? How many took what the certain fellow had to say on board and then went about ripping up moss pads? And how many shrugged it off?
One teacher says no, the other says yes. Which way to turn? Look upon your own experience. :lost:

Personally, I love the stuff.
Last edited by Damian Bee on August 1st, 2012, 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
marleey73
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: -

Re: Moss?? Yes or no? Why or why not?

Post by marleey73 »

Moss looks super on the trees but can be very dangerous as I have some rot the trunk of a small fig. Moss should be closely watched if left on the trees. :aussie:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

One thing is for certain is that all world class exhibitions have trees dispalyed that have a moss covering, almost universally from pot edge to pot edge, but not up the trunk.
That is something that Australian exhibitions could follow.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Guy »

The green field look looks great with deciduous but for plant health I prefer different sized tufts with coarse sand or gravel between--tufts against the trunk between surface roots look better than full surround-and never allow to grow up the trunk
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Leaving moss on the trunk can aid in the ageing of the bark. However, left too long it can also aid in the rot of the trunk.

Moss is a side dressing in most cases, and has always been use to create a nice appeal to the tree being displayed.

Dependant on species and style. I have trees with and with out when I have displayed my trees. In some cases it is also used to hold the soil in place, where it is on a slab or the shape of the pot.

We have on the site a very young Chinese elm, because of the colour it looks like a maple. Moss would help in ageing this young tree.

Cheers Pup just my :2c:
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Peter Hobbs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: BSQ and CBS

Post by Peter Hobbs »

I just read the same blog by Michael Holgedron.... was a relief to read... I love moss!
“Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.” ― Ludwig van Beethoven
Emily Csato
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Emily Csato »

If the whole point is to make the bonsai look as it would in a harsh nature, then logically we should do that under the tree. Most popular species of bonsai grow in areas with lots of moss because moss can grow in the most inhospitable places that supports plant life.

But today at the Gold Coast Tweed Club Exhibition I saw the most fabulous melaleuca bonsai. It was a perfect miniature of a gum tree you'd see anywhere in Australia. The artist put red dirt and red rocks/pebbles in the pot, not a spot of green. Moss would have looked so out of place. It was FABULOUS I can't get over it. I want to do one now.
Tony H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata Pine
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by Tony H »

Did you take a pic Emily?
Your karma ran over my dogma
lennard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Rustenburg bonsai Kai

Post by lennard »

I only uses moss when I exhibit a tree. Using different kind of moss you can create depth in your pot.

Most mosses don't last in our heat in summer. I also mulch all my trees on a regular basis so the moss is covered up and die- no long term negative effects.

Lennard
For information on African species and my progression in bonsai visit : http://lennardsbonsaibeginnings.blogspot.com/
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi guys , moss can enhance a landscape or over power it, it can easily overpower the foliage of a single tree taking the focus off the tree itself . . Balance is what is required , i have moss on landscapes and single tree's depending on what i'm trying to replicate .

Moss covering the base on my Swamp Cypress represents the green algae covered bayou's in which they grow .It would look rather strange to have the red scoria soil mix showing against the reddish trunk and it enhances the Cypress knee's .

My P'J Fig Ishitsuki is covered in moss , quite over powering now but it will be removed in various areas to create balance and enhance or highlight the rock itself and the roots growing down the crevices

Some of the mosses i used will dry out and repel water so it is important to keep it moist at all times

This is a typical example of moss growing up here on the Eastern and Southern sides of a Cedars Plantation
P1070401.JPG
P1070403.JPG
Come Spring it over grows the the leaf and needle litter creating a massive blanket of green .

You may not see too much in a concrete jungle but in the great outdoors here its everywhere .

Cheers Alpine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lakepipes
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by lakepipes »

Hi All,

I have moss on my trees for display only and once they are fininshed being displayed the moss comes off.
I like to ensure that my trees are kept healthy and water reaches the entire root system.
I also dont have moss on or around my trunks or nabari and clean the trunks regularly as part of my maintenance program.

When being displayed, i place moss in the pot and around the trees, using different types of moss in a patchwork to give some added depth, but this is only a short term placement.
The moss is then placed in bread trays on the ground where it happily grows for the remainder of the year.

mike
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus

Post by NathanM »

lakepipes wrote:Hi All,

I have moss on my trees for display only and once they are fininshed being displayed the moss comes off.
I like to ensure that my trees are kept healthy and water reaches the entire root system.
I also dont have moss on or around my trunks or nabari and clean the trunks regularly as part of my maintenance program.

When being displayed, i place moss in the pot and around the trees, using different types of moss in a patchwork to give some added depth, but this is only a short term placement.
The moss is then placed in bread trays on the ground where it happily grows for the remainder of the year.

mike
This I agree with.
Moss covering the pot for show, remove when not showing.

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”