A new accent piece.

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: IBS

A new accent piece.

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Hi All,

I had thought about doing this for the last few weeks and today bit the bullet and actually did something about it. My shadehouse has a microclimate of its own, seperate to the backyard and many self sown ferns have cropped up over the last couple of years. Here is a recent photo of part of my shadehouse I am referring too,
Mybabies7.jpg
The thought had occurred to me over the last few weeks about how one of those mounds you see in the above photo, which is bushrock from Holsworthy Barracks (thanks Dad for that) would look in a shallow pot. Well today I decided to lift one and see how it would work and I am rather happy to say the least on how it turned out. The following two pics are two possible fronts, depending on what it is on display with (if I was to ever show one and need an accent), but the only part of this I have done is merely pick the rock up, place it in a pot and then put moss around the edges, I cannot nor will I take any credit for this as I have simply not done it.
TheMountA.jpg
TheMountB.jpg
I had thought about adding a tree to it, but as a dear friend pointed out that it would merely complicate and ruin it. I shall heed his thoughts. There is a maidenhair fern, a couple others that I have no idea on the name of, baby tears and moss on the rock. Who knows, it might come in handy one day.

Cheers

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Re: A new accent piece.

Post by Josh »

Looks good David. I used to work in a English cottage nursery years ago and used to love the baby tears etc. in between the pavers and rocks. I have to disagree though, I reckon a small tree hanging off the side would finish it nicely, would need to be small though.

Josh
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice :yes:
I agree, a small tree will look awesome on the topr right hand slope section :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Shane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: BonsaiNorthwest, BSV, Vic Natives

Post by Shane »

What are the dimensions of the rock and pot? Don't you just love how Nature knows best.
Bonsai was meant to keep me away from the computer.
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: IBS

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Hi Josh and Ken,

While yes the thought of putting a tree onto it is appealing, I don't really want to mess with it at all and keep it simple, I do however have a few others that I might just had to put a tree on, which I can see happening soon.

Hi Shane,

The rock is 220mm high and 300 wide and pretty heavy too lol. Couldn't agree more with you that Nature knows best.

Thanks for the comments Gents.

Cheers

David

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”