Moss landscapes

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
escapetotheforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All mosses
Bonsai Age: 5

Moss landscapes

Post by escapetotheforest »

Hi,

I've been growing moss for many years now but in isolation so I've launched a kickstarter campaign and now joining a few forums to connect with some other moss fans.

Its taken me quite a while to prefect the growing technique and learn about the different species (there are over 20 growing in this coffee table) as well as the environmental controls needed to keep them safe.

I'd love to hear your feedback and more than happy to answer any questions :)

Heres a link with more details and images, videos, etc.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/31 ... ss-gardens
f88166f9fdd9e59eed3cea9dfeaa08aa_large (1).jpg
ddc2cc96cffa2ce8ad5dacd32eb73aed_large.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by escapetotheforest on December 8th, 2014, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Re: Moss landscapes

Post by Jan »

You'll see that quite a few grow moss, here; some for bonsai only and some more seriously - some great images if you go through the old posts. Some great fungi and lichens, too.

Great looking mosses in the table top, I've seen coffee tables used to display all sorts of things, but yours is a first for me. You seem to have gone to a lot of trouble with your coffee table, are they misters either side?

Jan.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Very cool idea, and hope you get some backing for it too. Might even pledge myself come pay week :P

Very cool photography too, some of those macro shots (spiderweb in particular) are awesome!
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

escapetotheforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Jan wrote:You'll see that quite a few grow moss, here; some for bonsai only and some more seriously - some great images if you go through the old posts. Some great fungi and lichens, too.

Great looking mosses in the table top, I've seen coffee tables used to display all sorts of things, but yours is a first for me. You seem to have gone to a lot of trouble with your coffee table, are they misters either side?

Jan.
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look through the past forums, I've done so much searching online but very little on forums which makes me feel a little stupid.

Yeah it's quite a complex system to keep them growing optimally, (especially given its currently in a insulation-free tin rook workshop in Melbourne), the key that you've noticed are fog vents. There's a rather large reservoir and fog chamber in the base and then I pump it out over the moss. If you go to the kickstarter page and watch the video you'll better understand how the fog behaves :) its quite beautiful, it flows and the slightest wind makes it quite turbulent and atmospheric
escapetotheforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Jason wrote:Very cool idea, and hope you get some backing for it too. Might even pledge myself come pay week :P

Very cool photography too, some of those macro shots (spiderweb in particular) are awesome!
Thanks Jason I hope you can :tu:

I'll show you a slightly less macro one of the web so you can get a better grip on just how small it is, unless the fog has been running for a good hour its completely 100% invisible to the naked eye, I thought I'd destroyed it a few times for that reason...
web grey background small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”