Moss growing question

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
Ashleypaine90
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper conifer
Bonsai Age: 9

Moss growing question

Post by Ashleypaine90 »

Hey guys, I've recently acquired a Trident Maple bonsai, for show purposes it had a layer of moss across the top of the soil, I've decided to remove that as I like to gauge wether the tree needs watering dependant on the soil, it's hard with the moss on top. I would however like to grow a nice bed of moss to place around the bonsai when I'm showing it. So I've removed the moss and placed it on top of a bonsai soil mix in this container and sprayed it with a mist bottle until it was thouroughly wet. I've also placed a rock in the middle for the moss to latch onto and placed it in full sun. Any tips on how to grow this moss nicely? Anything I'm doing wrong? I've never grown it before so opinions would be appreciated
Thanks guys ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop

Re: Moss growing question

Post by thoglette »

Ashleypaine90 wrote: and placed it in full sun.
Round hearabouts that'd be a recipe for dead, perhaps fermenting, moss. :o

It does depend on the species but generally moss is found in dappled or full shade somewhere where there's rock and constant mist or dampness.
Ashleypaine90
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ashleypaine90 »

Ok thank you thoglette, so place the container in full shade?

Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Place it somewhere that is similarly lit to where the bonsai is you wish to grow it on. Ditch the lid and add drainage holes. If you can't keep it moist enough without the lid then keep the lid but add many holes. Moss likes air.

My preferred method of growing moss is to place a non-cement (cement is alkaline and will kill moss that is suitable for growing with bonsai) paver in a tray so that it is only partially submerged. The top of the paver should be out of the water but still moist due to wicking water up. Coarse textured pavers are preferred. Sit moss on top. Full sun is fine for me as that's how I grow my bonsai.

Sorry for the short sentences, I'm typing from my phone.

Good luck!
Last edited by Joel on November 12th, 2016, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hawkeyes
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by hawkeyes »

Joel, could I jump in and ask what would you place on top of tile, soil, gravel or sand? for moss to sit on.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

If you keep the lid on you should give it good light but no full sun. If you want to grow it on soil or rock or pavers, check out where it grows naturally in your area. You'll find it grows best when it gets a bit of sun, but fairly constant moisture....

Strangely enough it seems to do best here on the south side of my house, where it's damp for 8 months of the year because the sun is to the north, but for 4 months of the year it gets blasted by summer sun! The damp area dries out constantly at this time of year, but the moss continues to thrive...

It constantly perplexes me....
Ashleypaine90
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ashleypaine90 »

Haha, thank you everyone for your help, I've put some larger holes in the top of the container lid and a few holes in the bottom for draining, it'll get sunlight up to around lunch and then shade afterwards. Because it's summer it's super hot here and the soil and moss will dry out within a matter of hours whilst I'm at work so I'll leave the lid on to keep moisture in. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I've just heard a few different stories wether moss likes full sun or full shade (damp and dark places)
Thanks guys

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”