How to harvest moss for use in Bonsai and Penjing?

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

How to harvest moss for use in Bonsai and Penjing?

Post by Japh »

I recently began a small Penjing project, and want to use moss as a "grass".
penjing_with_apricots.jpg
I have discovered that I actually have a fair bit of moss in my back yard! But I'm unsure of two things:
1) Is it suitable?
2) How best to harvest it for us in Penjing / Bonsai?
moss_for_harvesting.jpg
I've read every thread I could find on here about moss, and while I found some useful info about how to propagate or grow moss, I haven't found anything about harvesting it. Especially from a back lawn!

Looking forward to some words of wisdom :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Re: How to harvest moss for use in Bonsai and Penjing?

Post by Asus101 »

1. knife
2. go to back yard.
3. insert knife into soil an inch or so.
4. ??
5. profit

Its really simple, moss doesn't have deep roots, just lift it up and remove the weeds and as much old soil as possible.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
MasonC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: None

Post by MasonC »

Moss doesn't actually have roots. Thats why it grows so easy. I just pick it up where ever I find it!
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Japh »

Thanks for the info guys! So basically I can just cut a layer from the ground and place it on my Penjing?

Anything I should know about placement? Should I avoid placing it too close to the trees? Is it ok to leave on Penjing all the time?
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
MasonC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: None

Post by MasonC »

as long as the moss has the right amount of water than you can put it anywhere. You can leave it all year but I put new stuff whenever I can.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Before you apply it to your pot and tree give it a good squirt with the hose on the soil side and remove any crud and clay etc, Sometimes moss can suffocate the tree, especially in winter, then hose your tree and then apply the moss.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Jordy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#BF0040]Acer Platanoides[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color]Bonsai, Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by Jordy »

Also, after you've harvested and placed.

Give the moss a good watering once you like its position.
it allows the soil/mix in your pot and the moss + attached soil to bond together :D
Pet hate = being called Jordan. Please, its a Y! not an A! I know its pedantic... but hey, thats me! :D Jordy!
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

I don't leave moss on my bonsai pot surfaces through the winter. It masks what is happening underneath and provides a hiding place for unwelcome crawling creatures to over-winter in. In fact, it is only applied for exhibition purposes really, being attractive on the show bench.
Penjing may be a good excuse to keep it on but don't let it interfere with watering and never completely cover the surface of the planting medium. I grow very fine varieties of moss in flat seed trays and cut this to shape and apply it to the medium surface of my bonsai when needed for display.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

To cultivate moss. Place plane yogurt thinly on a rough surface, a house brick will do in the shade spray mist and watch it grow. Moss dose not need water it will survive on DEW.
Any moss you have around the south side of any where dig it up with minimal soil.
The soil it grows in can have all sorts of nasty grubs and weed seeds hibernating waiting to pounce .
Spray mist with powdered milk to get a nice even carpet but as, Stymie suggest do not let it cover the whole pot surface as it is like velvet water just runs off. It does not need water just DEW mist spray moss but WATER your tree's.

Pup :) ;)
Last edited by Pup on October 13th, 2009, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Japh »

Thank you so much everyone! I'm going to leave the Penjing for 3 weeks before doing anything more to it, just to let the plants settle after their big root pruning and repotting.

Then I'll add the moss and do the rest of the landscape :)

Watching and guiding
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
baristaben
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples and Elms
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by baristaben »

Pup wrote:To cultivate moss. Place plane yogurt thinly on a rough surface, a house brick will do in the shade spray mist and watch it grow. Moss dose not need water it will survive on DEW.
Any moss you have around the south side of any where dig it up with minimal soil.
The soil it grows in can have all sorts of nasty grubs and weed seeds hibernating waiting to pounce .
Spray mist with powdered milk to get a nice even carpet but as, Stymie suggest do not let it cover the whole pot surface as it is like velvet water just runs off. It does not need water just DEW mist spray moss but WATER your tree's.

hi pup, After i put the yoghurt on the brick how long until moss grows? Should i put it in my hot house? Also what do you spray the powdered milk onto?
Appreciate your help
Regards Ben
baristaben
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples and Elms
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by baristaben »

Pup wrote:To cultivate moss. Place plane yogurt thinly on a rough surface, a house brick will do in the shade spray mist and watch it grow. Moss dose not need water it will survive on DEW.

hi pup, After i put the yoghurt on the brick how long until moss grows? Should i put it in my hot house? Also what do you spray the powdered milk onto?
Appreciate your help
Regards Ben

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”