Accents from what

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
Ozmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop

Re: Accents from what

Post by Ozmad »

I think the issue with this display, is that it is too cramped, and this gives our eye to much opportunity to see the whole composition and make decisions about certain elements. JMHO[/quote]

I agree with you Jarrod, there are rules to displaying accents with bonsai trees. This accent is not only to close but is also in the place, plus the accent is the wrong way around, it needed to be more forward and more to left looking at the tree. Plus the scroll in the back ground also draws the eye, which is also positioned incorrectly. When displaying in this way you should be able to look at it as a whole scene and not have you eye drawing in one direction, or running around all confused
Last edited by Ozmad on December 22nd, 2010, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

In the West when we display we are given about a 120cm area to display our tree and accessories. Which is rather small when you consider most displays we see from Japan are in the Tokonoma, which is roughly 1.8 metres to 2.75 metres by 1 metre.
Which as you can see is a lot bigger, so to make our display more presentable we have to, as in all things Bonsai use the SCALENE triangle.

Remember the tree is the main focal point. The direction the tree is moving determines where the tree is placed. Left or right the Scroll if you are using one is 2cm to the left or right of centre, there is some discretion used here, if the tree is large some parts of the scroll can be covered, by foliage,some not a whole lot if that is what will happen, the you can move the scroll. Which should match the scene. For instance if you tree is a cascade it can be a mountain scroll, your accent can then be an alpine plant.

There was a comment made that you should not put an Australian tree with lets say an alpine plant. or a rose. However where ever you are in the world, Grass and weeds grow.

You can also use Mame or Shohin, but not the same species as the main tree, also if you main tree has flowers no flowers on your accent.. If you are using a suiseki with a cascade do not use a mountain scroll.

Now we have some ideas, we have to work out the position for them. So divide your area into 3, so you have 3 sections of equal sizes. Then place the main tree in the area to the right or left as movement directs. It should be towards the centre of the area from back to front. Then place your accent to the opposite side, on the last line of the division, this will then give you room for moving both the tree and accent if needed, towards the front, with the flow towards the tree, so both tree and accent are flowing together. Then when you have done this stand back and look and make your final adjustments till you are satisfied that your overall display make you look at the Scene that you have created.

In Display all trees should be either on a Stand or at least a mat to separate the tree from the table top, be it a covered top or just the table.
I will not discuss stands as we are limited to what we have, but by lending or borrowing stands it helps the club put on a better Show. If you are borrowing a stand, Please treat it with the utmost respect, there is no surer way to lose a friend than to return a borrowed stand that is heavily scratched or broken.

One other point if you have a tall accent it is better if just one stalk or flower is above the rim of the main tree. If you are using a scroll for the cascade with a suiseki one with birds or fish would be OK but not too dominant. If you are using one with calligraphy please have the translation where it can be read if possible.
If you look at my avatar it will help I hope, it is 120cm by 61cm. The scroll reads. An Exquisite World, Harmony Between, Flowers and Peoples Hearts.

I hope this helps you in some way to a better display. Cheers :fc: Pup
Last edited by Pup on December 22nd, 2010, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

Thanks Pup,
You have cleared up some of the mystery
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
Emoska
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Amur Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Emoska »

I thought I'd contribute more to this thread, as I've had the idea that accents grown from weeds would be perfect for the particularly small variety I'm interested in (i.e. for displaying alongside Shohin) :D

After reading Pup's thread, I thought 'Ive got no excuse now, but to give it a go!' And so here are a few 'weeds' I collected and potted recently.

I'm only certain of the Clover, but not the other two :reading: All have grown exponentially since these photos were snapped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Post by Ash »

Emoska wrote:I'm only certain of the Clover, but not the other two
Do you mean their botanical names?

The 'clover' is Oxalis stricta
The 'other two' are Pilea microphylla

Very cute pots, I couldn't bring myself to purposely keep Oxalis or Pilea but I think that the pots, stands and plants are a nice scale and very attractive.

cheers
Ash

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”