Something more conventional

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Something more conventional

Post by MattA »

Another little project I have been planning for a while. Australian handmade art glass platter signed by artist (originally a trophy or award of some kind with company logo ecthed into it), locally collected stone with various pieces of native mosses and lichens. The swath of moss that runs across the front and round the righthand side of the stone is a piece of knitted wollen scarf, it had provided the ideal moisture profile to support this moss, which is up to 1/2" thick in places. Several small sections of zoysia grass have been planted along the backright corner of the stone. I have also planted a load of red maple cuttings i got from a local club members prunings. I dont know if they will take or not but I am happy with it either way. The tray is 45cm wide.
R0013098.JPG
R0013100.JPG
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Something more conventional

Post by Jamie »

nice Matty!

that looks a treat :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Nice matt what size Akadama is that?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Bretts wrote:Nice matt what size Akadama is that?
Hey Brett,

The core is large with a layer of fine over the top with everything bedded into that then topdressed with the superfine to fill round the moss etc. I was really surprised with the grades and there comparative sizes. I will definitely be getting in early with my order next year and will have to seriously up it, especially the large and medium. I have done a large chunk of repotting today and have enough to finish a few more come spring and that will be my lot done for.

The super fine is really really good for the little trayscapes and as I have seen from my earlier experiments provides the ideal conditions for good moss growth.

I really appreciate your efforts in getting this lot together for us all. Let me know what you might want to play with for a stock plant & i will see what i can find in my wanderings as way of a thankyou.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Thanks Matt. As I hadn't seen the super fine yet I am curious :) No worries about organising this and no need for any gifts I have enough stock :D
I am glad it is almost all over though :lol:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jake
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: fig maple swamp cypress
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast Tweed Bonsai Club

Post by Jake »

that looks so good matt!!! got any update pics?
...Hooked on mame & shohin... :D
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Nice Saikei Matt, if you sieve the Akadama you can use the dust for landscaping with the moss. You can also make your muck by adding chopped up sphagnum moss.

So you use all of it, it can also be recyled by putting out in the sun to dry out next time.

I do like your Saikei cheers :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Pup wrote:Nice Saikei Matt, if you sieve the Akadama you can use the dust for landscaping with the moss. You can also make your muck by adding chopped up sphagnum moss.

So you use all of it, it can also be recyled by putting out in the sun to dry out next time.

I do like your Saikei cheers :) Pup
Cheers pup,

As the title says, this is one of my more conventional saikei. I might try & get a good pic of another more me styled one. With the rain that is now falling the moss and lichen will be looking great.

I have to admit to being a bit lazy with the aka & all media. I dont sieve them but use as is. I do try to settle the real fine stuff to the bottom of the bag and not use it tho if some does get into the mix while potting it flushes out with the first watering. I also dont make muck up as is traditionally done rather I use chunks of moss to act as a boundary line, I have never had much trouble with this method as long as I can keep the chickens away from them until it binds together.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Here is one of my less conventional landscapes. It consists of a large chunk of rock from around Moliagul in central Victoria, a well rotted work boot, childs sneaker, a fingerless knitted glove and a few small pieces of lint wadding from a cushion. All has been reclaimed by nature to some extent. I am not totally happy with the balance of this arrangement and will get round to dismantling & rebuilding sometime soon.
R0013185.JPG
R0013186.JPG
I have over a dozen shoes in varying sizes and states of reclamation by nature. It all started long ago when I found a lone shoe on a fire trail miles from anywhere. I wish i had collected that lone jogger rather than just taking its photo. The most recent find was a pair of kids footy boots, the one with the most moss & lichen had been claimed by some ants so i left it where it was and just grabbed the other one.
R0013191.JPG
R0013192.JPG
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

There is nothing lke rain to bring out the best in lichens & mosses, so after a couple days of rain & heavy falls last night they are really thumping and I thought I would share some with you all. None of the maple cuttings took & i removed the zoysia after only a few weeks realising it was going to very quickly take over from the mosses.
landscape.jpg
ovrhead.jpg
rock.jpg
topright.jpg
btm right.jpg
I am most happy to see the small lichen that looks like antler that is just starting to grow in a crack on the bottom right part of the stone, from the front view it is not visible because of the hidden gully that runs along the foot of the stone & exits at the front left corner.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”