Dwarf grass to accent

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Dwarf grass to accent

Post by Andrew F »

Gday guys/gals,

Can anyone suggest a nice dwarf sp. of grass to accent so figs at all????
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Re: Dwarf grass to accent

Post by Mitchell »

My suggestion, would be to look around you. Walk the dog, go to the park, take a wander in the local reserve.

What did you find? ;)

The more I learn of "Bonsai", the more I appreciate what is right under my own nose.
Look and you will indeed be surprised. :)

I'm not trying to rip you off, by practicing this I now have grasses/ moss and ferns that no other Bonsai Artist in Australia possesses.
Kinda special and not a lot of effort.
Last edited by Mitchell on January 2nd, 2011, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki

Post by Andrew F »

Mitchell wrote:My suggestion, would be to look around you. Walk the dog, go to the park, take a wander in the local reserve.

What did you find? ;)

The more I learn of "Bonsai", the more I appreciate what is right under my own nose.
Look and you will indeed be surprised. :)

I'm not trying to rip you off, by practicing this I now have grasses/ moss and ferns that no other Bonsai Artist in Australia possesses.
Kinda special and not a lot of effort.
Ok, i didnt know the protocol on taking native flora lol i have been doing that heres some moss i lifted from the carport behind our building:
Yesterday: Image
And as of today with a good drink of water and a bit of milk: Image
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

VelvetSicklid wrote: Ok, i didnt know the protocol on taking native flora lol i have been doing that heres some moss i lifted from the carport behind our building:
As a matter technicality, all native flora is protected & should not be collected, even from a gutter in the street. Having said that, if its not a reserve, State forest or National park then you should get away with it...

One of my favorite places is under high tension power lines, everything is regularly mowed to ground level. I was questioned once by a local ranger when collecting some euc's from under local lines.... I explained what I was doing, what I planned for the pieces I was removing and my reasons & justifications... I eventually had to bring the ranger home & show them a few trees that had come from under the very same lines. I have never been stopped while collecting since...

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki

Post by Andrew F »

MattA wrote:
VelvetSicklid wrote: Ok, i didnt know the protocol on taking native flora lol i have been doing that heres some moss i lifted from the carport behind our building:
As a matter technicality, all native flora is protected & should not be collected, even from a gutter in the street. Having said that, if its not a reserve, State forest or National park then you should get away with it...

One of my favorite places is under high tension power lines, everything is regularly mowed to ground level. I was questioned once by a local ranger when collecting some euc's from under local lines.... I explained what I was doing, what I planned for the pieces I was removing and my reasons & justifications... I eventually had to bring the ranger home & show them a few trees that had come from under the very same lines. I have never been stopped while collecting since...

Matt
That what i thought, the figs and umbrella i scored were from my parents rain gutter off of the side of their house it was going to be thrown in the bin thats pretty much why i grabbed it.

Does anyone here have dwarf grass growing with their bonsai at all????
micka01
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by micka01 »

the other day while watering i found a tiny dietes bi-colour seedling in the top of 1 of my pots

plucked it and potted it into a small pot i hade no use for

i like the look of it at the moment hopeing i can keep it small enough in its wee lil pot

i'll let u know how it goes if u like

give me a few mins i'll put up a pic it looks just like a grass at the mo.
micka01
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by micka01 »

would b better in an even smaller pot but dont have 1 so this had 2 do

never know if u dont give it a go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki

Post by Andrew F »

Looks good mate and i look forward to another update.

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”