Natural reclamation (lots of pics)

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Natural reclamation (lots of pics)

Post by MattA »

I found this little piece of foam approx 10yrs ago in the bush with a fair amount of moss & some small spots of lichen, the condiment tray it lives in was found in an op shop for 10cents. I drilled a few small holes in the bottom & bedded the foam in some soil with moss to bring it level with the edge, over the first year all the moss died or got washed out with rain & watering and the soil packed down to its own level. Since then the moss & lichen have fully covered the surface & grown to become an amazing landscape that captivates me for hours. Enjoy...
gold11.jpg
gold10.jpg
gold9.jpg
gold8.jpg
gold7.jpg
gold6.jpg
gold5.jpg
gold4.jpg
gold3.jpg
gold2.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MattA on March 22nd, 2011, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Re: Natural reclamation (lots of pics)

Post by MattA »

& a few more
gold1.jpg
gold12.jpg
gold13.jpg
gold14.jpg
All have coped with cultivation, the only issue is an occasional buildup of salts at some of the extremities of the foam & lichen, this is usually cleared by a few days rain leaving some browning that can be seen in gold12.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
vgarth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria, Northern Suburbs Bonsai Club, Bonsai Norws

Post by vgarth »

Exquisite. :cool:
Barry1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Barry1 »

Very very nice Matt ; I love what you have done :worship:
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Thanks Val.

Barry, I just took the pics, nature has done the work for me :tu:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Barry1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Barry1 »

True Matt but you have to have the vision to be able to see the beauty in nature and I think you have framed that :yes:
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kurume Azaleas,Figs, Wisteria, Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 53
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast, Tweed Bonsai Club

Post by Hackimoto »

It's amazing how many people go bush walking and only just see only the path that they are walking on, hear nothing, (usually listening to music) and don't take in the aromas of the surroundings. They then say what a nice time they had. Like you, I notice every fold of bark, the patterns in the mosses and lichen, and the subtle sounds and smells of the forest. Children usually take in the small details and have an appreciation for nature which we become blind to as adults. I love your beautiful pic's Mat, keep them coming (especially ones like the old sand shoe) :cool: I had an old bottle with a patch of lichen growing on the shoulder of it a few years ago but unfortunately the lichen died. I also found a an old car wreck with a large staghorn fern growing from the junction of the door and body of the car. Again when I went back with the camera to photograph it the whole car had been removed and taken away. A good lesson on procrastination. Look forward to more of your great pics. :worship:
Steve Warren
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: NATIVES-MELS
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Steve Warren »

Awsome natural composition Matt. Great photography too. I too spend alot of time in the bush, but me thinks my eyes are only 3/4 open. Great find mate, keep them coming.

Regards

Steve Warren (formely Steve W)
If it were not for my trees, maybe I could see the forest.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Some people have stopped or never have taken pleasure in the little thing around Us. Being able to appreciate and find beauty in mundane things that someone will never notice is a gift and a blessing.
It makes ones life richer...
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

That Looks awesome Matt. Amazing what one person sees compared to another. When we travelled around Australia we spent two weeks crossing gone nullabor. People thought we were crazy, most said they did it in 2 days. When I asked "did they see the blow hole", they would say " what blow hole". We put our feet in the southern ocean in the great Australian bite, most say "I never thought of doing that " (no wonder at 110 kmh, music on, DVDs for the kids. The same when we spent 5 days travelling a gibber road from Alice Springs to Roxbury Downs. They thought we were crazy spending that much time in the outback, after all there is nothing to see but dust out there. They were surprised when we told the it took us to the geographical centre of Australia, past an old home stead with palm trees and other shrubs and a patch of grass still growing even though the homestead is long gone. We saw lizards, snakes, kangaroos, eagles, eagles eating kangaroos, hot springs, sand that was red in the day and orange on dust. But there was nothing to see out there.
It's amazing as mentioned by hackimoto how many people walk through the bush and never see it.
Well done Matt.
Josh.
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Neli :clap:

Josh, I have read other posts about your trip & it sounds awesome. I was very lucky as a kid, my dad insisted the family holidays were taken as far from civilisation as possible, each year we spent 6wks in a national park with only the wilds to entertain, it has had a profound effect on how I see life, the universe & everything. ;)
42 Mice ~Imperfection

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”