Growing epiphytes on bonsai?

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Natives, Mosses
Bonsai Age: 0

Growing epiphytes on bonsai?

Post by Hornet »

wondering whats everyones thoughts of growing moss, ferns, orchids etc etc on bonsai, is it a generally accepted practice?
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: Growing epiphytes on bonsai?

Post by Joel »

I don't know if it is accepted but anybody who has ever been anywhere even remotely tropical will tell you it occurs VERY frequently in nature. Personally, I quite like a small Asplenium or Dockrillia under the canopy of a banyan styled Ficus. I do bonsai for myself. Never displayed a tree. And when my banyan styled trees are large enough I plan to do similar things, so long as they are small.

Joel
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hornet »

Orchids have been my main passion plant wise for the last 10 years and seeing them on gaigantic trees in the bush made me think miniature orchids could work quite well on a large bonsai, some on the smaller creeping ferns would be great aswell size wise. Chances are i will never be displaying bonsai in a propper bonsai show so i guess it doesnt matter too much if its not formally accepted
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

As long as it doesn't affect the health of the bonsai, be creative! and enjoy it!! :tu2:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Hiro Saito commented that moss on the trunk of my tree was a no-no. It can prevent dormant buds from growing and may keep the bark too wet leading to possible rot.
I don't know any epiphytes that would be small enough to look right on a bonsai.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hornet »

There are hundreds of orchids small enough, some even small enough to not look out of place on a small bonsai, some small ferns around aswell that would look alright on larger bonsai
missybonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Post by missybonsai »

shibui wrote:Hiro Saito commented that moss on the trunk of my tree was a no-no. It can prevent dormant buds from growing and may keep the bark too wet leading to possible rot.
I don't know any epiphytes that would be small enough to look right on a bonsai.
in relation to the moss rotting the trunk, im inclined to agree, however i have read somewhere that moss cultivated on the trunk can promote the ageing of bark, ie make it more corky or cracked. it takes years apparently. never tried it mysself cos of the rot factor, but i dont know...
would love to grow miniature orchids on bonsai, or even just mini orchids by the themselves :cool:
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

It depends on the host too. Figs, for example, have smooth bark and would not make a good holder of moisture for moss. Species of Dendrobium and Dockrillia that like dry winters would probably do really well on them though. I would not worry about the trunk of a fig rotting as it would simply set out roots instead if the moisture content were sufficient.

Joel
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kurume Azaleas,Figs, Wisteria, Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 53
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast, Tweed Bonsai Club

Post by Hackimoto »

Living in a sub-tropical climate there is a lot of natural epiphytes that attach themselves to older bonsai. The lichens, mosses, and sometimes small stag and elk horn ferns and others just pop up. The job is to not let them become too abundant. Personally I like the effect of lichen on part of the trunk as it creates a feeling of age and permanency. I sometimes even transplant them onto the trunk , holding them in place with fine fishing line or cotton until they take. I have also done the same with small species of Tillandsias (Bromeliads) and orchids such as Bulbophyllum minutissimum. I have been warned against this by higher powers but have not had any problems so far. The main point is that it enhances the bonsai, not take over and become the focus of attention.
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kurume Azaleas,Figs, Wisteria, Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 53
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast, Tweed Bonsai Club

Post by Hackimoto »

A tillandsia, mosses and lichen growing on a Swamp Cypress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”