Experimentation pays off

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
Pat093
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Eucalyptus.
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Experimentation pays off

Post by Pat093 »

hey drew,

Just kinda drawing from the subject but with the water i drain from my fish tank when doing a gravel clean, i put that on these two gardenia radicans and they have been going crazy since i started doing it.

I just get moss from work and crumble it up in a plastic bag untill i want to use it, then i just put it under the layer of rocks on my bonsai pot and then it grows :)

Pat
"I'm always look'in out my own eyes"

Pat
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Natives, Mosses
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hornet »

i will add that the water requirements depend on what moss your trying to grow, the common cushion moss that grows in pots seems to thrive on tap water but some of the more exotic looking mosses can be touchy, giant moss is one of the worst i have found.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Thats right John, some ive got do well with a watered down seasol tea the other brown off and die.
Any one got any good tips for getting their moss fluro green and luscious.

@ Pat ROFL i thought i was the only person who recycled aquarium water, only problem is i use alot of sea salt so i need to be careful of where i dump it.
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Natives, Mosses
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hornet »

all depends on the moss. Some are very difficult, requiring good air movement, high levels of filtered light, humidity plus dry periods. Most of the easy ones though just need good light (not full sun, not dense shade), constant water and depending on species good quaility water, rain water is always best (or RO, distilled demineralised etc) to minimize mineral build up

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”