The Whirlpool

Share pictures and information about Japanese gardens, ponds, water features and Koi in this forum.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

The Whirlpool

Post by MattA »

When you move into a new house you dig a new pond, well more than one but this was the first. All part of an overall plan to control & direct the huge amounts of rainwater runoff that come from bushland behind me. This was mid to late 2007.
whirlpool2007.jpg
In 2009 the first pond was filled in with overflow from the main pond channeled underground to the front flood pond. Unfortunately it wasnt enough to handle flows so a solution had to be found.
whirlpool2010.jpg
In April 2010 I started digging out for a flood pond. The initial digging went well except for the camphor laurel roots which I cut thru to fit my plan. I knew they existed & have incorporated a major one into the embankment next to the steps that sit on top of more roots!
whirlpoolmaya11.jpg
The turn stone in place and the first section of floor laid. Then more digging...
whirlpoolmayb11.jpg
I managed to get a fair bit of floor done before the rain came.
whirlpoolmayc11.jpg
By December I had managed to get the rest of the digging done. There was no hope of it ever drying out due to being in the clay layer.
whirlpooldec11.jpg
Finally completed in January 2012 it has fast become my favorite space in the garden. A hoped for bonus is a whirlpool effect during heavy flows from the top pond. The floor is slightly lower than the creek it flows into ensuring a nice shallow pool lasts long enough for tadpoles to grow in :tu:
whirlpoolfeb12.jpg
Looking down into the shadows, it wont take many years more to get a really nice dense canopy over the whole space. The main trees are Japanese raisin (Hovenia dulcis) with an English mulberry at left and Gymnostoma at right of the steps.
whirlpoolaltfeb12.jpg
I am not the only one who enjoys the space.
whirlpoolfeb12dogs.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: The Whirlpool

Post by MattA »

With the rain of the last few days the Whirlpool has been flowing full force and the frogs are singing double time. A short video taken from my office window today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5piHUtpF ... e=youtu.be

Hope you enjoy frong songs & rain as much as I do.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
TheNumber13
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by TheNumber13 »

That transformation is beautiful. Can't even really tell that it's the same little suburban type space.
I love landscaping with a purpose, and you've nailed form and function. :tu:
Cheers,
Pat

(Grow little ones, grow.)
karraway2
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by karraway2 »

Great job, i kept going back to the top photo to make sure it was the same place.... very nice!
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Looks like the frogs are singing your praises for giving them a place to chill, looks great.

Lol @ Hugo, that dog cracks me up.

Return to “Japanese Gardens, Ponds and Koi”