MY NEW BONSAI GARDEN

Share pictures and information about Japanese gardens, ponds, water features and Koi in this forum.
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Re: MY NEW BONSAI GARDEN

Post by kvan64 »

Haha kc. That oz stand is very ..authentic. What a mix of western and oriental parts :)
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

Loretta wrote:That's really nice Chris, I would love to include water like that but we have such a problem with toads. Maybe I could have water high up off the ground :idea: :idea: You've got me thinking 8-) 8-)
Might I suggest a combination of elevated pond and table; you’ll need somewhere to sit and contemplate your trees, and a cuppa would complete the scene.

I’ve been looking at deep, large glazed pots (with no hole in the bottom) meant for small water gardens. I fancy the idea of sitting some rubber spacers on the rim to support a piece of glass cut round to make your table top. If you make your spacers 20 – 30cm thick you should have plenty of air flow for plants and fish in the pond (a fish or two will eat mozzie wrigglers etc.)

If you roll a strip of aluminium Fly wire into a sausage shape and sit it between the rim of the pot and the bottom of the glass you should defeat the toads. Planted with a waterlily to bloom beneath the glass, and a comfortable chair…..

Just a thought,

Jan.
Rod
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wide range
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Qld

Post by Rod »

G`day Loretta , living in QLD I know what a problem toads can be . To be able to have water in my garden I have used a large pot as a water feature, so far I have had no problems with toads. Here are some pics of my collection, I have most of my trees on benches due to a lack of space. I also have some larger trees on monkey poles made from treated pine sleepers and logs. I don`t no what I will do for space in the future as I have another area with trees I am styling and growing on. One thing to give some thought too is the amount of sunlight yours trees will get in your new garden.
Cheers ROD......
bonsai 7.9.09 032 pond rsz.jpg
IMG_1119bk yrd rsz.jpg
IMG_1117 B area 1 rsz.jpg
IMG_1118 B area 2rsz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

Gday Rod :D

man i love your place, i could spend hours looking at and studying your trees, and your whole garden for that matter, those monsters you have scattered around look great too! they give a nice feel to your grassed area then looking through your patio to the display area looks great!

one day i will have a collection as fine as yours :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Loretta
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by Loretta »

Thank you every one who has posted photos and given advise. Some of those photos have given me some great ideas
for my display stands and I will certainly be referring to them when I'm actually planning my area out. The winter sun at the moment has thrown quite a large part of the area into shade, but come spring (for a very short period) and then summer (for the next 9 months) it gets full blast afternoon sun which can be unforgiving :o There is a large mango tree in the yard at the back which prevents that area from getting any morning sun...so I think the tree loppers will have to do a job on it :twisted: :twisted: I'm also considering a narrow GARDEN "POTTING" SHED being in the area where I can pot and not have to carry heavy pots all the time and store all the bonsai stuff in. I really want to do a good job so I appreciate all the hints I can get. :mrgreen:
thanks Loretta
Loretta
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by Loretta »

A little bit of progression is happening at long last :D
Have been working in my new area all day today...mainly erecting a small lawn locker which gave us no end of trouble (helps if you know what you're doing I guess) :oops: Had to get my son-in-law over to help us out... too confusing :D :D
cheers Loretta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all types
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: The South Australian Bonsai Society

Post by Chris »

Now that looks good sitting in a pool floaty looking over your bonsai area that looks bliss.
NO TREE IS SAFE

Return to “Japanese Gardens, Ponds and Koi”