My Pond

Share pictures and information about Japanese gardens, ponds, water features and Koi in this forum.
Mack_187
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 0

My Pond

Post by Mack_187 »

G'day

This is my pond.
17012011[2].jpg
It's about a metre wide and deep. I have a tiny yabby in there, 3 or 4 goldfish, some shrimp and some mudeyes.

I'm not running a pump, just a little fountain running off solar power so i'm cleaning it once a month.

I was just curious of what everyone else has in their ponds and what kind of pumps and filtration they were running and how much in electricity it costs etc

Or even if you have any tips for this pond, to keep the workload down and to spend more time on the trees.

Cheers Mack_187
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paddles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: a live tree
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Re: My Pond

Post by paddles »

Just a quick note, if you have a yabbie, you soon won't have any fish....

we have a large pond/creek and have waterlilies, lotus, various other water plants, we have goldfish, some little native fish, and surprisingly guppies (must have been sucked out of the fishtank one water change...

any particular questions that you have???

Oh, we also have a massive filter pump system... best thing I can say, sunlight causes algy (so shading your pond works well, but not good for flowers etc, a daily clean out is better than one massve one a mth, (ie 5 min a day) treat it a little like a fish tank, and do a partial water change once a week (when I had a little pond, I took a bucket out every day (used it to water my trees, they loved it, i still water out of the pond) and put a fresh bucket in.. kept the water clean.

Oh, if you would like a waterlily, and feel like coming to one of bendigos meetings, I'm happy to give a waterlily...
Last edited by paddles on January 18th, 2011, 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Mack_187
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Mack_187 »

G'day Paddles

Was just curious as to what everyone had in their ponds and the type of filters and pumps etc and afew tips to keep it cleaner. I might drag a tree over to the pond to give it abit more shade and give it more frequent little water changes. And thanks for the kind offer of the water plant, I wouldn't mind checking out your club some time. Is it on the first monday of the month ?

Cheers Mack_187
paddles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: a live tree
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by paddles »

4th sat.(I think)... contact details should be in the club section. I often don't attend in winter (raceing season for me) but pm me if you get a chance to come up...
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
FatMingsBonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: The internet / Ausbonsai

Post by FatMingsBonsai »

Hi guys,

Where would I be able to buy a small or large solar powered filtration from in Melbourne??

Cheers,

Han.
If it looks good,..GROW IT !!!!!

BIG Bonsai are Beautiful !

Return to “Japanese Gardens, Ponds and Koi”