2 weeks in japan

Share pictures and information about Japanese gardens, ponds, water features and Koi in this forum.
Hutch11
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley

2 weeks in japan

Post by Hutch11 »

Hi guys,
I am heading to japan for two weeks in November and just wanted s few opinions from those who have been. I plan to stay in Tokyo for two nights and prob the rest in Kyoto and visit the gardens and shrines What is worth checking out, what isn't. Where is a good place to stay etc etc. Is omiya bonsai village near to Kyoto. Can u purchase bonsai there and send back to Australia!?

Any trip advice and info would be really appreciated,

Thanks
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all types
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: The South Australian Bonsai Society

Re: 2 weeks in japan

Post by Chris »

Hey hutch it sounds like u will have a great time no advice from me as i have never been there. Jarrod was the last person i now that went that way :)

have fun and don't forget some pic's
NO TREE IS SAFE
Chris H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All of them.
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: School of bonsai

Post by Chris H »

Hutch

Omiya is north of Tokyo it is a fair trek from Kyoto.

I have stayed in Kyoto a couple of times, if you are looking for a backpackers type accomodation I can help, send me a PM and Ill find the link (its on a different computer)

Most of my time in Japan is spent in Osaka and Ill be scouting two nurseries I have found there when I am there in March. Osaka is a train ride from Kyoto so I will let you know when I am back.

Kyoto is a beautiful city youll have a ball, 10 days will certainly see all of it. Maybe have an extra day or two in Tokyo, and that way you can get up to Saitama and see the Omiya village. It is worth the time if you are into Bonsai.

Cheers

Chris.
Aikido keeps me rolling; Bonsai keeps me still.
Akamatsu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Pines, Maples & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 37

Post by Akamatsu »

Hi Hutch,

Omiya Bonsai Village is to the north of Tokyo. Its not too hard to find. Any tourist info center will help you get there.
In Kyoto, there are just so many places to see. Theres a bonsai nursery 'Kojuen' 5 minutes from Kyoto Station by taxi. It is located at around 800m to the west from Toji temple.
A good temple complex to see is always Kyomizu dera in the hills to the east of the city.
Good luck and have fun. Take heaps of pictures fo us later :fc:
Akamatsu
盆栽を育てるのが好きです。
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Post by Webos »

Gday Hutch,
Omiya Bonsai village is about an hour north of Tokyo. You would take the Keihin Tohoku line, Takasaki line, Saikyo line or the Utsunomiya line from Shinjuku or Ueno stations and get off at Omiya station. Then get on the Tobu-Noda line (You have to buy a separate ticket since its a privately run line) and its ony 5 minutes or so to Omiya Koen Station. Get off the train, cross the railway line and you are in the Bonsai Village.

Hutch, PM me if you want any info on places in Japan..I lived there for 8 years so I might be able to help you out with recommendations or whatever.

Webos
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Never been that lucky yet.
Your Question as for importing trees, yes, but make enquiries here first to see what quarantine requirements are. Friends of mine have imported Satsuki Azaleas Maples both Japanese and trident. They also said the more the cheaper, as the charges seem to be not per item. More on the Batch.

There are some that are definate no-no's and some require longer quarantine times. The treatment can cause problems.
I had two Trident maple shohin given to me, by a mate who brought them back one has since died, and the other one still struggles after the methyl bromide treatment.

Enjoy your trip, cheers Pup :mrgreen:
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing

Return to “Japanese Gardens, Ponds and Koi”