Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus tereticornis
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: 0

Cutting stones- what do you do?

Post by Ces »

Hey Guys,

So I'm looking to have a few stones cut for my first foray into suiseki display. I am slowly working my collection down to a couple of dozen of my favourite trees and have finally begun working on display options for them. I have a good number of companion plantings going. All very young but at least I've started them and now I'm looking into stones.

In terms of having them cut, I've had a google search and found several stonemasons in the area but they dont seem to be the type of businesses where you can walk up with a few rocks and have them cut for you. I haven't called them yet but the big green shed doesn't mention stone cutting in their services list on my store's website.

Just wondering what fellow stone lovers do when they decide a stone would be better served by cutting? I know this process is frowned upon in the world of stone appreciation but it does happen. The stones I have at the moment are average at best and will primarily provide practice for making daiza's. looking forward to April when I'll be heading to northwest NSW with stones as far as the eye can see.

Appreciate the advice guys.

Cheers,

Ces.
Last edited by Ces on January 28th, 2015, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Re: Cutting stones- what do you do?

Post by Jarad »

Hey Ces,

If you're going to be doing a lot of stone cutting, have you had a look in bunnings?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/to ... vAodhHwACA

http://www.bunnings.com.au/flexovit-105 ... r_p6370117
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
JPG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop of WA

Post by JPG »

The easiest way would be to hire a brick saw with a diamond blade, which should have no problem cutting most rocks. The only rocks you might have some problems with are very hard, fine grained cherts, but otherwise you should be fine. If you can, try to get a solid blade without the notches as sometimes the notches can cause rocks, especially soft friable ones, to break whilst cutting.
Rustdust
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Rustdust »

Well I was a bit bewildered when I was reading your post ... thinking

"what's a suiseki display" hmmm It must be some bonsai term I haven't heard yet "

then as I read on and I see you talking about rocks ...

Ahh OK must be rocks used for ROR bonsai

... then I read on, thinking ...

"there talking about stone selection and getting a stonemason to cut some of theses rocks, gee this person must really like there Root over Rock Bonsai" :palm: :lol:

OK OK so im only new to Bonsai and I had no idea what suiseki was so I Google'd it ... all I can say is .... well to be honest Im not sure what to say :)

What I will say though is I have collected many rocks over the years, mostly Dinosaur fossils from various parts of the world and a few gemstones too, I would suggest to you and anyone else that is in to suiseki to find a local Lapidary club, they will be doing all sorts of cutting and polishing and have the machines to do so. Also keep an eye out for local gem shows in your area, they are normally run by the local Lapidary club's and would be a good place to start and make a few friendly contacts.

Cheers Rust
Last edited by Rustdust on January 28th, 2015, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Although a tree is a thousand Chang in height, its leaves still fall to the ground.
bonsaibruce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai Club

Post by bonsaibruce »

Greetings, the usual advice is NOT to cut stones for display. It does decrease their value.
Look on-line to find a better way.
Happy bonsai,
Bruce.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

I have cut a number of stones using an Ozito grinder with a diamond blade. Pretty cheap from bunnings. Depends on how hard the stones are, really hard stone is really hard to cut.

Josh.
CraigM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Waverley, Vic Native and BSV

Post by CraigM »

For suiseki purposes, personally don't believe in cutting the stone. If the base is uneven can look at displaying in a suiban (shallow tray) with river sand. If you do cut the stone, it would decrease the value of the stone as mentioned above. Having said that, if the stones are no good as they are, cannot do any harm trying to cut them so that they can be used.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

I think the stands are carved to match the stone not the other way around, or are you going to bond the rocks to a chinese style tray? Like a penjing setting?
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi Ces
If you're looking to sell some of the suiseki you do, don't cut. If it's for your own pleasure and display i would cut the base as it makes carving your daiza a hell of a lot easier. :imo:
I've done a few now , and i cut them with a grinder and diamond blade. A really good timber to use if you're starting out is western red cedar , it's soft and easy to carve and the grain doesn't run away with you when you carve along the grain ( and it's relatively cheap ) . I'm about to start carving my first daiza for an uneven ( rounded ) base .The stones take on a whole new dimension when they're on a daiza, good luck :)
regards
peterb
Ces
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus tereticornis
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by Ces »

Thanks everyone for the responses and suggestions.

If I ever come across a decent stone, I wont imagine cutting it and if I cant carve the daiza myself I would probably commission one. But these stones are far from decent and will only be used for personal display with trees around the home and mainly for wood carving and daiza design practice. Athough I have since found a small stone that will serve as a good first step into carving an uneven base daiza without being too daunting. But I'll wait until I get a bit of confidence with the carving.

A little more research has lead me to think that hiring a brick cutter may be the way for me for these stones but I'll wait until we get one to pave our side path.

Thanks again guys.

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”