Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Beach rocks

Post by Isitangus »

Just spending this heatwave on the NSW south coast and have noticed a number of rocks which I could envisage using probably for RORbut also suiseki. Are there any issues associated with rocks collected from salt water areas's? I currently have a few soaking in fresh water which is being changed regularly?
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Beach rocks

Post by alpineart »

Hi Isitangus , i don't know of any actual laws but the authorities frown on collecting anything from public beaches and or public waterways , be it rocks or coral even if it is washed up . In Victoria you can't legally collect cuttle fish , or up here picking paper daisies , yet they slash the daisies on the road sides , its different rules for different states . I had permission to collect 4 rocks from the resort Island in QLD , got back to Melbourne Airport and did i get the stick for trying to bring coral in to Victoria even though it was declared . They were shown the note giving permission but all was confiscated . Bloody silly because i can post the stuff in the mail and you can but this stuff in shops up there on the mainland .

I have a prospecting license , however it is illegal to prospect within 20m of a public waterway , and this law dates back to 1887 yet the use of a pan with a license is legal , your just not allowed to rip up the stream beds manually or mechanically . They don't enforce it and sell licenses to do it , however if you get caught with a dredge they can and will take you equipment including your vehicle and your loot .

The laws are there to protect people from going out a getting loads of material and selling it , to take a rock or two is not really a crime , costs more to punish , however they do punish environmental vandals seeking to destroy the environment by taking loads of material .

Hope this helps
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

I think Alpine just about wraps that one up.
If you are soaking gone salt out in fresh water for the recommended time you should be right :fc:
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Beach rocks

Post by Isitangus »

Thanks for the info alpine. I'm not looking to collect large amounts of rock nor rocks I can't comfortably carry in one hand, I'm also not looking to disturb coral etc. the rocks ive noticed are part of a recent break wall addition. I'm more curious at any issues re health Implications to plants etc from the rocks being exposed to salt water?
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Insitangus , plenty of plants grow in salt water and on the coastal are's , soaking will dilute some of the salt however a lot can remain . I have used sand purchased from a quarry 200klms inland to find its full of salt , and no good for concrete not too good on my bonsai either , Yet i have grown plants on coastal sandstone , limestone and coral without soaking . I don't think its a major issue , bit like lime in cement it doesn't seem to effect my bonsai except Azalea's and i don't put lime anywhere near them anyway . I can't see it being a major issue .

Cheers Alpine
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Beach rocks

Post by Isitangus »

Thanks again!

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”