lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Root over rock?

Post by lackhand »

So I've had this piece of stone for like a decade now (my wife is thrilled that I keep hauling it around), it's actually petrified wood. My original hope was to grow a root over rock on the thing. But then I saw a tree Colin Lewis did where he ran all the roots in back, and from the viewing angle it just looked like the classic tree growing out of a cliff. :shock: Sadly, I can't find a picture of that anymore, :cry: but I think it might work on this chunk. Maybe I'll send him an email and see if he can provide a photo or some thoughts on how to do it . . .

Anyway, please share your thoughts on what I should do with this rock.
IMG_1728.jpg
IMG_1732.jpg
IMG_1733.jpg
IMG_1730.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Karl
Rhuumz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: none

Re: Root over rock?

Post by Rhuumz »

I do not know anything abot RoR but it looks like a long way down for the roots to hook in....

How about if you tip the rock to the left in the first picture so that you could have it in the corner of that alcove.. or on top cascading down the front of the slope and down the back side?
bonsaibruce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai Club

Post by bonsaibruce »

Greetings from the Great SouthLand,
Your rock is too nice to hide with a bonsai.
It needs to be displayed as a beautiful rock in it's own right.
You will need a nice suiban, shallow tray without a drain hole. A copper tray or dark glazed, but not blue.
Because of the uneven base you may need to pack something small underneath to stabilize it.
Position the rock towards the back, but centred.
Fill tray to hide base with fine white sand, try hardware shop or zealite used as a filter for swimming pools.
Post pictures of your masterpiece.
Happy bonsai,
Bruce.
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Root over rock?

Post by Isitangus »

I like your idea of ROR, maybe a nice small fig or similar. I would have the base of the fig on the ledge and as you said the roots down the back and side. Maybe one root down the front crevice. I think you would need to keep the plant itself smallish so it doesn't detract from the size and power of the rock/wood. Like a ying yang. Big powerful rock. Small powerful pleasant tree.
You have lots of options that for sure
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

I have to agree with Bruce, this is far to nice a piece of petrified wood to stick a tree on. Keep hauling this one around and go find a less interesting rock for your ROR. That should also keep the little ladies thrill level up there on high as well. ;)
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Graeme wrote:I have to agree with Bruce, this is far to nice a piece of petrified wood to stick a tree on
All in favour say ..Aye. Way to nice a rock to hide. Beautiful piece on its own.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lackhand »

I didn't realize that first picture was so washed out, but it does show the character pretty well so I suppose it will do. I also forgot to post dimensions. It's 20 cm high and about 13 cm at the widest point.

So it sounds like I need a more boring rock to plant on, eh? I've never tried anything with suiseki or penjing styles, maybe it's time. Could make a really nice backdrop for some tiny little trees.
Cheers, Karl
bonsaiboy50
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by bonsaiboy50 »

viewtopic.php?f=133&t=6313

Nice piece of petrified wood . Have a look at the link and see what i did with a similar piece many years ago.
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lackhand »

bonsaiboy50 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=133&t=6313

Nice piece of petrified wood . Have a look at the link and see what i did with a similar piece many years ago.
Thanks for sharing, that's very much what my initial plans for the rock were. Do you have any updated pics for that tree?

In truth, one of my first bonsai projects (obviously far too ambitious for a beginner) was trying a root over rock on this, and the poor mistreated nursery stock tree did not survive. :palm: Years later I'm confident that I have the experience and patience to pull it off, but my vision for the rock has changed.

I'm now thinking much more about trying to put a very small tree on the little shelf on the right hand side of the front image. Having grown up in the Rocky Mountains, I naturally want to put a pine tree or maybe a Colorado Blue Spruce up there. Sadly, those trees typically aren't very happy in the climate I live in now so I'll either have to pick something else or wait until I move again in a few years.

I actually did email Colin Lewis regarding the tree I mentioned in my first post, and he said that he does have pictures but only on 35 mm slides. He is planning on having them scanned into digital images and he said it would be posted on his site when that happens. :cool:
Cheers, Karl

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”