Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Greeting Stone

Post by Jan »

When we first moved to the new place (still seems "new"- well, we had lived over 30 years at the last one), we went for a stroll around the boundries of the property. As I walked along looking at the views, the condition of the fencing etc, something "winked" at me. I took a step back to realign myself with the glint of sunlight reflected from a facet in this rock. Naturally, being a fan of interesting rocks, I unearthed the rest of this stone and pocketed it. I washed away the soil to find this interesting crystaline confection with a natural flat base.
2013-03-15_11.21.33_Stone.JPG
The Stone now "floats" on the slightly smokey glass of a low table set into a BIG bay window (five double, floor-to-ceiling windors make up the bay) facing the rising sun. I have a glass coffee table flanked by two, matching lamp tables in the bay window space; the lamp tables hold ferns (loving the mild conditions and morning light), the coffe table displays the Stone and whatever else is at it's best - at the moment a Maiden Hair Fern, but at times a bonsai, an orchid in flower, really, whatever takes my fancy.

Hopy you enjoy it,

Jan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jan on March 15th, 2013, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: Greeting Stone

Post by bodhidharma »

Jan wrote:Hope you enjoy it,
I did very much. Thanks Jan, and you know where this stuff is there could be Gold.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

bodhidharma wrote:I did very much. Thanks Jan, and you know where this stuff is there could be Gold.
Yes, Bodhihdharma, there is a gold mine not too far from here that they are talking about reopening. A couple of quartz reefs traverse the property with the odd spectacular crystal in them. For me the "Gold" in this peice was the relatively unusual, almost "book-leaf" structure of the crystal formation and the moss green tinge to the base.

Glad you enjoyed it,

Jan
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Very interesting Jan, it's amazing what you can find when you keep your eyes open. Takes me back to when I was a child digging up rocks – mostly quarts crystals – on our acre block in the Adelaide Hills. I used to want to be a geologist when I was 7, then we moved to suburban Melbourne and the interest was lost. A couple of years ago I rediscovered my box of rocks (that I had lugged around from house to house), and have since started integrating the more unusual ones into my bonsai passion. On rare occasions I still pick up the odd stone, usually on holidays, as a memory stone, a reminder of an adventure.

Cheers,
Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Nice find Jan. I'd be looking a little harder for something a little shinier. When we travelled around oz, my youngest daughter would complain she didn't have enough room in the back. Apon closer inspection I would find 30-40 rocks at her feet ranging in size from marble to bowling bowl :palm:
Although it cost a future we posted quite a few home to friends for her to keep as memories of our trip. They are now sitting pride of place around our home.

Josh.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Here's the stone showing the book-leaf structure better.
2013-03-15_14.38.38_Stone.JPG
cre8ivbonsai wrote:Takes me back to when I was a child digging up rocks – mostly quarts crystals – on our acre block in the Adelaide Hills
kidsandall wrote:Nice find Jan. I'd be looking a little harder for something a little shinier. When we travelled around oz, my youngest daughter would complain she didn't have enough room in the back. Apon closer inspection I would find 30-40 rocks at her feet ranging in size from marble to bowling bowl :palm:
Although it cost a future we posted quite a few home to friends for her to keep as memories of our trip. They are now sitting pride of place around our home.

Josh.
Nice to see there are another generation of rock fanciers coming on, Josh.:tu: My earliest memories are of quartz rocks on a family farm (about 2 yrs old), cre8ivbonsai, and my eye is still drawn to rocks today. Hope you enjoy the stones and the memories as much as I have. I incorperate somewith my trees these days.

Jan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Wow that is a very nice stone! I'm much the same, I have a tendancy to pocket any interesting stones I come across on my walks

However the most interesting thing I've found at my house, is an old, smooth piece of brick (which I still pocketed lol) :P
Last edited by Jason on March 15th, 2013, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

JPG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop of WA

Post by JPG »

Hi Jan

Sorry to dig up an old post, but to me that looks like quartz crystals with an intergrowth of mica, which forms book-like crystals (most likely muscovite given the size, but could be biotite) where the mica has weathered out, leaving behind the hard, resistant quartz. Nice find.

Image this rock if you removed the muscovite
http://www.spiritrockshop.com/images/_01229.JPG

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”