New rock

For lovers of rocks.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

New rock

Post by SueBee »

I found this lovely rock today and think I will use it for a Shohin ( or try!). Any advice on species good for planting into a rock and should I drill a hole in base? I have a diamond bit plus a masonry bit so can do it if needed.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: New rock

Post by shibui »

Your rock must be so nice you are afraid to show us :lost:

There are 2 basic divisions of rock planting:
1. Root over rock where the tree sits on the rock and roots spread over the surface and into the soil under the rock. Tree is often larger than the rock. The exposed roots are a major factor in this style. Rock, roots, trunk and branches should form a harmonious overall design. Ficus and trident maples are the best species with strong roots, Chinese elms and pines are also good but the roots don't thicken up quickly like the previous mentioned sp.
2. Root confined to rock where the roots are contained in a pocket of soil in/on the rock. Trees are usually smaller than the rock but still need to harmonise with the overall arrangement. Holes are sometimes made or enlarged to allow for the roots of the plant. Keto (japanese word for mix of clay and sphagnum moss) can be used to hold roots and/or potting mix in place on a rock. Junipers are often used. Pines, chemaecyparis and other mountain species look good. Most species would work well on a flat slab, groups of trees are often placed on flat slabs of rock.

Here's a thread for my shohin juniper/rock planting viewtopic.php?f=158&t=22305&hilit=+shohin
You should also be able to find plenty of other threads with rock plantings.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

AGGGHH Thanks Shibui...I meant to resize and upload and - had a senior moment - as usual.LOL
Here it is and thank you for the advice- welcome always.
2012-05-13 04.24.03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Wow, good rock.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

That certainly does have some possibilities. Plenty of great rocks out there on the volcanic plains. Maybe I should try to find some time to go out and pick up a few more.

Shohin sounds easy but are actually quite challenging - first to keep something alive in a small container and secondly to design an attractive tree in such a small space. I lost a lot of my early attempts and it took me quite a few years to hone cultural and design skills before any sort of success.
Hope that does not sound too negative, just trying to gently prepare you for reality :(
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Git it thanks Shibui, I expect the rock will last a lot longer than what I plant in it but worth having a go. Is there anything that really likes growing in a rock aka Shohin?
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Ficus, esp rubiginosa are great for shohin sized bonsai and are tough enough to survive drying out occasionally. Just a little frost tender so it will need some protection in winter. Fortunately ficus do well inside the house unlike most other trees so you can keep it inside in winter if you live in a frosty area.
Junipers do well on rocks but will not last long if it gets too dry. Same with Chinese elm. Steven has a really nice twisted shohin crab apple. They are fairly hardy so may cope with rock planting.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Thank you Shibui, we do get a few frosts here - not a lot and I think last year we had one out of the box at minus 7 but luckily I was in Qld and nothing was damaged when I came home. I did like that Crabapple of Steven's, might have to find me one...mine in the garden is not interesting in the trunk so will leave it there and look elsewhere.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I'd be tempted to use it for an accent like sedum or a succulent... tis a nice rock, but there's not a lot of room in there for a tree's roots. :(
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

You could be right Melbrackstone, I have plenty of sedums so if one doesn't work maybe the other will. I feel the rock is the perfect size for Shohin rather than an accent but time will tell what happens---watch this space! :cool:
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I suspect Steven's crabapple is from a root cutting. Roots are generally quite flexible so they can be wired and twisted into tighter curves than any trunk. Apples grow well from roots but be aware that many garden crab apples will be grafted so the roots of those will not give you the same sort of crab apple.

We get down to -7 here too. That's way to cold for ficus but, as mentioned, they can be taken inside for the winter and will love it.
Last edited by shibui on January 18th, 2018, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Shibui, My crabapple in the garden is a Golden Hornet and yes it is grafted..so I guess roots no good? I will keep a look out as I would like a crabapple bonsai anyway. I might ferret around the soil and look for a nice root just to see what eventuates but a true crabapple would be my choice - I'd love to miniaturise the fruit too. We get maybe 2-3 frosts a year and that minus -7 was one out of the box for sure...usually -2 to -4 is major here. I have a huge morning-sun-filled shop front (old general store ) where I keep my indoor plants so a fig would be happy there too in the winter. yesterday's 42 degrees didn't do any damage here thanks to good watering and lots of shady trees. My problem is finding enough sun these days- I have to really think when I want to plant something new. The Bonsai bench has optimum position in full sun though.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Golden hornet has medium sized fruit for a crab apple. It is accepted that while leaves reduce in size, flowers and fruit don't reduce to the same extent.

I have 'profusion' in the garden which has purplish leaves and dark red fruit about 6-8mm diameter. Rosellas are currently working through the apples so there will be none left in a few weeks. I struck some stem cuttings last winter and will take some roots next winter (this one is not grafted) and try for some twisted trunk shohin.
I also have another old bonsai Malus floribunda (variety unknown) which has very small apples ripening to yellow if I can keep the birds off it long enough. I suppose I should also take some cuttings from that one as well and then some root cuttings from those in future.

That extra cold night caught many people unaware and damaged plants that don't normally suffer frost. With only a couple of frosts you may even get away with keeping figs close to the house, sheltered by the eaves but your general store shop front sounds ideal for overwintering subtropicals like figs.
Heat plays havoc with smaller trees in little pots. They just dry out so fast. Water trays/ humidity trays have been the solution for my shohin bonsai.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Sounds like you have plenty to choose from Shibui. I keep all my plants in trays in Summer heat and some under shade of my big Loquat tree which is also part potting shed area. I am now intrigued by the idea of a root cutting and have a few apples I could try too....would cherry work I wonder? Plenty of cherry suckers too. I am in the process of having my back deck roofed as it faces West and North but it will also provide a shaded area with only late afternoon sun when the roof goes on...been waiting two years for carpenter but he just tells me "late Feb"...not what year!! :fc:
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Quite a few plants will grow from pieces of root. You probably already know the weeds that do it. Elms, apples, cherries, quinces (including chaenomeles) are often propagated this way.
Here's a previous thread that looks at how to and lists more species.viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6055&p=82091&hilit= ... ngs#p82091

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”