Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Collection areas?

Post by Jow »

I am interested in doing a little suiseki collecting and was wondering if anyone had a some suggestions as to where i might find stones of suitable geological make up in Australia. I like the patina that iron stone gets but it is often hard to find them any larger than 3cm across. I was lucky enough to do a little collecting in Japan in a famous river in Shizuoka, although i was not particularly successful in finding many good shapes, it did make me aware of the importance of quality stone. I would love to find a similar stone source here that produces hard and smooth stone of good colour.

Any one have any ideas?
Last edited by Jow on May 3rd, 2010, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Re: Collection areas?

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Jow, the best stone I have seen came out of central Australia where it had I presume been shaped by wind and sand.
Craig
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jow »

DO you imagine that those stones would produce a patina with handling or were they more of a sandy surface? I really am after stone that will develop a patina.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

not a clue jow, but like you i am partial to a god suiseki but finding them is quite a challenge. i am that pedantic about them that the ones i had have gone now as i wasnt happy with them. i know some beaches down brisbane have some nice interesting stones but i think they dont like it when people take them. regan will be able to tell you more!

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Jow, the rock I saw was more like iron stone not sandy at all but very hard and smooth. it was collected by Geoff Vanner from the BSV. he has quite a lot of suiseki. I guess the biggest problem is getting out there and finding it.
Craig
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by craigw60 »

I just spoke to Geoff and he recommended Darby bay at wilsons prom. he said to pack a lunch and walk up the river bed. This area is a national park so you would have to consider that. He also said some of the gorges around alice springs have some lovely rock.
Craig
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Another good place is where i am in the Central Highlands. I live at the foot of Mt Franklin which is an extinct volcano. Lots of interesting rocks in the area. Maybe even find some gold :lol:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

Central Australia is the place I would suggest. Though a bit far to go for a few rocks! Next time the old man heads off he will be shown what to look for and should return with some awesome stuff. He often goes fossicing for semi precious gems and we both facet them. Just don't have enough time to do it!
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Hallet cove has s mix of rocks dumped by a long past glacier.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

I have found stone in all sorts of places, even a city street... But....2 really good areas are the lower Molonglo river in the ACT and around the old gold mining areas of central Vic.

I lived at Burkes Flat for a time, I had rock and driftwood gardens as it was too dry & I didnt have water for plants. When I left the farm I took alot of rock with me, unfortunately the dryland lichens didnt survive the very damp Yarra valley. I have just 2 pieces that survived, 1 due to the fact it remained packed in a box for 3yrs, the lichen sprang to life when it finally got some water again. The other is slowly starting to regrow its shield, maybe in a few years it will be back to its former glory and worth showing again.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
gargar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Geelong & Northwest

Post by gargar »

in between Anglesea and Pt Addis is Red Rock, lots of ironstone unfortunatly not fantastic shape but nice color.look hard youll find something. beautiful secluded beach and best root on rock semi cascade i have ever seen. contact me if you want directions
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jow »

gargar wrote:in between Anglesea and Pt Addis is Red Rock, lots of ironstone unfortunatly not fantastic shape but nice color.look hard youll find something. beautiful secluded beach and best root on rock semi cascade i have ever seen. contact me if you want directions
Sounds like a good start.... a good bit closer than central Australia!

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”