MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Ideas for this stone

Post by MattA »

I have had this stone for a number of years & it has been in & out of different pots & trays as none has ever quite felt right.
The ceramic base it sits on is 11cm, rock is 7cm high. 510 is front, 519 is looking down the hole, 520 shows hole exit at base.

Any ideas???

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Amanda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#008040]Ficus & Natives[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FF00BF]AUSBONSAI.COM[/color] [color=#00BF00]۩[/color]

Re: Ideas for this stone

Post by Amanda »

No idea Matt, but it's a beautiful stone.
Failure and disappointment is part of the learning process. ~ Paul (pjkatich)
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice rock

#515 Reminds me of the Skillion at Terrigal

http://www.agfg.com.au/guide/nsw/centra ... l-skillion
http://knol.google.com/k/the-skillion#"

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

Is the hole natural or man made?
If it is natural, then it is worth having as a viewing stone. Mount it in a timber block and admire its beauty.

Or... Perhaps you might have yourself a new style.... Root in rock. :D
Last edited by Mitchell on May 20th, 2010, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Mitchell wrote:Is the hole natural or man made?
If it is natural, then it is worth having as a viewing stone. Mount it in a timber block and admire its beauty.

Hey Mitchell,

I picked this piece of stone up during one of my many camping trips up the murray. I cant remember exactly where I was at the time I found it, somewhere between melbourne & the river in nth west vic. One of the attractions for me is the constanly changing colours of its lichens as they go thru the wet dry cycles. It gets no artificial watering at all, surviving as it always did on natures supply. Thankfully summer here in newcastle is sufficiently dry to not majorly affect the dryland species I am soo keen on. The winter wet doesnt seem to bother them, but they NEED the summer dry. I am thinking of making a completely water proof area for some of the more temperamental that elude me in keeping. Some of my rocks were wrapped & boxed for over 4yrs with the lichens coming back to life as soon as they were unpacked & watered thoroughly. The joys of the desert!

Matt

OOps forgot main point of all the above ramble... timber would look good but it would also rot over time.
Last edited by MattA on May 20th, 2010, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Amanda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#008040]Ficus & Natives[/color]
Bonsai Club: [color=#FF00BF]AUSBONSAI.COM[/color] [color=#00BF00]۩[/color]

Post by Amanda »

Reminds me of the big one at Somersby Falls :)
Failure and disappointment is part of the learning process. ~ Paul (pjkatich)
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

MattA wrote:
Mitchell wrote:Is the hole natural or man made?

Hey Mitchell,

I picked this piece of stone up during one of my many camping trips up the murray. I cant remember exactly where I was at the time I found it, somewhere between melbourne & the river in nth west vic. One of the attractions for me is the constanly changing colours of its lichens as they go thru the wet dry cycles. It gets no artificial watering at all, surviving as it always did on natures supply. Thankfully summer here in newcastle is sufficiently dry to not majorly affect the dryland species I am soo keen on. The winter wet doesnt seem to bother them, but they NEED the summer dry. I am thinking of making a completely water proof area for some of the more temperamental that elude me in keeping. Some of my rocks were wrapped & boxed for over 4yrs with the lichens coming back to life as soon as they were unpacked & watered thoroughly. The joys of the desert!

Matt

OOps forgot main point of all the above ramble... timber would look good but it would also rot over time.
Didn't realise it was a living stone! :D I don't believe rot would be an issue. Hardwoods can last for decades in moist environments. Coating the timber in a poly-urethane clear coat, would also protect the stand and not let the water penetrate it.

Got some more pics of your other lichens? I'd love to see.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Hey Mitchell, is some more pics here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=209...

Will also go and get some photos of a local one that I havent managed to keep.. as yet... tho think I may have worked out the reason & hence the key to having some in my collection.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

MattA wrote:Hey Mitchell, is some more pics here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=209...

Will also go and get some photos of a local one that I havent managed to keep.. as yet... tho think I may have worked out the reason & hence the key to having some in my collection.

Matt

Oh, sorry. I did see those, didn't realise it was you that posted them. :)
Regards, Mitchell.

MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

A while back a very special pot made its way into my hands thru others. It has 2 very distinct cracks that just work for me. Amongst my experiments planned with the Akadama was to test its suitability as a bed for moss & lichens. So far the results have been fantastic showing a particularly good medium for lichens to take hold & grow on.

Critiques most appreciated regarding the placement of the various elements & any additions or changes that could be made to improve the composition. Rocks are a whole other world from bonsai.
PICT0036.jpg
PICT0037.jpg
PICT0039.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Amongst the odd cracked pieces from my last firing was this one. I knew before firing that it would as I heard it go, greenware is VERY brittle, thankfully it is only in the rim & front face, it will not overly affect the structural integrity of the pot. Unglazed 19 x 12 x 2.5cm it is one of my largest pots & made from a mix of one dominant clay with small bits of 2 contrasting clays lightly mixed thru.
R0013856.jpg
R0013855.jpg
R0013860.jpg
Would love to hear others thoughts on this combination. Does my hunt for a suitable home for this rock go on?

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

The rock/pot look like a good combination.

Have you considered a predominantly white gravel? I think that it might harmonise with the pot, accentuate the white lichen on the rock and contrast nicely with the dark color of the rock. The addition of a small "accent rock" with harmonising rock or lichen color, positioned to balance the hole rock but not distract from it, might work, too.

Love the hole rock and its lichen colony,

Jan.
Tony Bebb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers/Pines
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Queensland Inc.

Post by Tony Bebb »

Nice rock. I would carve a daiza for it and make a little bamboo laidle with bamboo rests to sit on top of the stone. Be a fun job carving the wood to get the top of the stone flat and would make a nice companion to a Bonsai in a display.
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Click here to visit my Blog - A Bonsai Journey
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

The pot & stone are really starting to settle in well together, I am liking how the crushed sandstone is maturing. An experiment in seeding lichen has been partially successful & gives me more ideas to explore over time.
100_3651rz.jpg
100_3655rz.jpg
Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

The lichens tie it all together very well. I think the stone is too strong to work well with a tree, it stands very well on it's own. The lichens make me think of a "living suiseki". Rocks for contemplation can be a bit stiff and cold - the lichens soften the composition. Nice invention.

Gavin

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”